PDA

View Full Version : Pkg-Config Error

kaspar_silas
June 24th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Hi All,

Hopefully someone can do some translating for me. I am trying to install the Imlib3D library (for some c++ volumetric image processing).

So I downloaded the source from:
http://imlib3d.sourceforge.net/
and tried:

./configure

This failed finishing with:

configure: error: Package requirements (libxml++-2.6 >= 2.6.1) were not met.
Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively you may set the XML2_CFLAGS and XML2_LIBS environment variables
to avoid the need to call pkg-config. See the pkg-config man page for
more details.

When I look in synaptic I do in fact have libxml++-2.6.2 . So I guess as the error suggests it is some error with pkg-config's reply.

However I have no idea how to implement either suggested fix. Can someone tell me how to do set these flags or adjust the variable.

Thanks for any help

wojox
June 24th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal

Enter sudo apt-get install libxml++-2.6-dev

Then try install again.

kaspar_silas
June 24th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks alot that was it. I was totally thrown of the scent by the error message referring to libxml++-2.6 not libxml++2.6-dev.

Just in case someone else encounters the same problem the above line has a slight typo (extra "-") it should be

sudo apt-get install libxml++2.6-dev

Thanks again

kaspar_silas
June 24th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Spoke far too soon. Moving onto "make" gave the error:

TaskProgressManager.cpp: In member function 'void TaskProgressManager::EndTask(const TaskInProgress*)':
TaskProgressManager.cpp:107: error: cast from 'const TaskInProgress*' to 'uint' loses precision
make[3]: *** [TaskProgressManager.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `imlib3d-0.9.2/ImLib3D'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `imlib3d-0.9.2/ImLib3D'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `imlib3d-0.9.2'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Why is this an error? Surely a losing precision note should be a warning. I commented out the line in the .cpp as it was only a printf line. This worked but I just ran into the same problem in the next file. A quick search showed that there were loads of these casts.

Is there a flag for g++ to ignore these precision losses. Or does anyone know a better way around this. Come to think of it has anyone actually compiled imlib3d on an ubuntu (64b) machine before.