PDA

View Full Version : Competing with bash.org

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I made a site www.directoryadmin.info and started putting real quotes of me and my friends (a couple my friends sent me) on there. If you reload the page it changes. Some are hilarious. . .

http://www.directoryadmin.info

BTW, I added the counter to the site 4 hours ago. Oh, and Google just got done indexing it ;)

-grubby
June 25th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Remove the counter
Change the color scheme
Provide dynamic submitting of quotes

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Remove the counter
Change the color scheme
Provide dynamic submitting of quotes

1. Why remove the counter?
2. I like the color scheme, it took me a while to make it.
3. I will, once I figure out how to get javascript to display random lines of text from a text file, and make a cgi script that lets me send files to the text file.

sim-value
June 25th, 2009, 04:50 PM
3. I will, once I figure out how to get javascript to display random lines of text from a text file, and make a cgi script that lets me send files to the text file.

you definitly should use a database

else : fail; :lolflag:

billgoldberg
June 25th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Some funny quotes.

Linuxisevolution (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=612286) has quite the mouth.

Maybe that's why he got banned.

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Some funny quotes.

Linuxisevolution (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=612286) has quite the mouth.

He was fun though. . .

I was talking to him last night. THigs are different when you are on aim. I don't think he would be stupid enough to talk about things like that on here.. :D

EDIT: I just found that 2 of the quotes are from bash.org. Great, that is why you don't trust online friends.

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 05:27 PM
you definitly should use a database

else : fail; :lolflag:
Server would be too slow with database...

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Submit quotes to sparrow@directoryadmin.info

linuxisevolution is providing the email service. Neat.

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Some funny quotes.

You obviously don't know metallicamike113. . .

baseface
June 25th, 2009, 06:23 PM
im using IE right now and i cant see your site.

ERROR

The server is not happy with you. If it was, it would let you view this page.
To make it happy, use a new-age operating system like Linux, Unix, or Solaris.
Also, do not use Internet Explorer. Idiot Explorer makes my web pages look like crap!

baseface
June 25th, 2009, 06:24 PM
from what other ppl have said, seems like your website looks like crap regardless of internet explorer.

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I guess you shouldn't use IE, lol. Try using Firefox in windows, sorry. :P

Firefox or any browser but IE will work. IE users scare me. :KS

monsterstack
June 25th, 2009, 06:27 PM
from what other ppl have said, seems like your website looks like crap regardless of internet explorer.

Yeah, that's a really great way to make decisions in life. Everybody else said it was crap. Why think for yourself when everyone else can do it for you? Kudos to you.

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 06:27 PM

Don't feel insulted because I don't like your browser of choice. I have 8 website... This is the one that has links to all the others, and a quote mechanism written in javascript. That page looks like crap because I only felt like putting 5minutes into it. THe actual page, when viewed in Firefox, looks great.

baseface
June 25th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Yeah, that's a really great way to make decisions in life. Everybody else said it was crap. Why think for yourself when everyone else can do it for you? Kudos to you.

the error message i got when i tried to see the website in IE said that IE makes his website look like crap. SO, from what other people have already said in this thread, it doesnt seem to be IE that makes it look like crap, but rather the guy who made the website. kudos to you.

baseface
June 25th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Don't feel insulted because I don't like your browser of choice. I have 8 website... This is the one that has links to all the others, and a quote mechanism written in javascript. That page looks like crap because I only felt like putting 5minutes into it. THe actual page, when viewed in Firefox, looks great.

isnt this the same type of thing you ubuntu people are supposed to be against? freedom? i dont have the freedom to view your website with my browser of choice.

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 06:31 PM
the error message i got when i tried to see the website in IE said that IE makes his website look like crap. SO, from what other people have already said in this thread, it doesnt seem to be IE that makes it look like crap, but rather the guy who made the website. kudos to you.

No, IE can't render my pages correctly because it doesn't meet the standards of certain HTML thingies. I use the word thingies so you will understand.

Why not just download Firefox or use Google cache? You could even use a translation service or proxy. For God sakes, please use your brain! :)

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 06:31 PM
isnt this the same type of thing you ubuntu people are supposed to be against? freedom? i dont have the freedom to view your website with my browser of choice.

I have the freedom to control my website. The site runs on Debian, so that doesn't apply. :lolflag:

baseface
June 25th, 2009, 06:33 PM
No, IE can't render my pages correctly because it doesn't meet the standards of certain HTML thingies. I use the word thingies so you will understand.

Why not just download Firefox or use Google cache? You could even use a translation service or proxy. For God sakes, please use your brain! :)

seeing as how im at work and cant install firefox..........
and i think you use the word "thingies" because you have no idea what youre actually trying to say.

baseface
June 25th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I have the freedom to control my website. The site runs on Debian, so that doesn't apply. :lolflag:

a little hypocritical, no?

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I really don't want to start a flame war. The freedom is -you don't have to use my website. You have the freedom to go somewhere else, including another browser or forum.

