PDA

View Full Version : what is you worst decision ever made so far ?

mkrahmeh
June 25th, 2009, 10:14 AM
its not meant for rumination over the past, but its just that am goin through a rough time due to an apparently stupid, appeal to emotions kind of decision. I really consider this place as a relief, thats why am opening this.

question: is it ever too late ? do opportunities really roll over through our lives ?? dont want to sound like someone who lost faith or something, i know the answer !! but please share your experience on how things got back on track again after a major unintended change in your life.
ps. am not talking about accidents, but am referring to bad decisions

thx folks

Divider
June 25th, 2009, 10:19 AM
In all honesty, one of the worst decisions i've ever made was attempting to use Windows, I woke up about 5 years ago to linux and thought to myself... "Every day until now has been a waste, those monopolizing jerks and there freakin "CTRL ALT DEL" I think that is the only interupt key our children know off anymore. I for one regret every wasting my time with windows.

I also regret not being on these forums enough.

-Divider

jamieh
June 25th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Back when I was an ubuntu noob, I followed a bogus tutorial of some sort and typed a now-obvious harmful command into Terminal. The system never booted again and I needed to reformat.

Divider
June 25th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Back when I was an ubuntu noob, I followed a bogus tutorial of some sort and typed a now-obvious harmful command into Terminal. The system never booted again and I needed to reformat.

OMG! I would kill!

ad_267
June 25th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Hmm I don't think those are the kind of decisions mkrahmeh was talking about. I can't think of any major decision I would say was a terrible decision though. Usually most decisions are based on impulse or instinct, and often even big decisions aren't made using any hard facts. I usually find that once I've made a decision there isn't much point wondering what if, but it's better to say, "I'm here now, where do I want to go from here." You can't change the past but you can always work towards what you want in the future.

Hated On Mostly
June 25th, 2009, 10:38 AM
its not meant for rumination over the past, but its just that am goin through a rough time due to an apparently stupid, appeal to emotions kind of decision. I really consider this place as a relief, thats why am opening this.

question: is it ever too late ? do opportunities really roll over through our lives ?? dont want to sound like someone who lost faith or something, i know the answer !! but please share your experience on how things got back on track again after a major unintended change in your life.
ps. am not talking about accidents, but am referring to bad decisions

thx folks

Sounds like someone got married and had a child...

starcannon
June 25th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Helping a friend get back on their feet again; I forgot they are a leech.

mkrahmeh
June 25th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Hmm I don't think those are the kind of decisions mkrahmeh was talking about. I can't think of any major decision I would say was a terrible decision though. Usually most decisions are based on impulse or instinct, and often even big decisions aren't made using any hard facts. I usually find that once I've made a decision there isn't much point wondering what if, but it's better to say, "I'm here now, where do I want to go from here." You can't change the past but you can always work towards what you want in the future.

why did they remove the thanks button ????
thats the kind of stuff am talking about..

when someone asks for my advice, i would tell him to completely forget about the past and move on, focus on whats next, but being in this position is way more difficult than i ever imagined.

and oh, for those who wonder, i ddnt get married nor have a child :)
but its about switching jobs

Tipped OuT
June 25th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I found 512 MB stick of RAM in my closet, I thought I just found a gold mine, and so I installed the stick of RAM in my laptop, which now made up 1 Gigabyte. Little did I know, the RAM was bad and I got a BSOD when I was trying to boot into Windows XP, which then corrupted the installation. Then I tried to boot into my Windows XP installation disk, and it seemed like my DVD Drive was failing on me, and it wouldn't boot any thing at all. This spun me into a panic, until finally, I found out the BIOS had CD booting disabled by default for some reason.

I booted into the Windows XP installation disk, and had to re-format and install all over again because, the recovery function wasn't working for some reason.

That was a big lost.

timjohn7
June 25th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Decisions are generally made on analysis of available information and assessment of alternatives.
Something must have made you consider switching jobs... either dissatisfaction with your current job or an attractive incentive to switch.
If you have decided (or even almost decided) to switch, you can either leap ahead into a new future or change your decision and remain where you are.
You should have a pretty good idea of conditions, prospects and future in your current position vs the "unknowns" of the alternative position which could be very exciting or very challenging.

