PDA

View Full Version : The Tiger-Resistant Laptop

Sporkman
June 24th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Very impressive...

http://www.forbes.com/2009/06/23/toughbook-tiger-elephant-technology-personal-test.html?feed=rss_technology

nowin4me
June 24th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Impressive yes. But I don't plan on getting attack by wild animals. But maybe some people do plan on getting attacked by wild animals. I'm sure they would be happy that they can finally catch up on there work in the hospital (yay!).

papenpj
June 24th, 2009, 05:34 PM
There have been times windows made me want to take my Dell out back and shoot it with a .22 I guess it good to know if you decide to get that extreme, one of those laptops would still run.

Therion
June 24th, 2009, 05:39 PM
GAWD I NEED ONE OF THESE!

I can't get from the parking lot to my office without being attacked by tigers!

Plural!!

Once I'm inside the building then, jeez, it's the Ninjas... Ninjas and their stupid "Circles of Death" (*rolls eye's*). Yeah, it gets old but the benefits package is awesome and besides, I'm fully vested.

<sigh>

billgoldberg
June 24th, 2009, 06:27 PM
What good will that impressive hardware do when Windows blue screens in the middle of an attack because the graphics driver crashed?

Therion
June 24th, 2009, 06:38 PM
What good will that impressive hardware do when Windows blue screens in the middle of an attack because the graphics driver crashed?
Well it'll... uh... Well... I...

See, the plan would be to then strategically redistribute pooled-assets, allocate and deploy appropriate resources and manpower with a progressive, actionable management team who would report directly our Center of Excellence so we don't wind up "boiling the ocean" (least efficient way to get a cup of salt, amiright???).

LowSky
June 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM
In what world would a tiger attack a laptop and not the walking meat stick of an idiot human who is looking for a wifi signal in the jungle?

just a thought I'm having

RiceMonster
June 24th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I hate it when tigers attack my laptop.

nowin4me
June 24th, 2009, 06:55 PM
In what world would a tiger attack a laptop and not the walking meat stick of an idiot human who is looking for a wifi signal in the jungle?

just a thought I'm having

If you ask the tiger nicely s/he might let you bowwow there wifi/internet connection. Then again maybe not.

mr-woof
June 24th, 2009, 07:15 PM
It's always a nightmare when our local elephant stands on my netbook :D

Therion
June 24th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I hate it when tigers attack my laptop.
Yeah? Well THEY hate having to bruteforce through your encrypted /Home partition, so let's call it a draw.

wayne_cat
June 24th, 2009, 07:25 PM
If you ask the tiger nicely s/he might let you bowwow there wifi/internet connection. Then again maybe not.

Have a closer look at the picture in the article .. The tiger is "chewing":

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

on the touchscreen ... does not bode well :(

RiceMonster
June 24th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Yeah? Well THEY hate having to bruteforce through your encrypted /Home partition, so let's call it a draw.

I don't know who those damn Tigers think they are, but I'm not going to let those jerks access my data. I'm buying this laptop to keep the tigers away.

MaxIBoy
June 24th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I like the idea that I would be able to drop my laptop on the floor, spill soda on it, etc, without destroying it.

But this could also help as a blunt weapon in the zombie apocalypse. It's heavy, you could do some serious damage with it.

Therion
June 24th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I decided to actually read the article just now... I wasn't too impressed until I came across this:
We used the Panasonic Toughbook to serve Doritos.
HOLY C--P!!! Read that again, let it SINK IN!!

And while they don't specifically SAY so in the article, I'm just betting they weren't talking about "Cool Ranch" flavor!!!!

But this could also help as a blunt weapon in the zombie apocalypse.
There's an app for that.

wayne_cat
June 24th, 2009, 07:48 PM
There's an app for that.

So I just need this notebook and an iPhone to solve my "tigers and zombies problem"?

RiceMonster
June 24th, 2009, 07:50 PM
There's an app for that.

yup

sudo apt-get install anti-zombie-kit

Therion
June 24th, 2009, 08:23 PM
yup

sudo apt-get install anti-zombie-kit
This will be included as part of the ubuntu-restricted-tigers-n-zombies-extras meta-package in Karmic if the devs can pull all the dependencies together in time for the app-freeze. Be sure to enable your Medibuntu repository!

News Flash!

American Tourister Luggage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ZeIoLz8FE) would like a word with you...