PDA

View Full Version : Football is ruined!

billgoldberg
June 24th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Football has been ruined, at least the Confederations Cup has so far, by the most annoying thing ever to be invented.

The horror is known as: the Vuvuzela (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRd5bK1Us6Y).

I have watched exactly 5 minutes of Confederations Cup and refuse to watch another second because of that thing.

I just know they are going to be using it at the World Cup.

And I'll be p*ssed off, because it will ruin every match.

Some company is shipping them into Europe now, but I don't think it will work here.

I demand a ban for this piece of sh*t, dammit!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/jun/20/confederations-cup-world-cup-vuvuzela

Closed_Port
June 24th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Oh, come on. They have a long tradition in South African football and I actually quite like them. It's something typical and special and quite frankly, wouldn't it be boring if football fans behaved the same way the world over?

nothingspecial
June 24th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Football was ruined a long time ago. About the time sattelite television companies became involved.

billgoldberg
June 24th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Oh, come on. They have a long tradition in South African football and I actually quite like them. It's something typical and special and quite frankly, wouldn't it be boring if football fans behaved the same way the world over?

Are you serious?

It's 90+ minutes of constant super loud buzzing.

Talk about boring and annoying. There is no atmosphere in those stadiums.

I hardly hear the commentators and get a headache from all that noise.

Kingsley
June 24th, 2009, 09:03 AM
The sound doesn't bother me the least bit. Meh.

Closed_Port
June 24th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Are you serious?

It's 90+ minutes of constant super loud buzzing.

Talk about boring and annoying. There is no atmosphere in those stadiums.

Yes, I'm serious. I find it's a different atmosphere than what we are used to. But it's a very nice atmosphere. And I frankly like people celebrating loudly the whole game better than people hauling insults on the opponent team.

I hardly hear the commentators and get a headache from all that noise.
Well, at least here in Germany, I consider not hearing the commentators an added bonus. :D

billgoldberg
June 24th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Yes, I'm serious. I find it's a different atmosphere than what we are used to. But it's a very nice atmosphere. And I frankly like people celebrating loudly the whole game better than people hauling insults on the opponent team.

Well, at least here in Germany, I consider not hearing the commentators an added bonus. :D

We'll talk again when the World Cup starts.

Viva
June 24th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I hate the horns, but they're still better than hearing Le Tissier or Alan ******* Shearer's commentary.

oobuntoo
June 24th, 2009, 11:33 AM
That thing is VERY annoying indeed. I don't mind hearing it every now and then, but having to cope with it for ALL 90+ minutes is just ridiculous. I believe this thing had been used by the Bush administration on Gitmo prisoners after waterboarding failed to yield results. I hope FIFA ban it for the World Cup!

Sealbhach
June 24th, 2009, 11:40 AM
For a long time soccer fans have had drums, air horns, all kinds of noisy things.

billgoldberg
June 24th, 2009, 12:07 PM
For a long time soccer fans have had drums, air horns, all kinds of noisy things.

This thing is a multitude of leagues above that.

Think of it as a 90 minutes raping of the eardrums.

Bölvağur
June 24th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I thought Greece ruined football.

243kof
June 24th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Hey, we don't deserve that! Football is boring anyway :P And that constant buzz thing is unbearable.

monsterstack
June 24th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I prefer all of the songs. Some of the songs I've heard at Portsmouth are utterly hilarious and so very rude.

LowSky
June 24th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I thought Greece ruined football.

Nope it was the USA, when it took the name Football and applied it to is Americanized form of Rugby... forever confusing any American when the term is mentioned.. like right now when I clicked on this link.

I thought this was going to be news of Brett Favre coming back out of retirement, so in a way I was disappointed Twice

Jesus_Valdez
June 24th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Football has been ruined, at least the Confederations Cup has so far, by the most annoying thing ever to be invented.

The horror is known as: the Vuvuzela (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRd5bK1Us6Y).

I have watched exactly 5 minutes of Confederations Cup and refuse to watch another second because of that thing.

