PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] The attempt to mount a file system with type ext3 in SCSI3 (0,0,0), partition #1 (sda

melavious
June 24th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I was using windows xp until it crashed. A friend of mine recommended ubuntu as an alternative os because I have not been happy with xp. I installed ubuntu off the live cd he gave me and it ran fine for a day. Then I started to get bars across my screen every so often and had to restart my pc. Then one time it gave me the same message that xp had that I needed to insert a system disk, and now I can't reinstall ubuntu. It tells me that there is no os on the drive, and starts the installation until it gets to creating the ext3 file system in partion #1 and then when it reaches 5% I get an error message. I'm not sure why this is happening and am hoping that I can get some advice on what to do.

mk1w86
June 24th, 2009, 07:51 PM
It sounds like you could have a faulty hard drive or a bad connection between your hard drive and motherboard (I have known this to happen with sata drives).

There are many hard drive diagnostic tools out there. You could try Ultimate Boot CD which has a range of hard drive diagnostic tools some generic and some manufacture specific. I usually try IBM Drive Fitness test first which seems to work with most drives.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/