My only advice is to find out as much as you can about the alternative to eliminate as many of the unknowns as you can and then make the decision to stay or go.

Once you have made the decision, grab your choice with both hands and make the most of it... remember that your circumstances are a combination of environment AND your adaptation to that environment. The responsibility for happiness is yours.

It's a bit like reaching the point where you stop dual-booting and decide to remove Windows... once you've done it, there's no going back!

mkrahmeh
June 25th, 2009, 12:00 PM
unfortunately the decision is already made, i've been here for some time. what shocks me the most is that did gather information about the alternative as well as i could, and the prospects were not quit encouraging, yet i made the switch !! maybe its the misleading emotions that i felt at that time about my previous job..

thanks a load timjohn7, that was really helpful..maybe the adaptation part is something that needs serious work for me

forrestcupp
June 25th, 2009, 01:53 PM
If the worst decision you've ever made involves a computer operating system or hardware, then you've had a pretty darn good life.

One thing I've learned is that some decisions have much longer lasting consequences than others. But in the long run, you can always recover from even the worst mistakes. Even if it takes a while, mistakes are temporary.

billgoldberg
June 25th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Picking up that first cigarette.

lisati
June 25th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Helping a friend get back on their feet again; I forgot they are a leech.
I once disregarded advice from mutual acquaintances and started flatting with someone who was a bit of a ratbag. In time some not-so-nice stuff went down, and we parted company on unfriendly terms. An unexpected pleasent consequence arose out of this: one of the new people I met afterwards was Mrs Lisati.

Karma caught up with the (adjectives deleted) fellow and saw him end up in jail for something else. (links to relevant information withheld)

Picking up that first cigarette.
+10^10:D

keplerspeed
June 25th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I am still young, and have only had a few big decisions to make so far. My latest 'big one' was to do nothing, or to make the big move. I made the big move though. The 'do nothing' option was a good option for me, as I was lucky and had some success, and I was on track. But I was seeing a brick wall, a barrier to anything more than what I had.

The 'big move' has moved me across the country, a long way from home, but into the unknown, the new, and as I see it now, MORE.

I saw an opportunity, with some short term losses though. But what is life doing what you should, not making changes? Take any opportunity whatever it is and dont regret anything. As long as you are around those you love, and you are happy, what more do you want?

BigSilly
June 25th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Did a similar thing myself. Had a job I quite liked that I'd been in for a big part of my life, but kinda realised it wasn't going anywhere and I wasn't challenging myself. About 18 months ago another job popped up that the missus was really keen I go for. I did and I got it.

To cut a long story short it's been 18 months of pain, misery, and wondering what the hell I must have been thinking. Why quit a job you like, at the end of the day? Idiot. I'm even hammering the keys as I typed that word. IDIOT! :x

So here I am in a really crap job that I hate, but I'm supposed to feel grateful I even have a job "in this current financial climate". To be frank I've really felt like just jumping on a plane, finding a huge forest (probably in Canada) and just getting lost there till the animals eat me!

But I have a little hope that things will improve. The way I see it, I'm trapped here now because there are quite literally no jobs out there, and I'm not making another rash move and making things worse. Basically, at the moment, all I have is a little hope. You never know. :)

philcamlin
June 25th, 2009, 02:29 PM
using windows vista :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

longtom
June 25th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I "hear" how you feel. And hindsight is a terrible thing. That's why we shouldn't use it to often.

I like the attitude of some posters:

Well - it happened, here you are and it is now up to you and nobody else to make the best out of it.
If you have somebody trustworthy arround you, who can help, use that help.
If you have an spirtual entity to help you - even better. Don't forget about it - use it.

I must admit, those answers refering to a computer crash as the worst experience are a little strange to me - and after the OP explained a bit further - totally out of this world.

keplerspeed
June 25th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Well, bigsilly, I think you have a colourfully cheerful sig! The only idiot is the one that does give up, allowing the animals to eat them.

jonian_g
June 25th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Forget your old job and focus on the new one. Who knows, I might turn out a good decision in the end. Give some time to youself and your new job to judge if it was a good decision.
If it turns out to be a bad decision, look for a new job.

