PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to animate background?

Tourniquette
June 24th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Hey guys, complete noob to any sort of unix system outside of Mac OSX. Just got done with installing a triple boot system on my macbook pro, activated compiz 'n such...now I want to animate the background. I heard there was a program to do this called xwinwrap, and I found an updated version called Shantz XWinWrap here: http://tech.shantanugoel.com/projects/linux/shantz-xwinwrap .
Just wondering how to use the program, or even install it, as I have absolutely no experience doing this sort of thing. Also, could you make tell me how to specify what movie/screensaver to use through commands? My experience with command lines is with DOS, not really so much UNIX. Thanks!

cariboo
June 24th, 2009, 05:05 AM
There are .deb files inside the zip archive. Just double-click the file you downloaded, and extract it to where you can find it. Once the file is extracted, just open the folder and double-click either i386 or x86_64 depending on what version of Ubuntu you are running. Next double click the .deb file, and gdebi will install it for you.

Tourniquette
June 24th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Thanks. Did that, but I can't find the programs location if it has a graphical one, nor do I understand how to use it. If I could find it, I could probably find a way to use it...Linux seems to have the most published and helpful tips out of all the OSs. I do get the concept of somehow using the terminal to replace the current static wallpaper with a dynamic one from a movie file or a screensaver file, and I've got the screensaver (though it's in .lha, no idea what that is yet). Any more help would be greatly appreciated:D.

sloggerkhan
June 24th, 2009, 06:12 AM
anybody know an up to date way to work this with the latest electric sheep? I keep getting a flash and crash with electric sheep and trying to wallpaper it.