PDA

View Full Version : MS gives free Windows 7 upgrades to Vista buyers

Sporkman
June 25th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Microsoft says Vista PC buyers will get free Windows 7 upgrades, kicks off pre-order discounts

* By Jessica Mintz, AP Technology Writer
* On Thursday June 25, 2009, 9:05 am EDT

SEATTLE (AP) -- Microsoft Corp. said Thursday that prices for the Windows 7 computer operating system are largely in line with those for Vista, and that people who buy PCs before the new system goes on sale in October will get free upgrades.

To drum up demand among people who aren't in the market for a new PC, Microsoft also said it is taking limited pre-orders for Windows 7, selling some for as little as $50.

People who buy Windows Vista Home Premium, Business or Ultimate computers starting Friday can contact their manufacturer for a free upgrade when Windows 7 becomes available on Oct. 22...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Microsoft-says-Vista-buyers-apf-2826300712.html?x=0&.v=5

Sporkman
June 25th, 2009, 02:49 PM
...except in Europe!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8118749.stm

jonian_g
June 25th, 2009, 02:58 PM
...except in Europe!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8118749.stm

Vista has IE preinstalled. Windows 7 will not have IE preinstalled in Europe. So, I think they don't want these Vista PCs to become W7 and for free.

philcamlin
June 25th, 2009, 03:00 PM
WTF!

so my dads laptop wont get free winblows 7 :D

im going to make him get ubuntu :popcorn:

woo hoo for ubuntu

ukripper
June 25th, 2009, 04:50 PM
appalling prices for crap

monsterstack
June 25th, 2009, 04:52 PM
There's an interview with one of the (very grumpy) EU doods who don't like Microsoft very much right here (http://www.itwriting.com/blog/1553-eu-responds-to-questions-on-microsofts-plans-for-windows-7.html) [itwriting.com].

If you require a software manufacturer to bundle another company’s software product with their own, it raises questions about security, about support, about updates, which are difficult ones, I understand why Microsoft might not be willing to do so.

We both know also that Microsoft claimed for many years it was technically impossible to separate Internet Explorer from the operating system.

lol

Giant Speck
June 25th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Hmm... That's actually pretty awesome. I've been thinking of buying a new computer and I was wondering how I was going to end up getting Windows 7.

ukripper
June 25th, 2009, 05:02 PM
There's an interview with one of the (very grumpy) EU doods who don't like Microsoft very much right here (http://www.itwriting.com/blog/1553-eu-responds-to-questions-on-microsofts-plans-for-windows-7.html) [itwriting.com].

lol

i like this one:

There are advantages to having a browser integrated with the operating system. For example, it means that a single vendor is managing security, that updates are coming down in a streamlined fashion, and that within enterprises the functions of the browser can be managed with the same tools that are used to manage the rest of the operating system.

If you bundle in your browser and you make it difficult for other browsers to get a market share, then you’re denying consumers choice and you’re taking away the incentive for innovation. Internet Explorer wasn’t updated for, how many years?

Methuselah
June 25th, 2009, 05:20 PM
If you bundle in your browser and you make it difficult for other browsers to get a market share, then you’re denying consumers choice and you’re taking away the incentive for innovation. Internet Explorer wasn’t updated for, how many years?

Some people find this concept so difficult to grasp!
Without competition you, the consumer, are screwed.
So even if you love microsoft products, you should be happy competition exists.
For example, you can also thank Linux for your cheap windows Xp netbooks.

Competition = good.
Monopoly = bad.

WildeBeest
June 25th, 2009, 05:21 PM
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=009134804

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9134802

Vostrocity
June 25th, 2009, 05:24 PM
That's a pretty misleading title. $50 is only a limited time bonus offer for a Windows 7 Premium upgrade preorders.

cmat
June 25th, 2009, 05:25 PM
That's actually a good deal for the people that actually bought the thing separately. Vista's prices were robbery on MS' part.

Methuselah
June 25th, 2009, 05:27 PM
$50 is a more reasonable price-point for an operating system.
This is inevitable; Microsoft cannot continue to justify $299 launches with increasingly capable and affordable alternatives in existence.
It's a smart move and makes windows more competitive.
Though if alteratives are forcing windows prices down, they're winning some sort of victory.

