PDA

View Full Version : Ban all X vs. Y Threads ?

sim-value
June 24th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Hi !

Are you like me getting tired and Sick of "Windows Vs. Linux" "Opera Vs. Firefox" "OSX Vs. Linux" "My mom Vs. Your Granma" threads ?

I think we should ban all of them or atleast all of the not Linux related ones (eg. (what does eg. mean anyway?!) "UXA VS. EXA") or all which go into a too wide Range eg "Windows Vs. Linux" not okay but "Windows Vista Installation Vs. Jaunty Install" ...

This of course only for statement threads anybody should be allowed to ask "Which distro for my Toilet Flush " or "Should i learn Qt or GTK libraries" ...

Maybe im also just physically tired and shouldnt post at 11 PM

Are you guys even real ?

/me

Chemical Imbalance
June 24th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I think everybody gets sick of them. They mostly get closed eventually anyway.

E.g. means "exempli gratia", or "for example".

koshatnik
June 24th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Yes please. But then there would only be 2 threads in this entire forum.

monsterstack
June 24th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Pfft, $X is obviously way better than $Y. And to prove it, here's a bunch of probably made-up anecdotal evidence which I am going to use to make enormous sweeping generalisations about something, because the universe actually resolves around me. The problems I had with $Y will be shared with every single person on planet earth, and maybe even by those beyond planet earth too.

starcraft.man
June 24th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Censorship is wrong IMO, so no. No matter if it's annoying, you don't have to look or respond to them. It's not like this huge forum has a lack of sub sections...

Also, X is always better. Reason is simple, it's the first unknown most people learn in math, and first is always better. As well, it sounds way cooler, like Planet-X. Planet-Y sounds silly.

Therion
June 24th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Don't be lame... Vote X!!!

starcannon
June 24th, 2009, 10:03 PM
It's Community Cafe; half the point is to allow people to discuss such topics. Fortunately not reading an X vs. Y thread is as simple as not clicking on it, or clicking the Back button if you have found yourself in one by mistake.

FuturePilot
June 24th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Censorship is wrong IMO, so no. No matter if it's annoying, you don't have to look or respond to them. It's not like this huge forum has a lack of sub sections...

My thoughts exactly. Even if they are annoying, censorship is very bad.

SunnyRabbiera
June 24th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Don't be lame... Vote X!!!

Y is my choice as its more common, also I am about ready to make a thread about why X aint ready for the alphabet!

And dont get me started on the A vs B, or the 1 vs 2 debate!

:popcorn:

H2SO_four
Yes please. But then there would only be 2 threads in this entire forum.

lol, we woud stil have bump thread, count to 200 and screenshot thread. :)

LookTJ
Yes, as it tends to shoot up some political discussions, but that's human nature. Still it's annoying. :D

Chemical Imbalance
June 24th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Oh, its not like these forums aren't censored already! ;)

Mateo
June 24th, 2009, 10:08 PM
No, don't ban them. There's an easy solution for people who dislike threads: don't read them.

For example, I don't like threads about .conkyrc scripts.... so I don't read it. And all is right in the world.

sim-value
June 24th, 2009, 10:09 PM
It's Community Cafe; half the point is to allow people to discuss such topics. Fortunately not reading an X vs. Y thread is as simple as not clicking on it, or clicking the Back button if you have found yourself in one by mistake.
Yes but i like reading 40+ Page threads and this usually are the X vs. Y threads...

Yes censorship is bad but we are talking about murdering discussions ...

EDIT: Thinking about it is a Stupid idea we might aswell ban all Arch users ...

sisco311
June 24th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Hi !

Are you like me getting tired and Sick of "Windows Vs. Linux" "Opera Vs. Firefox" "OSX Vs. Linux" "My mom Vs. Your Granma" threads ?

+1

Maybe im also just physically tired and shouldnt post at 11 PM

+1

Are you guys even real ?

/me

:confused:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

OP:
i share your feelings.

but, is this thread constructive in any way?

hyperdude111
June 24th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Edit: Thinking about it is a stupid idea we might aswell ban all arch users ...

+1

HappyFeet
June 24th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Pfft, $X is obviously way better than $Y. And to prove it, here's a bunch of probably made-up anecdotal evidence which I am going to use to make enormous sweeping generalisations about something, because the universe actually resolves around me. The problems I had with $Y will be shared with every single person on planet earth, and maybe even by those beyond planet earth too.

Best response I've heard in a while. =D> =D> =D> =D>

Marlonsm
June 24th, 2009, 10:38 PM
"VS threads vs. non-VS threads?"

JK, I don't mind having those threads, they are part of pretty much any forum out there, if you don't like them, just ignore.

Tipped OuT
June 24th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Well sometimes people just want to know, they're curious what peoples opinions are. Not all are wise to use the search function. I just think they should make stickies for those kind of threads where people can post in them, like "Windows Vs Linux" and "Mac Vs Windows", instead of having the same threads be re-made over and over again.

HappyFeet
June 24th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Maybe there should be a VS. subforum.