PDA

View Full Version : Is there any need of spreading linux?

praveesh
June 24th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Is there any need of spreading linux? That is : to make linux(distro) run on atleast 15% of desktop computers . If yes why? . If no why? . I think yes , because more and more hardware companies will make drivers for it . Also gaming companies may port their games to linux (distro)

RiceMonster
June 24th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I suppose there'd be more hardware support and maybe games, but other than that, no. Let people use whatever OS they want. I don't try to spead linux at all.

monsterstack
June 24th, 2009, 06:11 PM
For me, yes, if only for selfish reasons. I feel much more at home fixing a busted Linux box than I do a busted Windows box, and as the designated geek (not by intention), I get called upon to fix computers regularly. I notice that a lot of people have problems with things that aren't a problem on Linux (viruses, spyware, that sort of thing).

But if Linux was used by more people, we'd see hardware and peripheral manufacturers all of a sudden clamouring to support Linux. And then, would you believe it, people will have fewer problems with Linux to begin with, and I wouldn't be as busy fixing people's busted heaps of junk.

Daisuke_Aramaki
June 24th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Absolutely not necessary. As RiceMonster says, if people are absolutely happy with using another OS, its absolutely fine.

monsterstack
June 24th, 2009, 06:22 PM
If somebody could manage to make Linux have a viable presence in computer shops, I think users would come along on their own accord. As it is now, it's impossible to get a Linux-installed notebook or PC unless you already know what you're looking for. Have the machines in the shops, on the shelves, alongside the Windows machines. Linux usage figures will leap up overnight if major retailers actually did this. Windows owes its dominance almost entirely to being installed on 99% of all computers sold. Change that, and Linux will spread without any advocacy from users required.

praveesh
June 24th, 2009, 06:38 PM
If somebody could manage to make Linux have a viable presence in computer shops, I think users would come along on their own accord. As it is now, it's impossible to get a Linux-installed notebook or PC unless you already know what you're looking for. Have the machines in the shops, on the shelves, alongside the Windows machines. Linux usage figures will leap up overnight if major retailers actually did this. Windows owes its dominance almost entirely to being installed on 99% of all computers sold. Change that, and Linux will spread without any advocacy from users required.
That was not my question . My question is "do you care whether the market share of linux is 15% or 1%.

FormatSeize
June 24th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I'm a new user to Linux, and I really do like it. I have every intention on spreading it to whomever I can if they are willing to try it. I also think it should be spread so that more companies will make things for it, like drivers and games, among other things.
So far, I've installed it on my girlfriend's computer and she likes it too.

(she had just gotten her computer back after getting it repaired due to a virus)

monsterstack
June 24th, 2009, 06:40 PM
That was not my question . My question is "do you care whether the market share of linux is 15% or 1%.

Yeah, I know. I already explained in the previous comment. I just thought of something else (how more people might end up using Linux) but didn't want to edit my post cause by then somebody else had already replied.

LowSky
June 24th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I would be happy if PC's had choice for which OS they install when you buy them.

Vostrocity
June 24th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Honestly I don't think Linux needs any spreading. No matter how great Linux has become, it's still not close to reaching the ease of use levels of Windows and OS X. Linux is a nice little niche for more advanced users. The only way that Linux can become widespread without frustrating normal users is if OEMs preinstall it and provide an easy way to install apps, Android for example.

monsterstack
June 24th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Honestly I don't think Linux needs any spreading. No matter how great Linux has become, it's still not close to reaching the ease of use levels of Windows and OS X. Linux is a nice little niche for more advanced users. The only way that Linux can become widespread without frustrating normal users is if OEMs preinstall it and provide an easy way to install apps, Android for example.

You can't use package management as one of Linux's downsides. That's one of the things that Linux does better than anybody. Still, more OEMs stocking working Linux distributions and offering them as an option is probably the only thing that can dispel the "it's only for advanced users" meme.

praveesh
June 24th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I'm a new user to Linux, and I really do like it. I have every intention on spreading it to whomever I can if they are willing to try it. I also think it should be spread so that more companies will make things for it, like drivers and games, among other things.

(she had just gotten her computer back after getting it repaired due to a virus)

You should have a look at http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm.

praveesh
June 24th, 2009, 06:56 PM

You should have a look at http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm. The auther explains the difference between the thinking of new and old users

Screwdriver0815
June 24th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I think there is no need of spreading Linux.

