PDA

View Full Version : Hello from another linux newbie

barnem1
January 20th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Hello everyone,

I just joined this forum recently, and thought I would introduce myself.

I have been playing with Linux now for about one year, and I am still very wet behind the ears. I tried an install of Debian Sarge (back when it was still 'testing', and it mostly worked, but I had a tough time getting some of my hardware (on-board sound and network card) to work.

I still have Windows XP installed on a separate partition, and use GRUB for a multiple OS boot.

I ended up trying Suse and finally Ubuntu (5.04) toward the middle of 2005. Ubuntu worked very well for me.

Well, January 2006 brought some hardware upgrades for the PC, including a new hard drive. I installed windows and my data on the new drive, and have claimed the old hard drive for Linux. My intention is to partition it into several small pieces, and load 5 or 6 distributions on them, just to learn about the differences and similarities. I currently have Ubuntu 5.10, and Debian Sarge (stable) loaded. My intention is to upgrade Sarge to Sid, and install Fedora Core, FreeBSD, and Slackware. I am told by a Linux veteran with whom I work that this will give me a broad education.

Well, that's it for now. I appreciate the availability of this forum, and look forward to communicating with you in the future.

lrmall01
January 20th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Why don't you try a source based distro as well? Gentoo or Arch, maybe. Just to give you another view at how it can be done.

fuscia
January 20th, 2006, 02:50 AM
you could try one of the little dinky ones too, like puppy or damn small linux.