I have done something similar when I had to choose what to study. I always liked computers and programming and always wanted to study something involving them. When the time came to make a decision, I chose project management(!). I wasn't happy in the beggining but in the end it turned out to be a good decision.

GeneralZod
June 25th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I have very few regrets so far, and the only one I can think of was doing my PhD in Computer Science rather than Mathematics (a decision influenced by the Dot Com boom that was in full swing at the time the decision was made and the perceived lure of £££'s). The end result was 4 years in a subject I had literally zero interest in with the massive amount of procrastination attendant, followed by a further 4 years(!) of procrastinating rather than finishing off the corrections I needed to do after my viva.

The prospect of finishing off that last 2% of the corrections was so thoroughly unpleasant that I could easily imagine just not ever completing them and, so, failing my PhD and wasting 8 years of my life, which just added to the stress. In the end, the possibility of really, genuinely failing was brought up by the University (which had been quiet for some time) and "motivated" me to finish it all off in what was perhaps the most gruelling and stressful couple of weeks of my life (the fact that we had a tight deadline at work didn't exactly help matters). If I'd chosen Maths instead, I don't think any of this would have happened.

I'm quitting my job tomorrow: it's in a nice office 10 minutes walk from where I work, with great, talented people and excellent and sensible management but involves working in a field I've hated since I started working in it 5 years ago. We'll see in time whether this is Zod's Big Mistake #2 :)

Chilli Bob
June 25th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Worst decision? Changing my major in the last year of my degree to something that looked fun, but there was no future in. Now, 17 years later, finally have quit my dead-end job and am actively pursuing a job as a paramedic. (bloody hard to get into here).

My advice is: don't hesitate to throw away your life and start again. So what if it doesn't work out? In 100 years we'll all be dead anyway. :wink:

keplerspeed
June 25th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Ha I like it chilli bomb! I dont mind throwing away bits and starting again... but the whole lot - but you never really start again, is more like a redirection.

swoll1980
June 25th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Leaving home when I was 18, and having a kid before I went to college. It''s much harder going to to school now. It's harder to make ends meet as well.

dragos240
June 25th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Hmm...... I can't think of my biggest plunder at the moment...... but I think that this thread will be closed in the next 24 hours....

Eisenwinter
June 25th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I don't know if this counts as a "decision" by the definition of this thread, but I'm continously making the mistake of not getting a driver's license done. Sure, I don't need it 24/7, far from it, but there are times in which I think "Damn, wish I had a license now".

Like yesterday. I had to walk back 2 kilometers at around 1:30am, half drunk, back from a bar. It wasn't terrible, but it did annoy me a bit, thinking that all I have to do was stop making excuses and get that damn license already.

I guess you could say that I'm deciding continously to keep postponing it, which is a bad decision.

jonian_g
June 25th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I don't know if this counts as a "decision" by the definition of this thread, but I'm continously making the mistake of not getting a driver's license done. Sure, I don't need it 24/7, far from it, but there are times in which I think "Damn, wish I had a license now".

Like yesterday. I had to walk back 2 kilometers at around 1:30am, half drunk, back from a bar. It wasn't terrible, but it did annoy me a bit, thinking that all I have to do was stop making excuses and get that damn license already.

I guess you could say that I'm deciding continously to keep postponing it, which is a bad decision.

Better you didn't had a driver's license. You could have gotten yourself in more trouble than just walking 2km.

mkrahmeh
June 25th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Did a similar thing myself. Had a job I quite liked that I'd been in for a big part of my life, but kinda realised it wasn't going anywhere and I wasn't challenging myself. About 18 months ago another job popped up that the missus was really keen I go for. I did and I got it.

To cut a long story short it's been 18 months of pain, misery, and wondering what the hell I must have been thinking. Why quit a job you like, at the end of the day? Idiot. I'm even hammering the keys as I typed that word. IDIOT! :x

So here I am in a really crap job that I hate, but I'm supposed to feel grateful I even have a job "in this current financial climate". To be frank I've really felt like just jumping on a plane, finding a huge forest (probably in Canada) and just getting lost there till the animals eat me!

