PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error Installing Lunix

Conor Erickson
June 25th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Hello! I have used lunix in the past and loved it! Ok so to the problem. I have a REALLY old computer and i mean REALLY OLD. I planned on using this computer as a Guinea pig for an OS that my friend and i are in the process of programming. Unforuntatly, as of now the OS that we are making cant run on my laptop, and i dont wanna put it on there untill it is complete. The only way i can get my OS to the other computer is through a Download link, because the old computer doesnt have a USB slot, and my OS isnt a Disk image. So i was planning on putting Ubuntu on the computer first. I had it working in the past on Ubuntu 6. something, but, eventually, it kept getting Grub error 17. So i thought "huh, whats going on?" Resulting in a googling with no results. So i got Ubuntu 9.0 and burned it to a disk, and it seemed to install well, but then, it said "BIOS is outdated, please.." and then it flashed to a different screen before i could read the rest. The Following screen was completely black, and it never changed so i Powered it down. I tryed again later, and never got that screen again. So i come to you asking is there a Linux ubuntu avaliable for the following BIOS?

Award Modular BIOS V4.51PG
ASUS P5A-B ACPI BIOS REVISION 1004
Award plug and play BIOS Extenstion v1.0A

The Procceser is a first Generation Pentium:
Pentium-MMX 233MHz Procceser

Please Help! :D

lisati
June 25th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Lunix? typo? (hmmmm.... I think we can skip the teasing.....)

There are a number of smaller distributions of Linux that might be of interest, like Puppy Linux and DSL.

How much RAM (memory) does your machine have?

Conor Erickson
June 25th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Hm, now it has 65536k after i tried to install Ubuntu 9.0 but before it had around 78XXXXXK, Im considering Wiping the Hard drives, and trieing to re-install the Ubuntu 6. If i get Grub Error 17, I wipe again, and try 9.0