PDA

View Full Version : List one small thing you would change about Ubuntu.

CJ Master
June 25th, 2009, 12:35 AM
As the title describes - if there was one small change/addition you could add to Ubuntu, what would it be?

Well, for me I would add a dialog on the first bootup that shows users the bare basics. Like how to run and get programs.

Sealbhach
June 25th, 2009, 12:40 AM
When I open Nautilus I would rename "File System" to "Nothing to See Here".:)

monsterstack
June 25th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Have an option somewhere to switch the labels of applications in the menu to the actual names of the applications. I always go to click "Gedit" and then do a double-take when it isn't there, before clicking on "Text Editor" whilst grumbling nonsensically.

lisati
June 25th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Not exactly a small thing to implement (or necessarily something to be taken seriously), but maybe something like this:
read-my-mind-and-do-what-I-want-not-what-I-typed
Depending on what's needed a the time, automatic root privileges might be useful.

TheLions
June 25th, 2009, 12:49 AM
opened new nautilus windows would display as one nautilus tab

dragos240
June 25th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I would remove pulseaudio.

cc8balla
June 25th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I would be able to change the position of the new notifications, or notify-osd if you will.

dragos240
June 25th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Actually, the option of toggling the features you liked.

Rainstride
June 25th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Have an option somewhere to switch the labels of applications in the menu to the actual names of the applications. I always go to click "Gedit" and then do a double-take when it isn't there, before clicking on "Text Editor" whilst grumbling nonsensically.
use the menu editor "main menu" its under system > preferences.

I would remove pulseaudio.
you can do that right now:)

dragos240
June 25th, 2009, 02:06 AM
you can do that right now:)

I have. I meant by default

Rainstride
June 25th, 2009, 02:11 AM
I have. I meant by default

oh, I will be glad when we get 9.10 with glitch free pulse.

starcannon
June 25th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Fix all known existing bugs before adding anything else.
I know you said small, but I dream big.

I know its important to continue adding features; but as of 9.04 Ubuntu is absolutely Feature Rich; so, before adding to, I'd love to see fix up. It could either be one helluva long LTS that just gets the livin tar patched out of it, or it could be several releases that really only are "under the hood" releases that continue to fix the problems.

Just my .02, and I'm not flaming, I use Ubuntu as my main OS (Windows is useful for Eveonline and nothing else).

Same goes for Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and all the other derivatives, fix whats in place before adding more.

philcamlin
June 25th, 2009, 02:25 AM
nothing at all

it works so perfect on my machine! no probl;rms at all :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

madjr
June 25th, 2009, 02:30 AM
As the title describes - if there was one small change/addition you could add to Ubuntu, what would it be?

Well, for me I would add a dialog on the first bootup that shows users the bare basics. Like how to run and get programs.

+1

and i would add 1 click IRC real time chat support like in linuxmint7

auto-backups a la time machine

also, much more love to kubuntu (specially kpackage kit sucks next to synaptic and gnome-app-install)

philcamlin
June 25th, 2009, 02:37 AM
actually i would like more wireless drivers :popcorn:

there are alot of people who cant find them

Rainstride
June 25th, 2009, 02:46 AM
how about the ability to detect key presses on gamepads. so that when i am playing resident evil 4 in wine, or my psx games i don't get interrupted and have to log back in.

days_of_ruin
June 25th, 2009, 03:44 AM
I want notify-osd more customizable. Since its pretty new I have hopes for getting more options pretty soon:D

Chilli Bob
June 25th, 2009, 04:55 AM
I would like them to ditch that thing that makes your mouse pointer randomly shoot to one of the corners of the screen, usually when you are playing a game and it's bloody annoying. What is the point of that anyway?

MaxIBoy
June 25th, 2009, 05:09 AM
I am quite aware that this is one of the most over-suggested ideas of all time, and that it will never happen, but I want Ubuntu to be a rolling-release distro. Why? Because it's the most commonly-used distro, and keeping everything in it up-to-date would push the Linux ecosystem ahead as a whole.

I also want them to maintain more compatibility with Debian (the way Debian Sid is compatible with the stable release, so you could mix the repos if you were to be very, very careful.)

praveesh
June 25th, 2009, 07:01 AM
If possible, I would add an option to select packages (or an option to toggle between advanced and normal user) in the installation.

Giant Speck
June 25th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Give me the ability to customize the horizontal and vertical spacing of icons on the desktop like you can in Windows. Also give me the ability to set a limit to how many characters are on each row in an icons filename on the desktop and the ability to remove the text shadow if I want to.

Let me make custom menus on the panel instead of forcing me to either use one window or the three-menu layout (applications, system, and places). I want to make my own menu and put whatever the hell I want to in it.

magmon
June 25th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I would make it easier to find compiz, I always forget where it is and it glitches the hell outa full screen games.

hessiess
June 25th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Replace gnome with DWM(the tiling WM).

stwschool
June 25th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I would make it easier to find compiz, I always forget where it is and it glitches the hell outa full screen games.
Terminal -> sudo apt-get install fusion-icon

Job done :)

magmon
June 25th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Terminal -> sudo apt-get install fusion-icon

Job done :)

Try system-> preferances ->Appearance ->visual effects

Im still getting over my windows-taught computer usage lol

madjr
June 25th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I am quite aware that this is one of the most over-suggested ideas of all time, and that it will never happen, but I want Ubuntu to be a rolling-release distro. Why? Because it's the most commonly-used distro, and keeping everything in it up-to-date would push the Linux ecosystem ahead as a whole.