But I have a little hope that things will improve. The way I see it, I'm trapped here now because there are quite literally no jobs out there, and I'm not making another rash move and making things worse. Basically, at the moment, all I have is a little hope. You never know. :)
i'll give the exact advice that i need: Patience, and things will always get better, just ponder into the great effects of optimism and faith..and pray remember: coz everyday you wake up you know that you got something to do, eat, wear..etc, there will ALWAYS be something to be grateful for
am trying to convince myself with this all the time, but i have to admit that at some moments i get into a melancholic mood that gets me to feel as if am doomed forever.
thats the idiocy we need to avoid: to ruminate over the past. just look forward --->

My advice is: don't hesitate to throw away your life and start again. So what if it doesn't work out? In 100 years we'll all be dead anyway. :wink:

dear god you're so right, i wish i have the spirit :D

ad_267
June 25th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Hmm...... I can't think of my biggest plunder at the moment...... but I think that this thread will be closed in the next 24 hours....

? I see no reason for this thread to be closed.

MikeTheC
June 26th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I've made so many bad decisions in my life, from employers to romance to education and beyond, that I couldn't even begin to list them all.

Then again, as a kid growing up I got so screwed up that it doesn't surprise me to have made some of the decisions I have. Fortunately with time I've been able to largely undo most of them. I'm going to college now to undo a major one, and there's another bad decision I really don't want to discuss that I'm presently in the process of undoing.

But I think of all the bad decisions I've made over the years, the ones affecting my personal (i.e. "romance") life and ones affecting my education are the worst.

Dark Aspect
June 26th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I probably shouldn't post in this thread but I don't care really.....

My whole life has been one bad decision after another. My family life is complete crap, I completely lost my mind when was 16 and was hospitalized. I've been hospitalized in both psychiatric hospital and normal hospitals more than I can count in the last year, mostly for domestic violence. I have tried to commit suicide 4 times, once in the last month. I am $50,000 in medical debt and I am unemployable due to mental illness/autism and I have no way to pay for college which is due payment in about two months from now. Thus I am sitting in front of my computer at 2:00 AM trying to forget how bad life is and trying to force the memories and demons out of head with heavy metal at an ungodly volume.

Personally I would like to rewind when I was about 10yr and I can think of ssssoooo much I would do differently. As it is now, I wish one of the people who hit me in the past just killed me when I was younger. My first mistake was treating my dad like crap when I was younger and had him not talk to me AT ALL when I was 15/16. Yelling and slamming doors for no real reason and being disrespectful towards my parents; now they hate my guts and want me to die in a ditch, especially my dad.

My second mistake was trying to commit suicide when I was 16 which made my family situation worse. My school life was crap on top of that, people always beat me and I yelled at them the same way I did my parents. Now the memories are driving me mad, I can't get them out of my head, I see the people I have mistreated in the mirror. I see people mistreating/beating me every time I close my eyes.

I don't know whats wrong with me but I am miserable and I hate my life.

sharathpaps
June 26th, 2009, 09:46 AM
@Dark Aspect,
Hey, Some of us go through things that others don't. Why this is so is something that I cannot answer. But I always imagine it is so because some higher power that controls everything in this universe wants us to learn something from all that we go through. You ask for strength and you are given obstacles. You ask for happiness and you are given pain so that you understand that value of happiness. It is never too late to change. You can be eighty - have plundered and murdered and raped and robbed all your life and still change. Everybody gets a second chance. Everybody deserves a second chance. I always tell myself two things when I feel the worst..

1. Once I hit rock bottom, the only way left for me to go is UP.

2. The darkest hour of the day is just before dawn.

The best in life is just around the corner man. Nothing matters, nobody matters but you and the strength of your mind.

=>The first most important decision that you'd have to take is to stop feeling sorry for yourself. You have to learn to forgive you. It's the best gift that you can give yourself. Honest.

=>Secondly, take a very conscious and well thought out decision to change everything that you want to change and go about implementing that decision one step at a time. Slowly and surely.

As you do this, you are bound to face set backs but persevere and I guarantee you will not regret it. Somewhere around this time, as you start picking up the pieces of your life you'll find people are there to help you along the way. Lean on them.

Finally, when you do get better don't ever forget what you've been through. I mean, lose the bitter memories but keep the lessons you've learned. They will stand you in good stead.

