PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04.1 LTS desktop manual partition

healee
June 24th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I would like to control how big the partition to be used for ubuntu. I want to spare some space for future use. I have tried manual way. Having set up swap and ext3, when clicked on "forward" it said something like no root partition had been created. However, I couldn't find an option of "root" available when creating a partition. Could someone tell me how to overcome it?

When I chose to use the largest continuous free space it always used my empty partitions as well. I created some partitions and set "do not use this partition" and left the free space of the size I would like to be used by ubuntu. However it used up all "empty" space, free space as well as empty partitions. That's not right.

raymondh
June 24th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I would like to control how big the partition to be used for ubuntu. I want to spare some space for future use. I have tried manual way. Having set up swap and ext3, when clicked on "forward" it said something like no root partition had been created. However, I couldn't find an option of "root" available when creating a partition. Could someone tell me how to overcome it?

Hello Healee,

When you set-up the EXT3, did you choose or set '/' as well (also known as root)?

Can you post a screenshot of gparted? Using the liveCD, access partition editor (gparted, as you know by now). Take a screenshot (applications > accessories) and kindly post back what gparted outputs.

Thanks.

healee
June 24th, 2009, 05:26 AM
I ran the live CD and chose the install option. I repeatedly did the trial and error trying all sorts of permutation hoping to achieve what I wished to no avail. I didn't run any disk partition program separately. I tried to find something to run on the terminal but I didn't manage to do it.

To what I could remember there were pre-set options for me to choose when I created a partition. Nnowhere could I find to edit the type of partition I created such as setting it as root as well. It take me very long time to get to the partition creation during the installation process probably because I have 256M memory only, is there any way I can get the partition ready using the live CD before installation. What program I can run on gui or shell/terminal to create partition? I am not too sure how to access the partition editor using the live CD.

merlinus
June 24th, 2009, 05:43 AM
WIth 256M RAM I suggest xubuntu, which uses far less system resources. With so little memory, ubuntu will run very slowly.

You will also have a better experience using the text-based alternate install cd.

Sef
June 24th, 2009, 05:54 AM
WIth 256M RAM I suggest xubuntu, which uses far less system resources. With so little memory, ubuntu will run very slowly.

or upgrade your ram to 512 mb or more.

You will also have a better experience using the text-based alternate install cd.

You need 384 mb ram to use the Live CD; the alternate cd requires 128 mb ram, if memory serves me right.

raymondh
June 24th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I ran the live CD and chose the install option. I repeatedly did the trial and error trying all sorts of permutation hoping to achieve what I wished to no avail. I didn't run any disk partition program separately. I tried to find something to run on the terminal but I didn't manage to do it.

To what I could remember there were pre-set options for me to choose when I created a partition. Nnowhere could I find to edit the type of partition I created such as setting it as root as well. It take me very long time to get to the partition creation during the installation process probably because I have 256M memory only, is there any way I can get the partition ready using the live CD before installation. What program I can run on gui or shell/terminal to create partition? I am not too sure how to access the partition editor using the live CD.

Hello Healee,

From the release notes for 8.04 ...

The minimum memory requirement for Ubuntu 8.04 is 384MB of memory for desktop CDs, and 256MB for other installation methods. (Note that some of your system's memory may be unavailable due to being used for the graphics card.)

Here is the link for your reference

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/804

You may want to consider using the alternate or minimal install. It is text based, smaller and hence will use less resources.

Some readings regarding those

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

Other otions are to try xubuntu or a lightweight distro

Gparted can be accessed using the liveCD (system > administration > partition editor).

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=282018&highlight=separate+%2Fdata+partition
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

Good luck ... let us know what you decide and we go from there :)

healee
June 25th, 2009, 12:18 AM
With the live CD I've got to the GParted and have attached a screenshot. I guessed the installation process would be using the same application for disk partitioning.

I have tried the application with the live CD. However, it didn't allow me to set the EXT3 as root. Could you please elaborate. This application does not seem to be user-friendly.

merlinus
June 25th, 2009, 12:30 AM
sdb9 is the only one with enough space to use as /. If you right-click on it (or select edit partition), then you should see the mountpoint. It may be / or /root. Same thing.

Also, I wonder if you would be better off combining some of those small partitions into one larger one.

Michael Dooley
June 25th, 2009, 12:34 AM
healee:

I looked at your attachment and I think I see your problem.

See the keys (icon) besides both the entire extended partition and (more importantly) beside the swap partition? If you set the swap partition to "swap-off" (from swap on), the keys icon will vanish and it will enable you to do as you wish with the entire extended partition using GParted.

Click on the swap partition and select properties.

Good luck healee..