I just know they are going to be using it at the World Cup.

And I'll be p*ssed off, because it will ruin every match.

Some company is shipping them into Europe now, but I don't think it will work here.

I demand a ban for this piece of sh*t, dammit!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/jun/20/confederations-cup-world-cup-vuvuzela
Welcome to Mexican Football.

Here we have things like that on the stadiums and, indeed, it is one of the most annoying things on the world.

Thw worst part is when the game is over and you have to still listen to those things on your way home because some child just have to much air on their lungs.

forrestcupp
June 24th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Nope it was the USA, when it took the name Football and applied it to is Americanized form of Rugby... forever confusing any American when the term is mentioned.. like right now when I clicked on this link.

I thought this was going to be news of Brett Favre coming back out of retirement, so in a way I was disappointed Twice

I was relieved. I thought he was talking about real football, not that antiquated version. :)

MikeTheC
June 24th, 2009, 03:23 PM
*reads through thread*

*oh, they mean soccer overseas*

*n/m*

3rdalbum
June 24th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Oh, I had no idea that's what those things were called. We've always had them at football games in Perth; after a couple of matches you don't even notice them anymore.

They add to the atmosphere - whenever I watch the English Premier League it always feels like there's something missing from the crowd noise. You only notice them when they're no longer there.

And why is FIFA debating a ban on them now, when we've had them here for 10 years?

Therion
June 24th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I'm no huge fan of soccer/football but wow... I'm annoyed as hell now just having watched that video.

Having done so however, I can't eeeeeeven imagine sitting through a live game with that going on. Which brings me back to my first statement and probably explains it in part at least: People being stupid... They can ruin just about anything.

conundrumx
June 24th, 2009, 04:02 PM

That's exactly what I thought. Someone needs to break that man's legs.

MikeTheC
June 24th, 2009, 04:17 PM
*notes that the only sport he's ever found the vaguest bit interesting and entertaining is Australian Rules Football*

blackened
June 24th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I'm no huge fan of soccer/football but wow... I'm annoyed as hell now just having watched that video.

Having done so however, I can't eeeeeeven imagine sitting through a live game with that going on. Which brings me back to my first statement and probably explains it in part at least: People being stupid... They can ruin just about anything.

I've seen many televised games with what I assume to be Vuvuzela being played (having watched the OP linked video) and after the first few minutes I had tuned it out entirely. This doesn't mean that being present in the stadium with thousands of them wouldn't drive me to violence.

*reads through thread*

*oh, they mean soccer overseas*

*n/m*

*notes that the only sport he's ever found the vaguest bit interesting and entertaining is Australian Rules Football*

Yes of course because America and Australia have games that they call football I can see where your feigned confusion would stem from. Even though the other 6 billion people on the planet (many of them children) have no problem keeping the names straight. Or were you trolling?

This thing is a multitude of leagues above that.

Think of it as a 90 minutes raping of the eardrums.

I was under the impression that Kenny G played the soprano saxophone.

Therion
June 24th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I was under the impression that Kenny G played the soprano saxophone.
Bonus Point!

Closed_Port
June 24th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Yes of course because America and Australia have games that they call football I can see where your feigned confusion would stem from. Even though the other 6 billion people on the planet (many of them children) have no problem keeping the names straight. Or were you trolling?

Calm down. They were joking and having fun.

But while we are discussing the US and football/soccer: The US plays in the semifinals today. And while I think Spain will win, I also think that the US played a great tournament so far.

MikeTheC
June 24th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I'm trolling, but not in any serious way...

Here's the thing. The U.S. can have some number of teams in soccer, and we could even win, and basically most of the U.S. would never even realize it.

No disrespect intended, but soccer has just never ever caught on in the U.S. If it isn't Baseball, Football or Basketball (and hockey in some areas of the U.S.) it really just doesn't get much notice.

Well, OK, golf as well and tennis a bit...

blackened
June 24th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I'm trolling, but not in any serious way...

Here's the thing. The U.S. can have some number of teams in soccer, and we could even win, and basically most of the U.S. would never even realize it.