@mkrahmeh
You might not have been looking for anything like what I said above but I sincerely hope that it's gist is what you need.

Good Luck!

longtom
June 26th, 2009, 10:57 AM
@Dark Aspect,
Hey, Some of us go through things that others don't. Why this is so is something that I cannot answer. But I always imagine it is so because some higher power that controls everything in this universe wants us to learn something from all that we go through. You ask for strength and you are given obstacles. You ask for happiness and you are given pain so that you understand that value of happiness. It is never too late to change. You can be eighty - have plundered and murdered and raped and robbed all your life and still change. Everybody gets a second chance. Everybody deserves a second chance. I always tell myself two things when I feel the worst..

1. Once I hit rock bottom, the only way left for me to go is UP.

2. The darkest hour of the day is just before dawn.

The best in life is just around the corner man. Nothing matters, nobody matters but you and the strength of your mind.

=>The first most important decision that you'd have to take is to stop feeling sorry for yourself. You have to learn to forgive you. It's the best gift that you can give yourself. Honest.

=>Secondly, take a very conscious and well thought out decision to change everything that you want to change and go about implementing that decision one step at a time. Slowly and surely.

As you do this, you are bound to face set backs but persevere and I guarantee you will not regret it. Somewhere around this time, as you start picking up the pieces of your life you'll find people are there to help you along the way. Lean on them.

Finally, when you do get better don't ever forget what you've been through. I mean, lose the bitter memories but keep the lessons you've learned. They will stand you in good stead.

@mkrahmeh
You might not have been looking for anything like what I said above but I sincerely hope that it's gist is what you need.

Good Luck!

I love the encouragement. And yes - there is a higher power for sure. I believe there is God and his son Jesus Christ. What I don't believe is:

But I always imagine it is so because some higher power that controls everything in this universe wants us to learn something from all that we go through.

No ways. God doesn't want us to go through bad things also he may teach us a lesson every now and again, once we did something we shouldn't have.
But we are not marionettes. He gave us an own, free will with which we can do what we want - even deny Him or fight against Him. The only thing we need to do after that is living with the consequences.
However, we can turn arround anytime, accept and aknowledge His presence and ask Him for forgiveness. That would mean, that we as well must be able to forgive, ourselves (as you said, sharathpaps) as well as those, who hurt as.

Once that is done, pick up those pieces and take every moment as it comes, pray and speak to God and I KNOW, your live will turn arround.

Dark Aspect, since you have written here, I believe there is a reason for it. So also I don't know anyting about your real circumstances but what you have written, I believe there is a solution - there always is. Now, this is my very personal way I would do this. I am not an evangelist nor am I particular good at this - but here it goes:

- Accept Jesus Christ as your saviour. If you don't know how, find a christian to help you. I will be gone for the next 3 weeks
from this forum. If I have a chance, I will check my pms on an airport I might be, if you would like to contact me about it.

- Once above is done, forgive those who hurt you. Now - this is the hard part. I struggled to forgive my father for a very long time - and I mean very long. Still - nothing improved in my life before I did that - it was a real turning point.
I also had to ask my parents for forgiveness - and they weren't even christians at the time. No easy task - I know. But if it needs to be done - do it. I read from your post, that you might be in that boat as well.

- Than you can ask God for forgiveness for whatever you have done and pick up your live from there. Find a group of christians who can help you, pick you up when things are difficult (which they will be at times).

There is no quick fix - but there is a road to recovery. I know you are loved, all you need to do is accept this love and you are halfway there.

I'll pray for you.

Statement:
Above is my personal opinion. I am a christian and believe, that Jesus Christ is the Way and the Truth. I explicitly do not expect anybody to agree with me - but will love it if you do.

mkrahmeh
June 26th, 2009, 01:37 PM
@dark aspect
sharathpaps and longtom suggested solutions to help you get back from what deceptively seems to be an irreversible situation (which is not), so they left no words for me.

but it is important to know that there is no instant solution to everything, as they said: slowly and surely, one problem at a time.
break it down, list the problems on a paper, just try it, and you will be surprised how things can be manageable and the whole situation is easier than you imagine, its just thinking about everything together magnifies the problem. set up a plan to each problem separately, and start by solving them one by one. in no time, you will see a big difference. once people start noticing the change, they will help, use that help, and don't spare a chance.