EDIT: Yeeah, its limited but if W7 hoem premium is $100 it's still quite a bit cheaper than Vista Premium was at launch IIRC.

t0pcat
June 25th, 2009, 05:31 PM

Competition = good.
Monopoly = bad.

Microsoft=Monopoly. Except they use real money to stifle the competition.

Methuselah
June 25th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Microsoft=Monopoly. Except they use real money to stifle the competition.

lol, double-meanings to the rescue again.

Giant Speck
June 25th, 2009, 05:41 PM
So, Microsoft is allowing consumers to pre-order a Windows 7 Home Premium CD for $49.99 while also giving consumers the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 7 for free after buying a computer with Vista pre-installed?

Microsoft finally hired someone smart in their sales department?

Wiebelhaus
June 25th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't use it if they gave it to me and I'd only use it in Vbox if they paid me.

t0pcat
June 25th, 2009, 05:42 PM
lol, double-meanings to the rescue again.
I keep waiting for Google to sell to Microsoft. I guess they will call it Google-Bing. Before we know it the only restaurant in town will be MS Food. lol

t0pcat
June 25th, 2009, 05:49 PM
So, Microsoft is allowing consumers to pre-order a Windows 7 Home Premium CD for $49.99 while also giving consumers the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 7 for free after buying a computer with Vista pre-installed?

Microsoft finally hired someone smart in their sales department?
I guess someone finally attended and passed Sales 101. Now all they need is someone smart in development to help with their crappy product.

Methuselah
June 25th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I keep waiting for Google to sell to Microsoft. I guess they will call it Google-Bing. Before we know it the only restaurant in town will be MS Food. lol

Or Bingoogle (ie been google) heee hee

monsterstack
June 25th, 2009, 06:17 PM

As any fule kno', Bing is a recursive acronym. But if companies acquire companies, then it'll stand for Bing is now Google.

Giant Speck
June 25th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Am I the only one who kind of likes Bing?

Maheriano
June 25th, 2009, 07:36 PM
So does this apply for Vista boxes you bought last year or what?

Sporkman
June 25th, 2009, 07:57 PM

Nice!

...or maybe "Being Google". ;)

Giant Speck
June 25th, 2009, 08:05 PM
So does this apply for Vista boxes you bought last year or what?

No, it only applies to Vista computers that you buy after this Friday.

CJ56
June 25th, 2009, 08:51 PM
So in the UK (according to the BBC website) I will be able to upgrade to Win7 for £80 - £200, depending on version

If I buy the OS from new, it'll be £150 - £230

Presumably with the usual restrictions as to the number of times it can be used/number of computers it can be installed on

While right now I can get beautiful efficient rocksteady Ubuntu 9.04 with access to the whole wide world of Linux software for the price of a blank CD

I don't understand this...

mamamia88
June 25th, 2009, 11:38 PM
i heard that if you preorder it you can get the proffesional version for $99. if i wait i can probably get it on campus for $50 not sure what i want to do.

CJ Master
June 25th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Only reason I'd preorder it is if I needed DX10 (or was it DX11?) or I lost my XP disk somewhere.

Neither are the case.

.Maleficus.
June 25th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Only reason I'd preorder it is if I needed DX10 (or was it DX11?) or I lost my XP disk somewhere.

Neither are the case.
No DX11 from what tech sites are saying.

And no, I won't preorder it either. I work at Best Buy and when Windows Vista/Office 2007 came out, Microsoft had a huge deal with us where we could get Office 2007 Ultimate for $50 (or was it $25?) so we could sell their products with a better understanding of them. I'm hoping for something like that again.

FuturePilot
June 25th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Don't need it

magh-87
June 25th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I'm probably going to hold off until all of the known (and unknown) bugs are worked out. Despite W7 being an improved Vista (why that was released I'll never know), I plan on waiting until SP2 is released. Until then, I'm content with XP on this computer and Ubuntu on my other two.

LookTJ
June 26th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I'm content with Linux on my computer. Until then, I will wait 4-5 years more.

monsterstack
June 26th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Vista must be really bad if people are actually going to buy the new one. An operating system on a DVD, in a box. Who buys that? Who?

Zzl1xndd
June 26th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Probably not.

dragos240
June 26th, 2009, 12:07 AM
If I ever get back into creating media, I'll use it to run sony vegas. Or wait for kdenlive to improve. It has quite a few kinks to work out.