No disrespect intended, but soccer has just never ever caught on in the U.S. If it isn't Baseball, Football or Basketball (and hockey in some areas of the U.S.) it really just doesn't get much notice.

Well, OK, golf as well and tennis a bit...

You're right of course, apologies for overreacting to the light-hearted trolling.

The funny thing about US soccer is that it is pushed so very heavily on children (sometimes as far as highschool level), but is virtually invisible in adult sporting. I wonder what sort of cultural/social factors are at play. Hadn't spent much time thinking on it honestly.

davisouzarj
June 24th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Well, I am Brazilian, we here are born with football in the blood, so I think I am enabled to give my opinion here.

In Brazil we also have "vuvuzelas's like" horns, they use it on stadiums, and its noise is really very annoying, but they do not use it ALL the time, as it seens they do in South Africa.

Here they also have drums and play samba all the time, and it is also part of our culture. Nobody even think to ask "hey, do not play that drum!", because this would be ridiculous.

The same way, I believe that prohibit the vuvuzela would be ofensive to SA's culture. So maybe FIFA could recommend to the World Cup Organization that they try to educate the fans just to use it when their team enter the field, and when they score.

Anyway, at least here, the sound of the vuvuzela in TV transmission is reduced, being the sound of the speaker the main one to be heard.

Talking about USA soccer, yes they are evolving, but it takes a long time to become to produce real aces. We saw this here with the voleyball, since the 70's, and it took about 30 years so we could have the best voleyball in the world.

[]'s

sim-value
June 24th, 2009, 08:16 PM
+1 here in Austria ..

Are you talking about Soccer of Football ?

Viva
June 25th, 2009, 06:04 AM
It is not necessaily a bad thing that US are not a footballing power.

MikeTheC
June 25th, 2009, 06:21 AM
The funny thing about US soccer is that it is pushed so very heavily on children
Oh yes it is, indeed. I remember when I was in middle school and they were trying to get us into it. One of the things they tried to get us to do was bounce the balls off of our heads.

I took one look at that, figured that can't be too healthy, and pretty much told them "no way".

As I was never interested in sports and generally waaaaaaaaay behind everyone else when it came to doing anything athletic or physical (in that sense), I didn't even make it through the training, so I never made the try-outs and then didn't have to play in any of those games the school held. Thank goodness.

Hated On Mostly
June 25th, 2009, 10:59 AM
The only reason the USA is not the best in football is because its best athletes go into other sports like football, basketball, and baseball. If US athletics focused on football, USA would dominate FIFA no question.

The USA has the best athletes and for now are able to spend more money when it comes to sports and banned performance enhancing substances (and ways to hide them). If that machine was directed towards football the rest of the world would have little chance of winning.

Look at boxing now. USA doesn't care about it so finally people other than Americans can be heavyweight champions. Heavyweight champions from Uzbekistan, Ukraine, and Russia?

:lolflag:

Pathetic. Only because Americans don't care about boxing anymore and they have never cared about football.

Basically, USA football has the USA's worst athletes and even then they can still beat the best teams.

US celebrates huge Confed Cup victory over Spain

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090625/sp_wl_afp/fblwc2010confedespusa

billgoldberg
June 25th, 2009, 11:18 AM
The only reason the USA is not the best in football is because its best athletes go into other sports like football, basketball, and baseball. If US athletics focused on football, USA would dominate FIFA no question.

The USA has the best athletes and for now are able to spend more money when it comes to sports and banned performance enhancing substances (and ways to hide them). If that machine was directed towards football the rest of the world would have little chance of winning.

Look at boxing now. USA doesn't care about it so finally people other than Americans can be heavyweight champions. Heavyweight champions from Uzbekistan, Ukraine, and Russia?

:lolflag:

Pathetic. Only because Americans don't care about boxing anymore and they have never cared about football.

Basically, USA football has the USA's worst athletes and even then they can still beat the best teams.

Yes because the US is the only country with multiple sporting disciplines.

Oh and this thread has gone way off topic btw.