PDA

View Full Version : Issue with desktop?

Addikit
June 24th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I'm having a strange problem where I can only see my desktop items when I go to a file browser and then go to desktop, but my desktop itself shows no icons and if I right-click nothing happens..

I don't know if that really explains it or not =/

Closed_Port
June 24th, 2009, 09:51 AM
What you describe is the intended behavior of netbook remix as the desktop is used for other things, so you wouldn't be able to use the icons anyway. Are you really using netbook remix?

Anyway, you can tell nautilus to draw the desktop and you should have icons then:
Open gconf-editor (Alt-F2 and enter gconf-editor)
Open apps-> nautlius-> preferences and check show_desktop

Log out and in again and you should see the files on your desktop.

Addikit
June 24th, 2009, 10:08 AM
What you describe is the intended behavior of netbook remix as the desktop is used for other things, so you wouldn't be able to use the icons anyway. Are you really using netbook remix?

Anyway, you can tell nautilus to draw the desktop and you should have icons then:
Open gconf-editor (Alt-F2 and enter gconf-editor)
Open apps-> nautlius-> preferences and check show_desktop

Log out and in again and you should see the files on your desktop.

Should I not use UNR? imo, the little "theme" or whatever was annoying and I just went to the regular interface. Would I notice a huge performance decrease if I went to the desktop version?

Closed_Port
June 24th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Should I not use UNR?

No, it's fine to use UNR. I didn't want to imply that using UNR is problematic, I just wanted to find out if you are really using UNR.

imo, the little "theme" or whatever was annoying and I just went to the regular screen. Would I notice a huge performance decrease if I went to the desktop version?
No, you shouldn't find any performance decrease if you don't use UNR.

Addikit
June 24th, 2009, 10:20 AM
No, it's fine to use UNR. I didn't want to imply that using UNR is problematic, I just wanted to find out if you are really using UNR.

No, you shouldn't find any performance decrease if you don't use UNR.

Haha, alright.

So I did the steps you suggested, and well, somehow or another I already had a checkmark in Show Desktop =/ but I still don't have icons on my desktop and I can't right click my desktop.

I might just install the desktop version or reinstall UNR, I don't really need anything advanced for my netbook, I don't use more than Pidgin and Firefox really, occasionally OpenOffice

Addikit
June 24th, 2009, 10:20 AM
oh, and I had just done a powercycle

Closed_Port
June 24th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Hm, I think for some reason nautilus isn't started. If you open nautilus, do icons appear on your desktop?

Anyway, probably the easiest way to switch to a normal desktop and to get your icons is to use the switch desktop mode tool that you should find under preferences.

Addikit
June 24th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I'll give that a try tomorrow, I'm in bed right now (using phone) thanks for the advice =)