Skripka
June 26th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Vista must be really bad if people are actually going to buy the new one. An operating system on a DVD, in a box. Who buys that? Who?

Ummmm...people who build their boxes? Is this that hard to fathom?

Considering the pre-order price-break will probably beat the OEM install disk price--I'll probably pre-order.

toopi
June 26th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I'll probably wait till its natural price drop later next year(aka post sp1).

starcraft.man
June 26th, 2009, 12:26 AM
As a SOEN student, I'll probably need it, plus I game. So I'll end up getting at least a copy maybe 2 through my Uni.

wojox
June 26th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I don't know where you heard that but I found this article on google news.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/06/25/windows_7_priced_below_vista_to_allow_upgrades_fro m_xp.html

SunnyRabbiera
June 26th, 2009, 01:04 AM
No, linux suits me fine.

xuCGC002
June 26th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Oh god no.

.Maleficus.
June 26th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Um, anyone who wants a legit copy perhaps? How is that hard to understand? I don't get it.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 26th, 2009, 01:48 AM
i heard that if you preorder it you can get the proffesional version for $99. if i wait i can probably get it on campus for $50 not sure what i want to do.

Out of curiosity I tried the Windows 7 Beta and the Windows 7 RC. Both of those were Windows 7 Ultimate versions. Microsoft is not offering a discount on pre-ordering the Windows 7 Ultimate version. The discount only applies to Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional. I think they messed up again! They showed people their most expensive version; however, will deliver something less with this discount.

<sarcasm> Take out pistol, take aim, shoot your own foot.</sarcasm>

pwnst*r
June 26th, 2009, 01:49 AM

you "heard"? got a link? kthx.

forrestcupp
June 26th, 2009, 03:36 AM
I was tempted. You can get the home premium upgrade for $49. They're only selling a limited number of copies. After that, the home premium upgrade will be $119. $70 is a lot of money to save.

jedimasterk
June 26th, 2009, 03:36 AM
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/pricing.asp

Looks like Linux and MacOSX will be getting more marketshare. Sure MS is giving big discounts for about two weeks. But why would you pre-order something that isn't even final yet. Plus they got free beta/rtm testers. Like it was privilage to test their product. Feel sorry for Windows users.

.Maleficus.
June 26th, 2009, 04:07 AM

Looks like Linux and MacOSX will be getting more marketshare. Sure MS is giving big discounts for about two weeks. But why would you pre-order something that isn't even final yet. Plus they got free beta/rtm testers. Like it was privilage to test their product. Feel sorry for Windows users.
Why would Linux and OS X be getting more marketshare? OS X only works on the still more expensive Mac and Linux is, well, Linux. And how isn't Windows 7 final? The release date is stated in that article, October 22, 2009. And what does beta testing have to do with anything? The beta testing for Windows 7 was setup the exact same way that someone beta tests a new Ubuntu release.

/confused :confused:

Skripka
June 26th, 2009, 04:10 AM

Sry. I actually like Win7, and the only thing keeping it from being a full win for me is the lack of multiple virtual desktops and other more advanced window management tools.

MikeTheC
June 26th, 2009, 04:13 AM
I'm very definitely planning on not pre-ordering Windows 7. I've an OEM of Vista Home Prem. 32 bit, I bought Office 2007 for compatibility with college, and that is enough.

Microsoft can burn, so far as I'm concerned.

mamamia88
June 26th, 2009, 04:15 AM
yeah i heard it on abc tonight sorry i didn't have a link

murderslastcrow
June 26th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Windows 7 Ultimate!!....ly not worth it.

The whole, "we'll take away features that were available for free in XP" business. One version for everyone seems like a much better idea, but yes- Vista was expensive enough. Upgrades should certainly cost much less than that.

Windows won't lose market marketshare, as far as the numbers are involved, until every PC vendor offers a Linux alternative. But yeah, I'm sure people will be more willing to look for cheaper alternatives when Windows 7 starts coming on every new computer. I mean, With Vista it's already 600 dollars for a 1 GB RAM PC. I think 700-800 dollars when you could get a Linux lappy with 2 GB for 400 is going to factor in quite a bit, considering the state of the economy. I think only Microsoft fanboys will feel the 'need' to upgrade. Everyone else will just say, "screw off Microsoft, we're satisfied with an 8 year old OS for some reason."