whether we suffer the consequences of our decision because god want us to learn from our mistakes or because we chose so, its not the case for me, but i believe that god made us so narrow sighted that we do not notice the imminent dangers around us each second of the day, and the merciful providence is watching for us all the time.
I am complaining about a bad decision, but who knows, if i didn't make it, something real bad might happen.

chucky chuckaluck
June 26th, 2009, 01:45 PM
If the worst decision you've ever made involves a computer operating system or hardware, then you've had a pretty darn good life.

or using an OS is the entirety of their life.

i can't think of any decisions that could be called 'worst'. even my biggest blunders have turned out well (if i had a super power, it would be super luck). i suppose any regrets i have probably involve women who would have eventually wrecked my life were i to have done things differently.

mkrahmeh
June 26th, 2009, 01:47 PM
@mkrahmeh

Good Luck!

your post is very helpful and uplifting indeed ;-)
thx a lot

baseface
June 26th, 2009, 04:29 PM
In all honesty, one of the worst decisions i've ever made was attempting to use Windows, I woke up about 5 years ago to linux and thought to myself... "Every day until now has been a waste, those monopolizing jerks and there freakin "CTRL ALT DEL" I think that is the only interupt key our children know off anymore. I for one regret every wasting my time with windows.

I also regret not being on these forums enough.

-Divider

if youre serious... well thats pretty damn pathetic.

keplerspeed
June 26th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I think it is clear that we all have ranging degrees of issues here. Is the wiser man the one that makes mistakes, or the one that does not? Can you be wise without making mistakes? I think not.

Dark Aspect
June 26th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I am surprised anyone replied.....I just woke up and I figured by now that some one would have deleted the post. Thank you sharathpaps and longtom for your time but unfortunately thats about all I can say. Christians are, in most cases the very people that hurt me.

My solution is finding a way out of my parents house, get drunk and stay drunk until I die. I have unfortunately given up on any redemption for myself or others. That post was just another sleepless night, nothing like going to hell and knowing exactly why your going there.....

Now.....I need coffee since I only slept about 3 hours in front of my computer.

KegHead
June 26th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Hi!

1. Earning a BBA degree in marketing.

2. Earning a professional degree.

KegHead

Therion
June 26th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I have to pick ONE?

geekygirl
June 27th, 2009, 04:41 PM
None really stand out as my worst - they all tend to be pretty much on par with one another and funnily enough always tend to involve someone of the opposite sex.

Although the worst decision was getting involved with someone, who, while at the time I didn't really see it (due to being at a low point in my life and drinking a bit myself) turned out to have a serious alcohol issue. Needless to say sometimes it takes a while to see someone for who they really are, I am thankful it took me only a few years instead of decades.

So now I have decided never to start a relationship drunk, in a bar, or anywhere near a bottle, and actually get to know the person before even thinking about making a serious emotional commitment. Being burnt badly is a hard thing to get over at the end of the day, and whilst there was no physical abuse, words can hurt just as much in the long term.

I guess as everyone else has stated, as long as we can learn from such things then maybe we can make better decisions in the future.

I am fortunate enough to be a strong minded person, and believe I have come out of all that with a better mindset. The tunnel is pretty dark at times, but I can see a spark of light out there now, just have to see if its the end of the tunnel or a train headed straight at me!

Hated On Mostly
June 30th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I am surprised anyone replied.....I just woke up and I figured by now that some one would have deleted the post. Thank you sharathpaps and longtom for your time but unfortunately thats about all I can say. Christians are, in most cases the very people that hurt me.

My solution is finding a way out of my parents house, get drunk and stay drunk until I die. I have unfortunately given up on any redemption for myself or others. That post was just another sleepless night, nothing like going to hell and knowing exactly why your going there.....

Now.....I need coffee since I only slept about 3 hours in front of my computer.

Here is another reason to listen to longtom's advice even if you don't like Christians:

http://i40.tinypic.com/20b23ac.gif

Come on now sensitive mods don't lock the thread or delete the pic, everyone laugh, this guy really needs it...