If you want to view my site just do it the "way you ubuntu people would do it" and use firefox. Seems to me you want to benefit from our policies, but not follow the OSS trend.

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 06:36 PM
a little hypocritical, no?

Yes. I guess so. It was more of a joke, though. If you are at work, then why are you trying to view my website?? Go on newegg and make it look like you are working:D. I do that.

metallicamike
June 25th, 2009, 06:36 PM
omg you both sound retarded get over yourselves. besides there are some quotes that are.....disturbing.

monsterstack
June 25th, 2009, 06:37 PM
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/stuffandstuffand/Screenshot-8.png
Here it is in Firefox. Now you can think for yourself and come to an informed decision about it.

Internet Explorer has set web development back years or more. I really wish it would just die already. But I agree with you. Hey OP, remove your javascript that hides the page from IE users. If all sites in the world removed all of the mangled css and javascript hacks to get IE to render properly, it just might convince Microsoft to make a decent browser for change. Either that, or nobody will use IE any more. Either is acceptable.

baseface
June 25th, 2009, 06:37 PM
i dont want to follow the "oss trend"?
funny seeing as how ive been using freebsd since the 4.6 release and i administer computational clusters that run openbsd.
as for why im using IE... im at a clients location waiting for him to get out of a meeting.

metallicamike
June 25th, 2009, 06:38 PM
i spoke too late

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 06:39 PM
omg you both sound retarded get over yourselves. besides there are some quotes that are.....disturbing.

Those are your quotes. For instance:

(4:34:22 AM) metallicamike113: i just realized i asked you wen you last jacked off Only you would say that at 4:00 AM on irc. :P

metallicamike
June 25th, 2009, 06:40 PM
.......................0.o

metallicamike
June 25th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Only you would say that at 4:00 AM on irc. :P

it says 11:43

metallicamike
June 25th, 2009, 06:42 PM
nvm you changed it.....sneaky

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 06:42 PM
:lolflag:
nvm you changed it.....sneaky

Fun times....

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 06:44 PM
i dont want to follow the "oss trend"?
funny seeing as how ive been using freebsd since the 4.6 release and i administer computational clusters that run openbsd.
as for why im using IE... im at a clients location waiting for him to get out of a meeting.

Well, thats good. BSD is a good operating system. I think you can run Firefox on that. :)

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 06:47 PM
THE EVIL JAVASCRIPT CODE HAS BEEN REMOVED FOR baseface. Your welcome.

monsterstack
June 25th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Just for kicks, I installed IE6 and disabled javascript to see what the deal is.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/stuffandstuffand/Screenshot-9.png

Woop. Now compare:

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/stuffandstuffand/Screenshot-8.png

In IE, the fonts look crap, but Windows-users are used to that sort of thing so it doesn't really matter.

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Just for kicks, I installed IE6 and disabled javascript to see what the deal is.

Woop.

I just now disabled the code, man. Before it would take you to www.zephyruslinux.info/linknofound (http://www.zephyruslinux.info/linknofound)

EDIT: I like your window title fonts, what are they? Could I know, please? :)

monsterstack
June 25th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I just now disabled the code, man. Before it would take you to www.zephyruslinux.info/linknofound (http://www.zephyruslinux.info/linknofound)

EDIT: I like your window title fonts, what are they? Could I know, please? :)

Title bars use a font called Zekton. Everything use uses Minya Nouvelle.

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 06:52 PM
All it affects is the fonts? Wow, before i changed the css code it was much much worse. It looked like it was thrown into the rendering engine backwards.

monsterstack
June 25th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Checked the page in IE6 again. Looks the same except now the quotes load, and there are three mysterious hash characters ("###") at the top of the page. How odd.

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Checked the page in IE6 again. Looks the same except now the quotes load, and there are three mysterious hash characters ("###") at the top of the page. How odd.

I only have 1 hash. Maybe I messed something up when I disabled the javascript code. I put hashes in front of it, but maybe html doesnt work like configuration files in Unix? lol... whoops.

monsterstack
June 25th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I only have 1 hash. Maybe I messed something up when I disabled the javascript code. I put hashes in front of it, but maybe html doesnt work like configuration files in Unix? lol... whoops.

Hahaha. Nice work :P

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Fixed now I think. But don't try to visit
http://www.zephyruslinux.info/
http://www.directoryadmin.info/howto/monoblock/
or http://www.directoryadmin.info/forums/forum/

Because they do have the code...

K.Y.A
June 25th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Heh, glad that's over :)

sim-value
June 25th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Everbody stop triple posting !!!

CJ Master
June 25th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Everbody stop triple posting !!!

Better then posting a worthless off-topic comment.

I visited the site but it didn't show any quotes. I'm running Firefox 3.0.11 on Arch Linux.

metallicamike
July 1st, 2009, 06:25 AM
there are some epic quotes on there. Some by me

tjwoosta
July 1st, 2009, 06:50 AM
I like the color scheme, you should make the forums match.