Everyone I know who doesn't have a clue what Linux is, but recently bought Vista, is very upset that they've got, "a new one so soon!? I don't have that much money, seriously."

So it's pretty evident that it'll be the same issue with Vista, despite lowered hardware requirements. I think Windows 7 will eventually get more sales than Vista, however, due to some of those improvements. "Vista done right," basically.

CJ Master
June 26th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I'm very definitely planning on not pre-ordering Windows 7. I've an OEM of Vista Home Prem. 32 bit, I bought Office 2007 for compatibility with college, and that is enough.

Microsoft can burn, so far as I'm concerned.

If that's all your using Windows for, why not use Crossover Office?

.Maleficus.
June 26th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Windows 7 Ultimate!!....ly not worth it.

The whole, "we'll take away features that were available for free in XP" business. One version for everyone seems like a much better idea, but yes- Vista was expensive enough. Upgrades should certainly cost much less than that.
Windows Vista/7 didn't take away features in the lower versions, they added features in the higher versions (such as Bit-Locker, automatic backups, business collaboration management, etc). Compare versions (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/default.aspx).

I mean, With Vista it's already 600 dollars for a 1 GB RAM PC. I think 700-800 dollars when you could get a Linux lappy with 2 GB for 400 is going to factor in quite a bit, considering the state of the economy.
What? Where do you buy your computers? Best Buy has this (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9170835&type=product&id=1218043607320) eMachines for $299 that is completely adequate for Vista or 7.

Everyone I know who doesn't have a clue what Linux is, but recently bought Vista, is very upset that they've got, "a new one so soon!? I don't have that much money, seriously."
That might be something they have to live with. It was still a rumor when I heard it, and may still be, but Microsoft is apparently looking to do a more OS X style release cycle where they release a new major version every couple of years, versus the disastrous 8 year gap from XP to Vista.

HammerOfDoubt
June 26th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Plus they got free beta/rtm testers. Like it was privilage to test their product. Feel sorry for Windows users.

Huh?

What are you talking about?

I swear the fanatical Windows-Hate of 80% of Linux users gets more and more absurd every day.

Beta Testing is usually free. They aren't doing anything special here. And how does free = privilege?

monsterstack
June 26th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Um, anyone who wants a legit copy perhaps? How is that hard to understand? I don't get it.

People don't buy operating systems. They buy computers. Vista owes its marketshare (still much lower than that of XP) to this and this alone.

izizzle
June 26th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I really wouldn't be missing out on anything if I didn't buy Windows 7. I can get all the effects and functionality and then some in Linux.

.Maleficus.
June 26th, 2009, 04:48 AM
People don't buy operating systems. They buy computers. Vista owes its marketshare (still much lower than that of XP) to this and this alone.
This thread has nothing to do with either marketshare or general consumers, it was asking who here would buy the preorder. And since people here do go out and get different OS's, it would make perfect sense that someone would go and get a retail version of Windows 7.

drawkcab
June 26th, 2009, 04:50 AM
I'll pick it up at a discount from my university because I need windows for work. I'm glad I skipped vista though.

When is support for XP scheduled to expire?

Skripka
June 26th, 2009, 05:00 AM
People don't buy operating systems.

Except for those of us that build our boxes.

monsterstack
June 26th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Huh?

What are you talking about?

I swear the fanatical Windows-Hate of 80% of Linux users gets more and more absurd every day.

Beta Testing is usually free. They aren't doing anything special here. And how does free = privilege?

Years ago, you had to pay for the privilege of beta-testing Windows releases. It's nice to see they've done away with that.

monsterstack
June 26th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Except for those of us that build our boxes.

And some of the people in this thread. And some gamers. And some die-hards. And a few others too. Basically, about one per cent of Windows-users. Just pointing that out for fun and japes.

MikeTheC
June 26th, 2009, 05:14 AM
If that's all your using Windows for, why not use Crossover Office?

Why bother? I've already got a full-up Win32 (or WTF-ever they're calling it these days) environment that I didn't have to specifically pay extra for.

I mean, I guess I could get it for Mac OS X and do it on my MBP.

Bachstelze
June 26th, 2009, 05:17 AM
I'll probably get a free license or two through MSDNAA shortly after it's released so no. And if I don't get them, I'll happily switch back to Vista.

