PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Total Newbie

Tclynch
June 24th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Ok, so I'm giving Ubuntu a try. I downloaded 9 and burned the disc. Loaded it and allowed it t make it's own partition (btw, I am running Vista Home Premium, 320 gig HD, 3 gig ram, dual core) and so far, I am having these problems-

1) I allowed it to download some updates, but have been unable to install them due to not enough space on the disc. What???

2) I have noticed that I have problems with using Wifi. Basically, I have to be closer to my router to get wifi to work with Ubuntu...

3) Firefox- the "Back" button and the Bookmarks does not seem to work.

Any help for this newbi????

Snoober
June 24th, 2009, 01:22 PM
1) How much space did you allow for the Ubuntu partition?
2) Check out https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo
3) Try re-installing Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html).

ddrichardson
June 24th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Ok, so I'm giving Ubuntu a try. I downloaded 9 and burned the disc. Loaded it and allowed it t make it's own partition (btw, I am running Vista Home Premium, 320 gig HD, 3 gig ram, dual core) and so far, I am having these problems-

1) I allowed it to download some updates, but have been unable to install them due to not enough space on the disc. What???
Can you open a terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal) and post the output after typing
df
2) I have noticed that I have problems with using Wifi. Basically, I have to be closer to my router to get wifi to work with Ubuntu...Does this only happen with Ubuntu?

Tclynch
June 25th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I allowed Ubuntu to set up the partition. I don't remember seeing a screen asking me how big of a partition. Did I miss something or do I need t reinstall Ubuntu?
Yes, when I am using Vista, I have a longer range with my home wifi than with using Ubuntu.

Snoober
June 26th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Did you use Wubi to install Ubuntu or did you just install it via the live CD? During installation you would have encountered the partition setup. Try what ddrichardson suggested and post it here.

bwitherell
June 26th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Can you open a terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal) and post the output after typing
dfDoes this only happen with Ubuntu?

In order to see if you have enough space on your Ubuntu partition please open a terminal and run the df command as stated by ddrichardson. This will report back to you the size in blocks of your partitions, and the free space on each of your partitions.

To get the size of your partitions in a more human readable output ie: bytes, gigabytes, megabytes instead of blocks include the -h switch with the df command as demonstrated below.

df -h

for more info on the df command you can open a terminal and type:

man df

the man command shows a manual of a command. so the "man df" command above will show you a manual for the df command.

Hope this helps. Oh yes also please post the output of the "df -h" command.