On a serious note, it sounds like you need to stop shitting on the few people in your life who like you or used to like you, need to get more sleep, sunlight, & exercise, stop listening to Linkin Park (good band, but not for you), and start living your life different in small ways each day so you can get out of your rut. Probably need to see some combination of therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, or simply people who can help you too. Problem with paid experts is they have a financial incentive to diagnose you as "broken" and continually treat you, so it can be difficult to find someone who can actually help you as opposed to just treating you and taking the money. Buyer beware. Even mental health professionals admit they don't actually know what they are doing, but that is another thread...

Stop being violent too. Since you are past 18 and live in the US any criminal mistake especially domestic violence can mark you for life. Depending on the situation and the demographic, trying to commit suicide in the US can result in criminal charges. The US is an unforgiving country when it comes to mistakes. There is an even deeper depression to experience if you have a criminal record and live in the United States...

Viva
July 9th, 2009, 03:46 PM
My worst decision? I have made a lot of bad decisions, but the one I regret most is not kicking my teacher who ridiculed me at every possible chance.

Gizenshya
July 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I've made a couple big mistakes in the past that have healed and I'm now glad I did them. For instance, I've pissed off people very close to me (close friends and family), and decided to move on form them. HUGE mistake. Holding grudges, "pride," and "saving face" are the real enemy. Luckily (very luckily), even after doing my damnedest to burn the bridges, I realized that and swallowed it all for another chance. Apologies and kind words without any asterisks (you know what I mean) goes a LONG way apparently, because now those bonds are stronger than they ever were before, and I've learned an important lesson in the process. One that, sadly, many people never learn.

I don't know if I would consider it luck, because it always seems to happen to just abut everyone, but all the decisions I used to think were bad turned out good. Yeah, they were bad for a time, but they always led to new opportunities. I think every decision does this.

A decision I made recently may turn out to be bad, though. I rejected a job offer at a good job at a law office in order to pursue my passion: management. I'm going to invest all my time to the job search, but I did bring some good recommendations from law. I'm nervous, but confident. Only time will tell.

and please people... take the religious crap elsewhere. Nobody asked for it, and ignoring REAL problems to sit and do nothing waiting on some mythical man in the sky helps NOBODY!

mkrahmeh
July 12th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Holding grudges, "pride," and "saving face" are the real enemy.
i agree. arrogance and uninformatively judging people can be added to the list

I don't know if I would consider it luck, because it always seems to happen to just abut everyone, but all the decisions I used to think were bad turned out good. Yeah, they were bad for a time, but they always led to new opportunities. I think every decision does this.

thats why patience is a great virtue

and please people... take the religious crap elsewhere. Nobody asked for it, and ignoring REAL problems to sit and do nothing waiting on some mythical man in the sky helps NOBODY!
take it easy there, coz religions do not ask people to sit by and wait till everything gets better at all, so dont make it sound as if they give false promises, coz if they were so, they would have been abandoned by human beings long time ago !!

Sand & Mercury
July 12th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I've made some bad decisions but I don't think I've ever made a wrong one. Biggest thing I did was deciding to move from Australia to Romania, to be with my girlfriend. It was based purely on my emotional state and had very little in the way of logic to back it up, and for a while here I very seriously considered going back because I thought I'd made a huge mistake. I gave up a great deal to be here. I dropped out of school, cancelled a lot of career opportunities etc. But still, I am happy with my current situation and if I had another chance I would not do a thing different.

Sometimes it's worth taking the plunge. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. Either way, life goes on.

infestor
July 12th, 2009, 03:55 PM
does studying count? btw i hold a bsc industrial/prod. degree and unemployed. i want my years back!

JDShu
July 12th, 2009, 04:36 PM
As a fresh grad, I regret the field I chose in university :(

I went into college thinking that I loved economics, which is true but also that I should take a practical subject in today's business world: financial mathematics. My math major forced me to take a computer science class which I loved and made me decided to take a minor in CS. Though I loved computer science and programming, I had been told that its a dying field because of outsourcing and that studying it would be financial suicide so I never decided to switch majors. Also, switching to CS would have extended my schooling by at least a semester and it did not seem worth it to me.

Then the financial crisis happened and it turned out that finance is not such a great field to be in. I really regret not studying the subject that I enjoyed so much in favor of something that I thought might be more useful.