Reasons:

1. Linux is a community grown system. This means: as long as there are people who are interested in developing and using it, as long Linux will exist. No matter how big or how tiny-small the marketshare is.

2. if there are not many games, then there is no market for that. Thats it. It has nothing to do with marketshare. If the game-companies could earn money with games for Linux, they were available. Certainly they can not.
Games and other software are no reason for increasing marketshare. If you only want to play games, stick with Windows!

3. hardware support: the same as in #2. If a hardware manufacturer decides not to care about Linux: so what? Lets buy hardware at a manufacturer who cares about Linux! Simple as that!
Personally I don't care if Canon or Lexmark has Linux-drivers for their crap - I buy Brother. I don't care about SIS graphic cards - I buy Nvidia or ATI. I don't care about cheap Laptops - I buy IBM/Lenovo.
If a manufacturer actually WANTS to support Linux then he does it. It has nothing to do with marketshare.

4. PC's and choice for OS: if you all look around to the small computer stores and ignore the big, expensive ones: you will find lots of computers without OS. You might even find a geek in the store who will be happy to install and configure your Linuxsystem.
The only part of the market which is difficult are Laptops. But with advanced searching you also can find Laptops without OS

Linux is much more easier than Windows. I for one can not set up an internet connection in Windows. In Linux I can. I can not configure a Bluetooth driver in Windows. In Linux I don't have to as it runs out of the box.
So Windows will never reach the ease of use level of Linux.
I don't even know how to install Windows!
I am not an advanced user. I just do E-mails, Internet, instant messaging, organising and listening music, organising and modifying my photos and printing. Thats it.
You should not say that Linux is difficult just because YOU can not use it without searching for solutions for your problems. And package management is the greatest idea since the invention of sliced bread. If you say that it is a downside of Linux, you have disqualified yourself for being a serious participant in this discussion
pre-install at the hardware manufacturers... why not, but it is not necessary. If a user wants to have Linux, he installs it. If not, he uses something else. refering to #1

jbruced
June 24th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Huh?

Have you ever used Ubuntu?

Linux package managers are so easy, and it keeps track of all dependencies etc. automatically. No weird registry entries and odd file placements in Ubuntu. I really don't understand how you could make that statement if you have actually used both OSs to any extent at all.

Totally confused :confused:

RiceMonster
June 24th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Linux is much more easier than Windows.

I think that depends on who you're talking to, and what they're trying to accomplish. I personally find them equal in ease of use, but I prefer Linux. If you don't have hardware that agrees with Linux, and you're very framiliar and comfortable only with the way Windows does things, Linux won't be a walk in the park.

I'm glad to hear Linux is working well for you though, and I agree with your points about why linux does not need to be spread. Very well said.

Vostrocity
June 24th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Well of course I use Ubuntu, or why would I be here? The thing with Linux is that most problems involve using the terminal to solve, which is no good for normal users. For example if you wanted to use Songbird in Windows you just click download and then run. In Linux you have to either look around for the deb or compile it yourself using the not-so-friendly terminal.

Screwdriver0815
June 24th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I think that depends on who you're talking to, and what they're trying to accomplish. I personally find them equal in ease of use, but I prefer Linux. If you don't have hardware that agrees with Linux, and you're very framiliar and comfortable only with the way Windows does things, Linux won't be a walk in the park.

I'm glad to hear Linux is working well for you though, and I agree with your points about why linux does not need to be spread. Very well said.
thats what I wanted to say: you can not generally say "Windows is easier" just because you are used to it and don't know what to do in Linux to achieve the same.
The same goes with OSX.
So I would say: Linux is different, not complicated or more difficult.

