PDA

View Full Version : what can i do to contribute?

stuart.reinke
June 25th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I want to give something back to the Ubuntu community. The question is what can i do? I'm not a programmer or developer, I don't think I have the time needed to join the bug squad, and I don't know enough to be any help to people in the forums. (I am learning new things every day though)

Any ideas?

philcamlin
June 25th, 2009, 03:28 PM
help people out on the forums and make wallpapers and stuff :P

thats what i do :popcorn:

aeiah
June 25th, 2009, 03:33 PM
if you are relativley fluent in another language, then translation is usually very valuable. other than that, helping people on here or donating to needy projects is probably the way to go

philcamlin
June 25th, 2009, 03:34 PM
translating would be good :D

earthpigg
June 25th, 2009, 03:57 PM
-report bugs
-help people out on the forums --> no matter how novice you are, someone is more novice than you are.

stuart.reinke
June 25th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the sugestions. Translation isn't an option for me. I just completed a fresh install of Hardy. Would it be any help to set up a dual boot with Karmik and look for bugs even though all I can do is report them.

elianthony
June 25th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the sugestions. Translation isn't an option for me. I just completed a fresh install of Hardy. Would it be any help to set up a dual boot with Karmik and look for bugs even though all I can do is report them.
Yes indeed, it would be a help to do that.

-report bugs
-help people out on the forums --> no matter how novice you are, someone is more novice than you are.

Very true. I used to never even think about helping anyone else on the forums, because of my own newness to Ubuntu. However, as this post says, there is someone more of a novice than you are, or maybe you have struggled with and solved a problem that someone else hasn't yet. Your experiences at wading through things as you learn will definitely help others.

Oh, and I do try to help out when I can now. ;)

jonobacon
June 25th, 2009, 05:05 PM
There are many ways in which you could contribute - what are you most interested in doing? Technical development? Writing documentation? Advocacy? Marketing?

ghindo
June 25th, 2009, 05:05 PM
If you are able, you could always donate money or equipment to your favorite open source project.

And evangelizing about open source can help too, as long as you're not too fanatical about it ;)

ddrichardson
June 25th, 2009, 05:12 PM
There are many ways in which you could contribute - what are you most interested in doing? Technical development? Writing documentation? Advocacy? Marketing?
Jono pipped me to it - the Documentation Team is open and new users often make the best reviewers, picking up on things more experienced users miss.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam