PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install time ubunto 9.04

yamahajohn
June 25th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Hi,i have just joined the forum,could i ask if there is anyone who knows how long it should take to install ubunto 9.04 as the one im insatlling on my toshiba 7200 laptop with intel pentium111 with windows xp home has been on the creating virtual discs window for 3 hours does it take this long,thanks john.

irv
June 25th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hi,i have just joined the forum,could i ask if there is anyone who knows how long it should take to install ubunto 9.04 as the one im insatlling on my toshiba 7200 laptop with intel pentium111 with windows xp home has been on the creating virtual discs window for 3 hours does it take this long,thanks john.

How are you trying to install it? From within Windows XP or as a duel boot with XP? To install as a duel boot you would boot with the live CD and once it comes up to the Desktop you would chose the install icon and follow the prompts. It took me about 30 to 45 minutes to do the install, but it took a couple of hours to do all the updates over the Internet. The time would very depending on you Internet connect speed.

moster
June 25th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Burn to DVD instead CD, installation will go faster. Secondly, try install it from USB stick, it will go even faster. (depend on stick)

Install from fast USB Corsair Voyager GT to 7200 seagate it took under 5 minutes on my 3,4 Ghz dualcore intel.

From DVD around 12 minutes.

raymondh
June 25th, 2009, 06:47 PM
ave. 30 minutes for me ...

philcamlin
June 25th, 2009, 06:49 PM
7 min for me off usb :popcorn:

Mark Phelps
June 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Pentium III??? Please post your other specs. With that old a machine, you're likely to not have enough memory to run a virtual machine with another OS inside it.