PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HW check

santi_
June 25th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I have a working system with lots of space. On my big disk I made 3 partitions, only used one of them to install Slack 12. I reserved the other two because I wanted to install two more distros and couldn't quite make up my mind(actually I have another disk where I have two more distros, so I could boot any of 3 linux systems , Slack, an old Suse and an older Slack) Anyway, I was perhaps unwisely playing an avi file from a flash and after some occasional blurring, the image just froze, the system went unresponsive and I had to do a power shutdown. Interestingly the flash is fine, including the avi file. However, all my systems are corrupted(all of them on Reiser)
I can get a prompt from the Slack install CD(though not from Slax or Knoppix),
mount the partitions and copy files. Anyway, the idea now is to finally install something on these empty partitions(either Ubuntu or Debian will be installed in one of them). Then I will mount the broken partitions and copy the files from there.
But before I do that I want to make sure the HW is ok, else I should change the hard disk.
So I burned 9.04 and tried to check hw. It says started checking and warns itcould take a long time, but at some point the progress bar stops and some lights at the top right of the keybord are flashing. So the question is if the hardware checking has come to a halt
(and what I should do then)

Thanks

moster
June 25th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Huh, it seems like hardware failure. Maybe you should check first CPU-RAM-chipset by running memtest from ubuntu disk. If that pass ok, then go for data salvation from disk.

Divider
June 25th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Thats what he just did and got these errors.

Try reburning the iso.

santi_
June 25th, 2009, 12:55 PM
No, I did not run memtest first. I will do that before the hardware check. I agree it looks like a HW problem....

What do you mean reburn the iso? Meaning the Ubuntu CD? It looks fine.