PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new install and new to ubuntu

solarys
June 24th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I just installed ubuntu on a pc that currently has Vista on it. The install appeared to be successful. When I login to ubuntu, I get a desktop with no icons. The system does not appear to me hung. I can right click on the desktop and select options off of the menu. What am I doing wrong here? Any/all suggestions are welcomed!!

solarys

Therion
June 24th, 2009, 09:13 PM
As I recall a default desktop in Ubuntu IS clear of any icons. That's not indicative of a problem...

You can find your applications and utiliites and such under the menus (Applications - Places - System) on the top Gnome panel and PUT icons on your desktop if you'd like to though (drag and drop).

Does that help, or am I not understanding the problem?

solarys
June 24th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks for yoyr response. There is nothing on my desktop to click on. It just has an orange wallpaper.

scrooge_74
June 24th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Cheer up, welcome to Ubuntu and Linux in general.

Don't worry you can put icons in there if you want, you should have a bar on top that has the Ubuntu logo and says applications Places and System

solarys
June 24th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Cheer up, welcome to Ubuntu and Linux in general.

Don't worry you can put icons in there if you want, you should have a bar on top that has the Ubuntu logo and says applications Places and System
There is nothing on the screen to click on, wallpaper only. No logo, no nothing.

scrooge_74
June 24th, 2009, 10:31 PM
press ALT + F2 to get a command prompt style window, then there is a list below find the terminal and open a console window.

Maybe some parts of gnome did not load properly, or log out and log back in

solarys
June 24th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I was able to bring up terminal window. Yet, I still can not see icons. What should I do next?

scrooge_74
June 25th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Well at least you know the system is not hanged :D

Check here (http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/GNOME.html)

I think you can type gnome-session-properties

If you do a ps -ax you will see a list of apps running, probably the gnome-panels or some others did not load

jlc0204
June 25th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I'm new and need help as well. This seems to be very frustrating for something that is supposed to be better than Windows!
I have installed the latest version of Ubuntu, via Wubi on my Dell Deminsion 4500 (I know I'm out of date).
I am able to choose Ubuntu to load the OS, but after I log in I'm done. There are no icons (which I've read that the screen starts off blank), but there is nothing. The computer appears to be done running and I've left the screen alone for several minutes. I don't get any type of menu if I right click, either.
Please help. I hate to do an unistall before I am even able to give it a try. My wife is already going to be upset that I've made changes to her routine on the computer/ :(

scrooge_74
June 25th, 2009, 03:19 AM
The best I can say is that wubi is not supported and I read somewhere is not actually the best choice. I rather do the old fashion way (old like 2 years now): use a live CD and install it.

I'm not well verse in the problems you have, but it seems some parts of Gnome are not not running. Try CTRL+ALT+BackSpace and try to log in again, maybe it will restart all those services that are not running at present

jlc0204
June 25th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Previously I restarted 4 or 5 times with the same results. I had to hold the power button down to get the PC to shut off so I could restart. There was just nothing I could do once I logged on. It appeared my login and password were accepted.

scrooge_74
June 25th, 2009, 03:51 AM
How did you installed Ubuntu in the first place? Is really odd you are having this kind of problems.

hope someone more savy comes along soon yo help you out

solarys
June 25th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Is there a log file that records the bootup process? If so, where is it located? Any/all suggestions are welcomed.

scrooge_74
June 25th, 2009, 12:11 PM
/var/log/

there you have dmesg and syslog those files have the info

abn91c
June 25th, 2009, 12:30 PM
There is nothing on the screen to click on, wallpaper only. No logo, no nothing.
alt+f2 then type gnome-display-properties and change the screen resolution, see if that helps
this may help you also http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/GNOME.html

solarys
June 25th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Issue resolved! i re-installed Ubuntu all by itself. Initial install was a dual boot with MS Vista. I now have a a task bar at the top and bottom, where I can select options without a problem. Thanks for everyones help and input.