PDA

View Full Version : update-alternatives for java.

lvgandhi
January 20th, 2006, 01:16 AM
I had two options for java in update-alternatives --config java. I wanted to add sun jdk path unzipped in /usr/local. I did
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/local/jdk1.5.0_06/bin/java 3
of course in single line. After that I wanted to do update-alternatives --config java. even then I did not get the installed alternative. What am I doing wrong?

pertti
January 20th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I had two options for java in update-alternatives --config java. I wanted to add sun jdk path unzipped in /usr/local. I did
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/local/jdk1.5.0_06/bin/java 3
of course in single line. After that I wanted to do update-alternatives --config java. even then I did not get the installed alternative. What am I doing wrong?

I didn't install Java that way, so I don't know what's wrong with that. I installed Java following these instructions (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats?action=show&redirect=AddingJavaSupport#head-e2ebd70ede0e3eb2117ffbd618d2295dd1540dca) from the Ubuntu Wiki. In short, you make a .deb package out of Sun's .bin Java installer, install it with dpkg, and the select it using update-alternatives --config java (no need for --install). Plus, you can uninstall it later using dpkg -r.