Skripka
June 26th, 2009, 05:18 AM
And some of the people in this thread. And some gamers. And some die-hards. And a few others too. Basically, about one per cent of Windows-users. Just pointing that out for fun and japes.

Since you don't mind admitting you're making up your stats, retail sales account for around 4-5% or so of Windows licenses, last I knew. Mkthxbai.

CJ Master
June 26th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Why bother? I've already got a full-up Win32 (or WTF-ever they're calling it these days) environment that I didn't have to specifically pay extra for.

I mean, I guess I could get it for Mac OS X and do it on my MBP.

Well, whatever makes you happy. I personally HATE dual-booting. I destroyed (Read: Shotgun'd) my Windows partition. The only thing I miss is being able to play games made from Game Maker. (www.yoyogames.com)

monsterstack
June 26th, 2009, 05:34 AM
4-5%
lol

jedimasterk
June 26th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Usually when you beta test lets say a Linux distribution for free. You are more than likely going to be able to download the final product for free or a small charge (openSuse boxed edition). With Windows, you beta test their product, for free, hoping that they catch all the bugs, Vista wasn't beta tested nearly as well. And hopefully will cut users a price deal when it is released. You know, bad economic times. I remember when Ballmer was talking about the tough economc times at a trade show. Well seems like Windows users will still have to dish out around $200.00 to get Professional. Remember Professional has not even a slight discount. And if you want Windows XP compatibility mode, you need to get Pro or Ultimate. Like Paul said in the article I posted. The promo price should have been the retail price. But no were Microsoft, our products are excluded from any economic situation. And if you live in Europe, you get Windows 7E edition, and no upgrade versions. So you have to buy full version, because Microsoft feels it has more power than the entire EU.

satipera
June 26th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I have seen prices all the way up to $320 for windows 7 ultimate non oed. Seriously I would not have it given to me unless I desperately needed a programme that only ran on it. How they get away with it I do not know. I have bought too many windows licenses I do not use.

t0pcat
June 26th, 2009, 11:37 AM
As any fule kno', Bing is a recursive acronym. But if companies acquire companies, then it'll stand for Bing is now Google.
halarious

forrestcupp
June 26th, 2009, 03:43 PM
When is support for XP scheduled to expire?Mainstream support ended in April, and free security fixes end in 2014. No more non-security fixes, though.

Usually when you beta test lets say a Linux distribution for free. You are more than likely going to be able to download the final product for free or a small charge (openSuse boxed edition). With Windows, you beta test their product, for free, hoping that they catch all the bugs, Vista wasn't beta tested nearly as well. And hopefully will cut users a price deal when it is released.
Most of the real testing for Windows is done either by employees or MSDN partners. The real testers will all get Windows for free when it is released. And I know people who have been awarded MSDN accounts because of the amount of help they volunteer on forums, just like people volunteer here.

All of the other Windows "beta testers" are just people who want to try out the new OS for free and they mostly don't do any real work to help out the cause. In the past, Microsoft hasn't opened testing up to the masses without limits like they did this time. So it is kind of a privilege to get to try it out for free without having to do any real work.

Also, about the whole privilege thing. Every Linux distro uses free testers, and those testers all consider it a privilege to have the bragging rights to let everyone know they're ahead of the game. It's the same everywhere, so there's no need to point fingers there.

pbpersson
June 26th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Here is a link (http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/ptech/06/25/cnet.windows7.pricing.upgrade/index.html) to the story about pre-ordering Windows 7 to save money

MikeTheC
June 26th, 2009, 05:49 PM
How paranoid is Microsoft? They must really want to keep up everyone's Windows addiction.

Therion
June 26th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I'll probably obtain a copy just so I can play with it. Initial reports on non-partisan sites seem to indicate that '7 is a decent release. For what it is.

Don't know if I wanna go the legal route or not yet...

