PDA

View Full Version : Synaptic "alternative" names

lovinglinux
June 25th, 2009, 09:35 AM
The Synaptic Package Manager has a name that is not easy to remember and can be easily mistyped. Nevertheless, sometimes there are some interesting "alternative" names posted on the forums, like:

Sympatic or Sympathic Package Manager
Sympatetic or Sympathetic Package Manager
Synoptic Package Manager
Synapsis Package Manager
Synopsis Package Manager
Synthetic Package Manager

Those are the ones I have seen or was able to find using Google. I was wondering if someone else have seen other names?

etnlIcarus
June 25th, 2009, 10:35 AM
What the hell is difficult about typing:

$ sudo synaptic

?

And I'm assuming you've never used a bash alias?

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/2595/screenshotd.png

SunnyRabbiera
June 25th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I seen it spelled synaptics, close but still a mis spell

lovinglinux
June 25th, 2009, 10:45 AM

$ sudo synaptic

?

I don't have any issues typing synaptic or using aliases. I was just being polite about the subject, to avoid sounding like I was making fun of other people mistakes. I guess my strategy back fired :)

SunnyRabbiera
June 25th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Well one can understand the confusion, as there is nothing like a good package manager for Windows or OSX.

billgoldberg
June 25th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Yeah, the eternal mispelling of "Synaptic".

Most of the time I see it spelled wrongly as "Synaptics".

etnlIcarus
June 25th, 2009, 11:27 AM
oic. You'll have to forgive me; I'm a little slow on the uptake at the moment. Woke up about an hour ago.

bryonak
June 25th, 2009, 01:04 PM
The point about the name of Synaptic is that it's a frontent to the Advanced Packaging Tool, or short apt. The same applies to aptitude and the other apt-tools like apt-get, apt-cache...

So if you're proposting a name change, please keep the apt ;)

3rdalbum
June 25th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I think it's a great idea. We should confuse all 30 million Linux users, so that a handful of Windows users don't get confused between Synaptic Package Manager and the company that makes touchpads.

philcamlin
June 25th, 2009, 03:25 PM
i like ubuntu for that way more
no other os has a nice one like this

etnlIcarus
June 25th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Not being the only person who didn't get the joke makes me feel so much better.

aeiah
June 25th, 2009, 03:38 PM
you cant always account for people's rubbish reading and writing ability. i work for an environmental company, and one of my email addresses has the word environmental in the name. you'd be suprised how many people spell it wrong.

zika
June 25th, 2009, 03:42 PM

$ sudo synaptic

?

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/2595/screenshotd.png
You should use gksudo instead of sudo for synaptic and other GUI programs ... :)

etnlIcarus
June 25th, 2009, 03:46 PM
You should use gksudo instead of sudo for synaptic and other GUI programs ... :)

Firstly, I'm pretty sure gksudo has just been a wrapper script for gksu for around 5 years.

Secondly, what difference does it make? I'm in the terminal anyway.

dragos240
June 25th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I'm pretty sure it comes from synaptic package manager, using apt in the middle to signify that it's a package manager for apt.

bryonak
June 25th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Firstly, I'm pretty sure gksudo has just been a wrapper script for gksu for around 5 years.

http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo

qamelian
June 25th, 2009, 03:56 PM

The difference is that some GUI apps get broken when you run them with sudo in stead of gksu or gksudo.

dragos240
June 25th, 2009, 04:01 PM
The difference is that some GUI apps get broken when you run them with sudo in stead of gksu or gksudo.

An example please?? I've run a few applications with sudo, and it doesn't seem to do anything.

etnlIcarus
June 25th, 2009, 04:07 PM
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo

Never had a problem with sudo and the examples provided seem pretty obscure, at that.

FuturePilot
June 25th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I commonly see Synaptics. Synaptics happens to be the name of a type of touchpad on laptops.

qamelian
June 25th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Never had a problem with sudo and the examples provided seem pretty obscure, at that.
That doesn't mean there aren't other situations that aren't documented. The bottom line is the intent of the tool. The sudo command is only meant for running commands or apps that run in the terminal. It works fine for many/most GUI apps, but that is by accident, not by design. All GUI apps needing escalated privileges should be run using gksu or gksudo to avoid potential problems. It's a case of taking a second to do it right the first time to avoid scouring the forums for hours trying to find out why an app suddenly doesn't work right. the right too for the right job.

billgoldberg
June 25th, 2009, 05:02 PM
That doesn't mean there aren't other situations that aren't documented. The bottom line is the intent of the tool. The sudo command is only meant for running commands or apps that run in the terminal. It works fine for many/most GUI apps, but that is by accident, not by design. All GUI apps needing escalated privileges should be run using gksu or gksudo to avoid potential problems. It's a case of taking a second to do it right the first time to avoid scouring the forums for hours trying to find out why an app suddenly doesn't work right. the right too for the right job.

Correct.

lovinglinux
June 25th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Not being the only person who didn't get the joke makes me feel so much better.

Yep. Next time I will be less politically correct :)

etnlIcarus
June 26th, 2009, 05:46 AM

Well I'll be sure to remember that next time I'm running Firefox as root or X/KDE as root over SSH.

qamelian
June 26th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Well I'll be sure to remember that next time I'm running Firefox as root or X/KDE as root over SSH.
Well, I have seen users on this forum advise other posters to go ahead and run Firefox with the sudo command, so it does happen and probably more often than you realize. Just because you haven't had a problem, doesn't mean that no problem exists. I've never actually had a bullet wound, but that doesn't mean I want to point a loaded gun at my head! :)

Go ahead and make light of it if you like, but I have frequently seen posts on these forums describing problems that could be traced to misuse of these commands. If you want to turn left when a sign clearly says right turn only, be my guest.

etnlIcarus
June 26th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I'm not making light of ...well, you. I just cannot imagine a scenario where it become prudent to run firefox as root.

qamelian
June 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I'm not making light of ...well, you. I just cannot imagine a scenario where it become prudent to run firefox as root.
Really, there isn't any scenario when it would be advisable, but like I said, I've seen people suggest it to other users on these forums over the years. Just like I've seen people advise others to use sudo/gksu/gksudo for apps or commands that in no way requires escalated privileges under any circumstances. It does happen, so it's simply best practice to always use the commands that are appropos of the situation.