I also want them to maintain more compatibility with Debian (the way Debian Sid is compatible with the stable release, so you could mix the repos if you were to be very, very careful.)

+1

and service packs for lts

@Chilli Bob
thats your optical mouse fault

oomingmak
June 25th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Implement proper single-click (rather than the pathetic half implemented lash-up that currently exists).

nimrodwebdesign
June 26th, 2009, 12:18 AM
The thing that REALLY bugs me is when I type a name for a file I'm saving, only to look up and find it's searching for that name. Why would it put focus in the existing files area, rather than the file name box???? Arggghhhh!!!

But as that's not really that big a problem.

=)

Oh, and why can't I drag windows between desktops in the panel app when using compiz??? I don't use compiz because of that. =(

monsterstack
June 26th, 2009, 12:35 AM
The thing that REALLY bugs me is when I type a name for a file I'm saving, only to look up and find it's searching for that name. Why would it put focus in the existing files area, rather than the file name box???? Arggghhhh!!!

But as that's not really that big a problem.

=)

Oh, and why can't I drag windows between desktops in the panel app when using compiz??? I don't use compiz because of that. =(

Yowzer, yes. Very yes. I'd like to see this behaviour change, too.

Dimitriid
June 26th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Include options for non-brown themes.

days_of_ruin
June 26th, 2009, 12:42 AM

That isn't a small change :P

doas777
June 26th, 2009, 12:43 AM
full copy/paste support.

native directx would be really nice, as would bulletproof acpi but neither of these are little.

nimrodwebdesign
June 26th, 2009, 12:43 AM
include options for non-brown themes.

lol :D

zero777zero
June 26th, 2009, 01:04 AM
better default look

xuCGC002
June 26th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Stable and fully functional Intel drivers, so I can show people Compiz with a LiveCD.

Other than that, when Lubuntu (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu) comes out, everything will be pretty good.

danbuter
June 26th, 2009, 02:44 AM
The stupid dependencies that are rampant in the distro.

orlox
June 26th, 2009, 03:14 AM
+1 for adding an option in nautilus to open new windows in tabs of an open window (quite much like firefox's behavior)

Wiebelhaus
June 26th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Market Share.

l-x-l
June 26th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I'd change better icons resolutions for minimized apps. For instance.. when apps are minimized & you press Super+Tab, a big blurry icon for that app appears on the screen.

For a modern OS that needs to be fixed.

s3a
June 26th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Make simulatenous incoming/outgoing webcam/mic communications a priority! I know empathy is working on this but this is something that should have been completed a long time ago! Skype has a lot of issues especially if you try to run it in 64 bit! More efforts should be done to allow empathy grow and be able to do everything that the real Windows Live Messenger can do (MSN games, video conversations, etc)!

stinger30au
June 26th, 2009, 09:07 AM
i would let users be able to right click a number of directorys and have a "copy to directorys" appear so we can copy multiple files in to multiple dirrectorys via gui easily

i would also impliement the kmail outlook express direct import to evolution for easier migration to evolution

CJ Master
July 7th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Market Share.

That's not quite a small change.

Lateforgym
July 8th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Its name and user interface and load-sound

After using this for a year KDE is better by far. If this thing is suppose to be cutting edge. Make it look that way. I cant believe that stupid looking bird thing was the wall paper symbol. Perceived user experience is key, not, "well if you dont like like you can just change".....No, I shouldnt have to change anything. I cant believe some hacker distro of Linux looks 10 times better.

Simian Man
July 8th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Make it not based on Debian.

Tristam Green
July 8th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Make it look less like Windows overall.

i.e.

remove "Add or Remove Programs" or at the very least, retitle its entry.
Make a fully customizable menu like Speck said - none of this "one or three" things.
Make libnotify/notify-osd customizable (color/position/size/font) and optional.
Come up with an original UI.

TylerBraun
July 9th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I would like them to ditch that thing that makes your mouse pointer randomly shoot to one of the corners of the screen, usually when you are playing a game and it's bloody annoying. What is the point of that anyway?

That happens to me too, but I think it is my mouse because it happens to me in Windows too and on more than one of my families computers. It is the worst while I am playing Half-Life.

As for the topic of the thread, I would prioritize hardware compatibility. I love Linux, but it has screwed up a couple of mp3 players my family has, and a lot of other stuff I have simply doesn't work. I think that is Linux's greatest flaw. If that is too big, then I would put the log-off option back in the window that appears when I hit the power button in 9.04. It was there in 8.04. Power button, <alt>l. Can't do that anymore. I have to use the mouse now. :P

CJ Master
July 11th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Make it look less like Windows overall.

i.e.

remove "Add or Remove Programs" or at the very least, retitle its entry.
Make a fully customizable menu like Speck said - none of this "one or three" things.
Make libnotify/notify-osd customizable (color/position/size/font) and optional.
Come up with an original UI.

1) You want them to remove a perfectly good application for newbies because it's "Windows-like?"
2) I agree
3) Agreed.
4) GNOME is very original. :\