DirtDawg
June 26th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Am I the only one who kind of likes Bing?
Yup.

unni84kollam
June 26th, 2009, 06:19 PM
:(:(:( :( hi i am posting this here since i dont know hoe to put up a new topic for discussion..pls help me..i want to install gfx grub in ubuntu 9.04..most of the topics in net are bout installing gfx grub in ubuntu 8.o..i tried to follow that and messed up my ubuntu installation..got it re installed..so can anyone tell how i can get gfx grub for ubuntu 9.04..atleast can anyone start a new topic on this..im new to this forum...i really dont know how to post this as a new topic for discussion...:(:(:(:(

DirtDawg
June 26th, 2009, 07:08 PM
:(:(:( :( hi i am posting this here since i dont know hoe to put up a new topic for discussion..pls help me..i want to install gfx grub in ubuntu 9.04..most of the topics in net are bout installing gfx grub in ubuntu 8.o..i tried to follow that and messed up my ubuntu installation..got it re installed..so can anyone tell how i can get gfx grub for ubuntu 9.04..atleast can anyone start a new topic on this..im new to this forum...i really dont know how to post this as a new topic for discussion...:(:(:(:(

Go to this page: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326
Click the brown button near the upper-left labeled, "New Thread" to start a new thread and restate your question there. Try to be as precise and clear as possible if you want someone to help.

monsterstack
June 26th, 2009, 07:52 PM
How paranoid is Microsoft? They must really want to keep up everyone's Windows addiction.

As Windows 7 is being released on the 22nd of October, presumably this bargain basement deal is to ensure that sales of Windows licences don't completely dry up between now and then. Makes sense to me.

bakedbeans4life
June 26th, 2009, 09:20 PM
As Windows 7 is being released on the 22nd of October, presumably this bargain basement deal is to ensure that sales of Windows licences don't completely dry up between now and then. Makes sense to me.

Just in time for the Christmas rush. Will this count as two separate Windows sales/installs, or just the one?

Giant Speck
June 26th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Just in time for the Christmas rush. Will this count as two separate Windows sales/installs, or just the one?

That's supposed to be rhetorical, right? Because the answer is obvious.

bakedbeans4life
June 26th, 2009, 09:48 PM
That's supposed to be rhetorical, right? Because the answer is obvious.

Well GS, both you and I know what is obvious. I was awaiting for some Microtard to chime in with how I have got Microsoft all wrong, how cynical I am, how Microsoft does not need to resort to these tactics etc.

But then again Microtards come in all shapes and sizes, do they not!

monsterstack
June 26th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Well GS, both you and I know what is obvious. I was awaiting for some Microtard to chime in with how I have got Microsoft all wrong, how cynical I am, how Microsoft does not need to resort to these tactics etc.

You don't like Microsoft very much, I notice. :roll:

Giant Speck
June 26th, 2009, 09:53 PM

They're really not all that different from Linux Youth or Applefags [not my word], though.

bakedbeans4life
June 26th, 2009, 10:20 PM
You don't like Microsoft very much, I notice. :roll:

They have never given me much reason to, I doubt I am alone. I just see no point in denying the fact just because Microsoft is always "flavour of the month" here.

That Windows 7 is better than Vista (this is from personal experience), is a slam dunk, could it be any worse?. The Microsoft sycophants act as though Windows 7 is God's gift to the unworthy masses. I say Windows 7 is what Vista should have been from the start, no excuses. They had enough time, money and developers to give their paying customers better value for money.

I remember MSX and others, I remember how Microsoft came to be what they are today. You can roll your eyes as much as you wish but I will never forget how Microsoft's came to be king of the castle.

forrestcupp
June 27th, 2009, 02:38 PM
They're really not all that different from Linux Youth or Applefags [not my word], though.I was going to say Linuxtards. :)

I say Windows 7 is what Vista should have been from the start, no excuses. They had enough time, money and developers to give their paying customers better value for money.

I remember MSX and others, I remember how Microsoft came to be what they are today. You can roll your eyes as much as you wish but I will never forget how Microsoft's came to be king of the castle.No, Vista SP1 is what Vista should have been, and SP2 should have been SP1. Vista had problems when it was released, but the only reason Vista is crap right now is because everybody has it in their heads that it is crap.

And MS became the king of the castle pretty much like any other king of the castle does. That's why Linux will never be king of the castle. But who really cares? Does it need to be?

jprophet420
June 27th, 2009, 02:46 PM

Competition = good.
Monopoly = bad.
this is so true, except for the facts that
1. most browsers are free
2. you can still use a browser other than I.E., they don't lock out other browsers, they just don't supply them for free.

I never really understood all the fuss, I remember when it was just Netscape and I.E., Netscape was hot garbage.

