PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Copy/paste stops working after application close - bug?

patman0623
June 25th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Problem is exactly as title describes. After closing an application (e.g., Firefox), the clipboard is destroyed. Is that a bug that I should report at Launchpad? Or is this a "feature"

JEREMIAHBARLOW
April 27th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I am having the same issue with Ubuntu 9.10.

I can Cut or Copy something, and if I close the program or application then the OS seems to forget or looses the Clipboard data.

This sure seems like a bug, Clipboard data needs to stay on the clipboard better. I wonder if there is an advance clip-board tool that would even let you have multiple clipboards at the same time.

Now that would be cool. ... but until then we have to maintain both applications open until you Paste the data to the new application.

SO STUPID for sure.... or in other words ... a BUG in the OS.
:confused:

luigi_mb
April 28th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I am having the same issue with Ubuntu 9.10.

I can Cut or Copy something, and if I close the program or application then the OS seems to forget or looses the Clipboard data.

This sure seems like a bug, Clipboard data needs to stay on the clipboard better. I wonder if there is an advance clip-board tool that would even let you have multiple clipboards at the same time.

Now that would be cool. ... but until then we have to maintain both applications open until you Paste the data to the new application.

SO STUPID for sure.... or in other words ... a BUG in the OS.
:confused:

It is not a bug, it is by design.

/luigi

SnickerSnack
April 28th, 2010, 04:19 AM
Problem is exactly as title describes. After closing an application (e.g., Firefox), the clipboard is destroyed. Is that a bug that I should report at Launchpad? Or is this a "feature"

Do you mean the middle-click buffer, or the Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V buffer?

Old *ix Geek
April 28th, 2010, 07:55 AM
It is not a bug, it is by design.Then it's a stupid design. IMHO, of course. :)

I like to do things FAST. So if I have an app open and I copy something that I'm going to paste into some other app, and I don't need the first app open any more, I CLOSE IT. Boom. Closed. Done. It's just plain stupid to lose what I copied just because I closed the app. ](*,)

utnubuuser
April 28th, 2010, 08:03 AM

If I might point-out the obvious: There are "advanced" clipboard tools available. Eg: Klipper.
http://sazeit.com/articles/klipper-in-ubuntu-gnome
Install through Synaptic, or with
sudo apt-get install klipper then add it to your start-up apps.
Klipper remembers clipboard history - up to 2048 entries - even after system-shutdown/restart, and enables clipboard-actions.

patman0623
April 28th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I opened this thread many months ago, and I stand by it. If I hit ctrl-c, then close the application, there is no benefit whatsoever (that I can think of) to losing the data when the application is closed. I may well decide to file a bug - I don't think I should need to install some advanced clipboard project on my computer to do a proper paste operation.

3rdalbum
April 28th, 2010, 12:22 PM
It's not exactly a bug, because it works exactly the way that Freedesktop.org specifies that the clipboard should work (maintained by the program). It is a bad design though.

Glipper is a Gnome panel applet (as in, you install it and then right-click on your panel and go to Add To Panel... and choose Clipboard Manager) that works around the bad design and gives you a persistent clipboard, and other features.

stinkeye
April 28th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Parcellite is another popular clipboard manager.

patman0623
April 29th, 2010, 01:06 AM
How would one go about making suggestions for freedesktop.org? At the risk of being impolite, I can't imagine who in the world came up with this hairbrained design.

ElSlunko
May 4th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I don't find it intuitive either, but it did lead me to parcellite which is a great little app.

Old *ix Geek
May 6th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I opened this thread many months ago, and I stand by it. If I hit ctrl-c, then close the application, there is no benefit whatsoever (that I can think of) to losing the data when the application is closed. I may well decide to file a bug - I don't think I should need to install some advanced clipboard project on my computer to do a proper paste operation.Exactly. I really don't get the "logic" behind it at all!

WakkiTabakki
May 7th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Exactly. I really don't get the "logic" behind it at all!

Here is the Launchpad bug report which explains it:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/11334?comments=all

It started in 2004 and has over 200 comments...

/N

JEREMIAHBARLOW
May 21st, 2010, 05:58 PM
I found this glipper and it works good.

In a terminal
Applications > Accessories > Terminal
Code:
sudo apt-get install glipper