PDA

View Full Version : Ditching Windows is a good thing!

boysha
June 25th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I was a Windows fan for years. I use to fight with spy-ware, viruses, worms...But it was a proud fight where I actually felt like I am doing some good work that is needed and that is how things should be. At the same time I was getting a little frustrated thinking that there must be a better way - to have an operating system that will just work. That I can use and not feel used...
I started searching for other OS's (Operating System) and yes, there was quite a few that were at different stages of development. I am only going to talk about one kind though - Linux.
Now, if you are like me and would like to turn on your PC, wait for 10-15 seconds and start using your computer without having to first run Spybot or AdAware or making sure that your anti-virus is up to date with latest antivirus definitions, then Linux is the answer for you.
I remember first going to http://distrowatch.com/ where Google suggested. Great place but hey, there's like hundreds of different distros ((DISTRibutOr or DISTRibutiOn) Typically refers to a Linux distributor or distribution. It may also refer to a distributor of e-zines or Webzines.) All of those distros had something great and something not as great about them. Witch one to choose?
That is a simple question with not very simple answer. What I did is, I started testing all the ones I thought were worth testing. (There is a short info about every distribution that can really help at first.) It took me a better part of the year but I was ready to find what I am looking for and there was no stopping me.
Finally I first installed (with intention of keeping it) Ubuntu. Great distro, very friendly and somewhat familiar for a former Windows user. Yes, not everything was working straight from the box but hey, it was damn close to it and free!
I think I was playing with Ubuntu (more like trying to learn great many aspects of the OS) for a year. Then in some blog or comment I can't remember, I heard that there is Linux Mint and that it is really cool...I had to try it out...
Needles to say, I am still using Mint and am happy like a pig in the mud. Maybe better then me talking about it, if you are interested, you should read this:
http://www.tech-no-media.com/2009/06/taking-gloria-out-for-spin-review-of.html
It's about the latest version of Mint - Gloria and it will tell you a story about this distro that is just a part of how great this distro is. I started with Linux Mint - Barbara. That was version 2.0...Now it's version 7.0 so yes, some time ago...But even then when Barbara was around, it was a good distro. Based on Ubuntu but somehow much closer to what I am looking for in the operating system. I remember at that time that there was not many Mint fans. Forum was kind of empty. Still, everyone was friendly and wanted to help. No know-it-all faces. Just pure "let me help if I can" guys...It was like entering a different World where someone actually likes that I am there and want to help me be more comfortable. It was a great feeling and combined with all the benefits of Linux I was absolutely ready to leave Windows behind and start fresh.
So, to make a long story short. Having an OS that will work like Windows but better, with way many more built in tools and functions. That looks and feels slick. That is customizable in any way, shape and form. That is fast and has the ability to accept several hundred software (all free). That can be used for many purposes and that one doesn't have to restart all the time, fight against all the crap that Windows user now days just think it is a part of a normal day and is all free...What is there to think about? How is that even a question?
Yes, I stopped using Windows as my main OS and now I am a happy user of Linux Mint. On top of it all, I still have Windows running inside my Linux Mint using VMWare Player (virtual machine) that is, you guessed, also free.
<snip>

madjr
June 25th, 2009, 07:53 AM
thank you

linux mint user here also :D

phantom232
June 25th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I will have to try this MINT out....sounds like an interesting distro

magmon
June 25th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Glad you found what works for you! At the moment, Im happy with ubuntu, but I may try mint in the future.