PDA

View Full Version : Web Messenger client

CrazyMonkeyFox
June 25th, 2009, 03:32 PM
As a side project in a business I'm working for, for the summer, I was asked to make a web-based instant messaging program. i.e something embedded in the site that was realtime, and had all basic features of a client. I was wondering what people think would be the best language to do this in. My programming experience is as follows; PHP, HTML, CSS, C, Python(learning). The best language does not have to be from this list, I am willing to learn something new.

Thanks in advance

PaulM1985
June 25th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I would recommend Java.

I have done work with ports and sockets and passing streams as part of my Uni course and it is fairly straight forward to do. Conversations with multiple people would be quite complicated (bits of threading etc). Also, the libraries that you need are all provided by Java. I don't know if you would have to find libraries for the other languages.

Although, if you are not familiar with Java then you will have to spend quite some time getting used to the language and the API.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Also, if you were planning on using this messenger on different operating systems, you would be able to do this with Java.