PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever tried mathomatic (application)?

monsterstack
June 25th, 2009, 01:10 AM
It's a terminal app, and ridiculously powerful stuff. If you want to try, run,

sudo apt-get install mathomatic
or just search for it in Synaptic or Add/Remove. Then just run "mathomatic" in the terminal to start doing cool stuff.

To try it out, I made it do Pythagoras' theorem:

1-> a^2=b^2+c^2
#1: a^2 = (b^2) + (c^2)

Well, not much there. But what if I wanted to solve that equation to find b? I tried doing that:

1-> b
#1: b = ((-1*((c^2) - (a^2)))^-)*sign1

Yowzer, it actually did all the transposition for me. This is pretty cool stuff. The answer it gives for b is a little unwieldy, so I tried simplifying it:

1-> simplify
#1: b = (((a^2) - (c^2))^-)*sign1

Cool stuff! But maybe I want to use this equation in a C programme, and also a python app, so I tried that:

1-> code c
b = (pow(((a*a) - (c*c)), (1.0/2.0))*sign1);
1-> code python
b = ((((a*a) - (c*c))**(1.0/2.0))*sign1)

Not bad. Not bad at all. I think this little application is awesome. That is all. Bye!

dragos240
June 25th, 2009, 01:17 AM
It's a terminal app, and ridiculously powerful stuff. If you want to try, run,

sudo apt-get install mathomaticor just search for it in Synaptic or Add/Remove. Then just run "mathomatic" in the terminal to start doing cool stuff.

To try it out, I made it do Pythagoras' theorem:

1-> a^2=b^2+c^2
#1: a^2 = (b^2) + (c^2)Well, not much there. But what if I wanted to solve that equation to find b? I tried doing that:

1-> b
#1: b = ((-1*((c^2) - (a^2)))^-)*sign1
2Yowzer, it actually did all the transposition for me. This is pretty cool stuff. The answer it gives for b is a little unwieldy, so I tried simplifying it:

1-> simplify
#1: b = (((a^2) - (c^2))^-)*sign1
2Cool stuff! But maybe I want to use this equation in a C programme, and also a python app, so I tried that:

1-> code c
b = (pow(((a*a) - (c*c)), (1.0/2.0))*sign1);
1-> code python
b = ((((a*a) - (c*c))**(1.0/2.0))*sign1)Not bad. Not bad at all. I think this little application is awesome. That is all. Bye!

Oh yeah.... now math is easier than ever, even though math to me is easy anyways.

H2SO_four
June 25th, 2009, 01:21 AM
using a TI-83 is still easier...