PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How can i expand my partition without losing any data?

stimpak
June 24th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Hi imba ubuntu community! here's my question:

I have a 1.5TB hdd witch i sliced it like this : partition.A = 1.2TBs, partition.B = 150GBs . Partition.A is my /home mount. :D

Now i want to ask if there's anyway to expand partition.a over partition.b without losing any data from A. So effectively the whole hdd to be only one partition, which it will be my /home

Is there any way to accomplish that ( e.g. with a live cd)???:confused:

PureLoneWolf
June 24th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Hi there

I would copy over any data from partition b to partition a - Then boot up from the live CD - Run the partition editor - Delete partition b and then resize partition a.

I went through a similar process yesterday and it worked without issue.

Hope that helps

presence1960
June 24th, 2009, 08:32 PM
back up always, which you should be doing on a regular basis anyway. There are no guarantees during any partitioning operation. Anything can happen at any moment! Although the partitioning process in Partition Editor (gparted)and the gparted Live CD works almost flawlessly most of the time don't take a chance with your data. Don't be the one on here playing the world's smallest violin singing the tune "I lost my data"

stimpak
June 25th, 2009, 12:23 AM
back up always, which you should be doing on a regular basis anyway. There are no guarantees during any partitioning operation. Anything can happen at any moment! Although the partitioning process in Partition Editor (gparted)and the gparted Live CD works almost flawlessly most of the time don't take a chance with your data. Don't be the one on here playing the world's smallest violin singing the tune "I lost my data"

I know, and if it was possible i would, but its hard to almost impossible to back up 600GB of data. Its not as simple anymore as writing them on a dvd or a blu-ray disk. Thankfully i had the sense of mounting the /(root) to another disk whatsoever

presence1960
June 25th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I know, and if it was possible i would, but its hard to almost impossible to back up 600GB of data. Its not as simple anymore as writing them on a dvd or a blu-ray disk. Thankfully i had the sense of mounting the /(root) to another disk whatsoever

I always make sure I have a back up medium at least as large as my data. I use rsync every weekend to do an incremental back up. I learned the hard way a long time ago when a hard disk died. I lost all my data. That was the only hard disk that ever died on me and it was the only non-Seagate HDD I have ever used.

Well at least you didn't lose your data, I know that would be painful.