And because I always feel a little bit angry when people say "I can not do this and this so Linux is difficult" and they do not care if others feel the same. Its just them - so it MUST be the same for all, I posted my statement in the same style: "I don't know how to do this and this in Windows, so Windows never reaches the level of usability of Linux" ;) :D

Screwdriver0815
June 24th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Well of course I use Ubuntu, or why would I be here? The thing with Linux is that most problems involve using the terminal to solve, which is no good for normal users. For example if you wanted to use Songbird in Windows you just click download and then run. In Linux you have to either look around for the deb or compile it yourself using the not-so-friendly terminal.

hmm maybe I am blind or stupid or both... but I can not see the word "terminal" in this install-description... :o

1) download tar.gz from Songbird website
2) Manually move tar.gz to your home folder (it should be the folder with your name)
3) Extract the tar.gz by right clicking and choosing "extract here"
4) Right click your desktop and choose "Create Launcher"
5) Name it whatever you want, enter "Songbird/songbird" (no quotes) into the command field and choose the image you want to use to represent Songbird by clicking the image onto the left and navigating to the little bird image in home/Songbird file.

and in the package manager there are something around 20.000 app's. What animates people to search in the internet for programs? I just would use Rhythmbox, Banshee, Amarok... whatever instead of Songbird.

praveesh
June 24th, 2009, 07:42 PM

Didn't you use synaptic? If there is synaptic,why do you want to search for a deb or compile from source?

kk0sse54
June 24th, 2009, 07:55 PM

I didn't think songbird needed to be compiled :-k

Vostrocity
June 24th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Quote:
1) download tar.gz from Songbird website
2) Manually move tar.gz to your home folder (it should be the folder with your name)
3) Extract the tar.gz by right clicking and choosing "extract here"
4) Right click your desktop and choose "Create Launcher"
5) Name it whatever you want, enter "Songbird/songbird" (no quotes) into the command field and choose the image you want to use to represent Songbird by clicking the image onto the left and navigating to the little bird image in home/Songbird file.

Uh.. that's called "installing"? :o

.Maleficus.
June 24th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Absolutely not necessary. As RiceMonster says, if people are absolutely happy with using another OS, its absolutely fine.
This.

I like Linux just the way it is. I don't need games to run on Linux and my hardware all works fine so neither of those affect me.
The more Linux spreads the more people will want to get rid of the terminal and have everything done completely by GUI - another thing I'm very against. I don't care if Linux becomes more popular but I don't want it to change.

sim-value
June 24th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Yes because this will make people a little more PC literate ...

Im tired of "My PC was full of Viruses thats why i bought a new one"...

And YES Marketshare plays a role in Hardware/Software support...

Probably a Company will come Along though and make Linux so "evil" that the same Story Windows->Linux will Repeat with Linux->BSD :P

RiceMonster
June 24th, 2009, 08:16 PM
This.

I like Linux just the way it is. I don't need games to run on Linux and my hardware all works fine so neither of those affect me.
The more Linux spreads the more people will want to get rid of the terminal and have everything done completely by GUI - another thing I'm very against. I don't care if Linux becomes more popular but I don't want it to change.

Agreed. I'm fine with Linux becomming more popular, but if we have to change fundamental things about it I like (like multiple distros, command line, multiple wms/des), then I'd rather it stay as is. Actually, I don't really care either way, just as long as it keeps working well for me.

Screwdriver0815
June 24th, 2009, 08:17 PM
google is your friend. ;) This description is from the songbird homepage, FAQ-section, searched for "install Linux". You will find a thread for installing on Ubuntu. http://getsatisfaction.com/songbird/topics/how_do_i_install_songbird_in_ubuntu

As far as I read and understood it, this description works.

Try it and you will find out if it does. And if it does, I want you to never complain again about the "low level of usability in Linux" :D

sim-value
June 24th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Agreed. I'm fine with Linux becomming more popular, but if we have to change fundamental things about it I like (like multiple distros, command line, multiple wms/des), then I'd rather it stay as is. Actually, I don't really care either way, just as long as it keeps working well for me.

Wont happen ... I dont see how thousends of Developers and User would abandon There project and use one which is entitled Standard then ..

RiceMonster
June 24th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Wont happen ... I dont see how thousends of Developers and User would abandon There project and use one which is entitled Standard then ..

I know it won't happen. That wasn't the point.

FormatSeize
June 24th, 2009, 08:40 PM
You should have a look at http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm. The auther explains the difference between the thinking of new and old users

Wow. What an interesting read! Very informative.
Kind of really lets me know where I am.

kk0sse54
June 24th, 2009, 08:59 PM

That's not compiling from source :roll:

Lod
June 24th, 2009, 09:05 PM
The only thing that should be spreaded is the freedom of choice.

Vostrocity
June 24th, 2009, 11:50 PM
That's not compiling from source :roll:
No that's called extracting an archive and creating a desktop shortcut, not installing.