PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Random hang-ups in 9.04

skywatcher
June 24th, 2009, 01:37 PM
About four days ago I received my Ubuntu 9.04 CD in the mail, and decided that the time had come to say good-bye to Windows, once and for all. So, I wiped Windows off my laptop with a full 9.04 installation. Everything works like a dream, as did my previous dual-boot Intrepid installation, except for one little problem: sudden hang-ups for no apparent reason.

This has now happened three times already at random, and every time this happens, everything freezes and I have to switch off manually, which is a very unhealthy thing to do.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be?

wpshooter
June 24th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Did you have this freezing problem when you were running the Windows O/S ?

skywatcher
June 24th, 2009, 05:08 PM
No, this has never happened before. So far, due to the random nature of these occurrences, I have not been able to establish whether there is some pattern, or a combination of running applications when this happens.

wpshooter
June 24th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Did you check the integrity of your Ubuntu installation CD by running the verification function that is found on the initial Ubuntu boot screen menu ?

If you installed from the Live CD version of Ubuntu, try the ALTERNATE (text based) CD version instead.

jimv
June 24th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Please...there's nothing wrong with his CD. It's happened 3-4 times to me too since I upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04. It seems like it happens occasionally when running "apt-get upgrade" in the command line, but it also happened yesterday while installing Adobe Air.

Maybe it has something to do with high I/O, as it hasn't happened while normal usage.

skywatcher
June 24th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Ah! Jimv, I think you're onto something there. When I think about it, I seem to recall that on one occasion when a hangup occurred, I simultaneously had FileZilla and a download going while browsing in Firefox.

danielmf
June 26th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I have the same problem, just with intrepid. I don't think they are related to any app, since it even happened while installing it, with no other application open.
Hardy works fine, windows too. Karmic doesn't hang up either but has other problem that makes me think it is all related with my ati graphics card.

Do you have an Ati card by any chance?