Now as far as the cheap xp netbooks, Microsoft did violate mad antitrust laws as they paid vendors to use xp instead of linux.

krow436
June 27th, 2009, 05:25 PM

Competition = good.
Monopoly = bad.
ftw

so, basically, M$ is only handing out Vista SP2... I mean Windows 7 to certain people? Seems to me they should just trade out the licenses for that POS

krow436
June 27th, 2009, 05:27 PM
And MS became the king of the castle pretty much like any other king of the castle does. That's why Linux will never be king of the castle. But who really cares? Does it need to be?
I think if Linux became king of the castle it would lose the underdog appeal that keeps it so popular in certain circles.

Maheriano
June 29th, 2009, 06:48 PM
No, it only applies to Vista computers that you buy after this Friday.

WTF is the difference? This company annoys me more every day.

bakedbeans4life
June 29th, 2009, 07:10 PM

Did you miss the unofficial-official Ubuntu Forums mandate that states "Microsoft, Windows and Office are the holy trinity. To mock them is to commit heresy. To question the Lord Bill Gates, our God, and his prophet for profit, Steve Ballmer, is the height of blasphemy etc"?

Did that memo pass you by?

Skripka
June 29th, 2009, 07:12 PM

You realize that companies exist to make money don't you? You realize that a company cannot make money if it is giving it's products away willy-nilly, don't you? Does this really need explained?

RiceMonster
June 29th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Did you miss the unofficial-official Ubuntu Forums mandate that states "Microsoft, Windows and Office are the holy trinity. To mock them is to commit heresy. To question the Lord Bill Gates, our God, and his prophet for profit, Steve Ballmer, is the height of blasphemy etc"?

Did that memo pass you by?

Did someone pee in your cereal this morning?

Dharmachakra
June 29th, 2009, 07:18 PM

Honestly?

Anyways, I plan on getting that $50 copy. I don't want to pay Vista-like prices again.

They're really not all that different from Linux Youth or Applefags [not my word], though.

If anything, the 'Microtards' are the most mild. Applefags can be pretty rough. Linux Youth? Worst of the worst.

monsterstack
June 29th, 2009, 07:18 PM
You realize that companies exist to make money don't you? You realize that a company cannot make money if it is giving it's products away willy-nilly, don't you? Does this really need explained?

So that's why Google are so broke right now. :(

Skripka
June 29th, 2009, 08:01 PM
So that's why Google are so broke right now. :(

You can get ads on Google for free? Really?

monsterstack
June 29th, 2009, 08:20 PM
You can get ads on Google for free? Really?

No, but then those aren't products. They're services. Important difference. You can still get AdWords Editor, Chrome, Desktop, Earth, Gmail, Pack, Photos Screensaver, Picasa, Picasa Web Albums Uploader, Secure Access, SketchUp, Talk, Visigami, Web Accelerator, Blogger Web Comments, Dashboard Widgets for Mac, Gears, Pinyin IME, Send to Mobile, Toolbar,Blogger Mobile, Calendar, Gmail, News, Google Mobilizer, iGoogle, Product Search, Reader, Mobile search, Picasa Web Albums, Google Latitude, Maps, Mobile Updater, Sync, Sky Map, Apps, Blogger, Calendar, Docs, FeedBurner, Friend Connect, Gadgets, Profiles, Notebook, Knol, Code, Mashup Editor, OpenSocial, Subscribed Links, Webmaster Tools, Web Toolkit, Map Maker, Mars, Moon, Ride Finder, Transit, Accessible Search, Alerts, Base, Blog search, Checkout, Code Search, Directory, Experimental Search, Finance, Groups, Image Labeler, Image Search, Language Tools, Life Search, Movies, Music, News, News Archive Search, Patent Search, Product Search, Rebang, Scholar, Sets, SMS, Squared, Suggest, University Search, U.S. Government Search, Video, Voice Local Search, Web History, Web Search, Analytics, Gapminder, Trends, Zeitgeist, Google Search Appliance, Google Mini, Google MK-14, GOOG-411, Health, and a few others, for free. Most of those are services too.

Well, gosh. It seems you can make money by giving away 99% of your wares for free.

Giant Speck
June 29th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Did someone pee in your cereal this morning?

No, he thinks that using sarcasm to the extreme makes it funnier.