PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lost basket notepad location

Shvetaketu
June 25th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Hi,
I was just trying to "backup and restore" basket notepads. I had some pretty important notes in it.

I clicked on Basket-> backup & restore

Thought I'd move the location first, but clicked on "use another existing folder'. Now I don't have my notes at all. I tried to google for the original location of the notes even installed ubuntu on another machine and found that it is in the home/myname/.kde/share/apps/basket folder. But can't find my .kde folder. My original machine is a 64 bit one, and the second one is a 32 bit one.

Can anyone help me find my notes please. It's very urgent that I recover my notes as I have an exam.

Shvetaketu

DatOne
June 25th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Can you see any of the hidden (/.xxx) folders? If not, when in your home folder, press Ctrl+h to view them.

Shvetaketu
June 25th, 2009, 06:19 AM
DatOne that was great! I can find my folder there. I had such a painstakingly collected information in it that it would have put me back in my exam preparation significantly.

When I tried to change the folder in Basket though, it wouldn't show up. I right-clicked on the folder and clicked "show hidden folders", and it showed up.

Thanks even more for the prompt reply. I have been addicted to Ubuntu. But this is my first doubt that I had to ask at the forums, and I'm impressed!!! Long live Ubuntu

Shvetaketu

Shvetaketu
June 25th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Hi DatOne,

Ran into more trouble. But this time I backed up all my data, so I'm assuming it's safe. I was trying to move the folder to my other partition which I regularly backup. I did the necessary things and got to the window that said: your baskets have been successfully moved, basked notepad is going to be restarted.

Then another window popped up saying: "file permissions are bad for /home/myname.../basket/baskets/basket8/.basket. Please check that you have write access to it and the parent folders"

I can't close this window, and basket stays in the background. Help again!!

Shvetaketu

Shvetaketu
June 25th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I forced the application to quit (u can do this by right clicking on the taskbar and "add panel", select "force quit" and add; then click on the icon that appears, and click on the program that is not closing).

I was concerned I would have lost something, but haven't lost any of my notes. Not that I have noticed yet.

Shvetaketu