PDA

View Full Version : Gnome 3.0..... what u think?

symon1980
June 24th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Hey peoples.... What do you guys think of the development of gnome 3...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcpndKUx4pc
vs Kde http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZISwoZEZZl0
Not trying to start no Kde vs gnome wars... because I love both... well, I prefer Kde because its futuristic Desktop environment and think its going to be the most Popular in the future, but I also like gnome because of its continued stability and no breakages in any apps or weirdness due to its incremental updates....

I love the way Kde 4.3 is turning out, and it works great, but i doubt it will be fully functional and complete until around 4.5, that been said.... I've been following gnome 3.0 development... and compared to Kde, it just doesn't seem like it is EVER going to go anywhere. I dunno... Im starting to think that gnome will Never improve the Graphical Interface... Kde seems to be developing for the Future, and gnome is maintaining the past. ugh... I hope gnome 3.0 can out do Kde, otherwise it will probably die. LOl! I love Ubuntu.... but I love Kde more.... and Kubuntu doesn't cut it... would be cooooool If Ubuntu gave more attention to Kde than it currently does and make it on Par with Ubuntu gnome. I want Kubuntu to give OpenSuse a run for its money! lol.... I dunno...
Probly pointless dribble here.... but its annoying me. lol. Ubuntu is the future.... but gnome 3 looks crap... and kde is getting so awesome....

in the meantime I dual boot Opensuse for kde, and ubuntu. :)

ahndoruuu
June 24th, 2009, 01:07 PM
This part of the forum is for support...For future reference, stuff like this should be in the Community Cafe, good sir.

And also if you prefer KDE, it can be easily installed in Ubuntu instead of Gnome.

aged hippy
June 24th, 2009, 01:41 PM
And also if you prefer KDE, it can be easily installed in Ubuntu instead of Gnome.
... or alongside it... :P ... which is what some of us do, and have a choice of desktops at log-in. :)

symon1980
June 24th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I know you can install kde alongside gnome... but its not a good idea, it messes things up. Done it lots of times, but my main topic was what people think about gnome 3. I was hoping for some constructive opinons on gnome 3 development and its future vs kde's development and future...........

I know it would be speculation... but I wanted to hear opinions, thats all.

symon1980
June 24th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Agreed. What the heck are they thinking :o

jimv
June 24th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Agreed. What the heck are they thinking :o

They're probably thinking that most people can turn it on/off if they do/don't want it.

SunnyRabbiera
June 24th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Actually KDE might be on full power by KDE 4.4, considering each KDE 4 release has been infinitely better then its predecessor, except KDE 4.0 itself of course.

sim-value
June 24th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I love the way Kde 4.3 is turning out, and it works great, but i doubt it will be fully functional and complete until around 4.5, that been said.... I've been following gnome 3.0 development... and compared to Kde, it just doesn't seem like it is EVER going to go anywhere. I dunno... Im starting to think that gnome will Never improve the Graphical Interface... Kde seems to be developing for the Future, and gnome is maintaining the past. ugh... I hope gnome 3.0 can out do Kde, otherwise it will probably die. LOl! I love Ubuntu.... but I love Kde more.... and Kubuntu doesn't cut it... would be cooooool If Ubuntu gave more attention to Kde than it currently does and make it on Par with Ubuntu gnome. I want Kubuntu to give OpenSuse a run for its money! lol.... I dunno...
Probly pointless dribble here.... but its annoying me. lol. Ubuntu is the future.... but gnome 3 looks crap... and kde is getting so awesome....

in the meantime I dual boot Opensuse for kde, and ubuntu. :)

They are not in a Hurry

And please note that MS (Mark Shuttleworth) spends millions on KDE ...

Hells_Dark
June 24th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I just wait to see what they can do.
Not a fan of gnome shell at this point.

joey-elijah
June 24th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I actually like gnome 3!

People are always resistant to change - KDE users hating KDE 4, users boycotting facebook everytime it changes it's layout etc

People need to realize that progress doesn't come from standing still.

If you don't like Gnome Shell - get involved and tell them why, suggest alternatives, mock them up in the gimp, etc

Gnome3 -needs- to move away from this 15 year old "desktop" metaphor we currently use - the way we use computers and what we use them for are different now and we should have a DE that reflects that. Gnome 3 or KDE 4 may not be the best representations of this, but they're steps along in the right direction and can be built on.

froggyswamp
June 24th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Focusing on fixing those tens and hundreds (little) usability problems Gnome is notable for - must be top priority, also more user friendly and sophisticated desktop (items) handling and enhanced drag-n-drop experience. Skipping these issues and focusing instead on "big programs" instead is not the optimal way to go.

The Ubuntu project "100 paper cuts" should have been started several years ago - I wrote about the need to fix the myriad of little usability bugs and more in a blog of mine and Canonical started doing just that. Nonetheless Canonical is not doing enough in this direction, i.e. they can't simply rely on usability bug reports, they need to do serious research themselves.