PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Display Issues

HIM_Tattoos
June 24th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Hey Guys,

I just upgraded to 9.04, I then hooked it up to my television via the S-Video out, and used my display options to resize the second screen to proper size, leaving my laptop monitor at the same size res. and what not.

Shortly after I unhooked, locked my screen, and shut the lid for the night. When I opened the lid and went to unlock the screen, I noticed that there were two black bars on each side of the screen. Now no matter what I do I cannot get these bars to go away, I've spent a good amount of time searching, and cannot find anything to fix it.

Please help, happy to provide any needed info.

HIM_Tattoos
June 25th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Bump!

Please help!

Shibblet
June 25th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Hey Guys,

I just upgraded to 9.04, I then hooked it up to my television via the S-Video out, and used my display options to resize the second screen to proper size, leaving my laptop monitor at the same size res. and what not.

Shortly after I unhooked, locked my screen, and shut the lid for the night. When I opened the lid and went to unlock the screen, I noticed that there were two black bars on each side of the screen. Now no matter what I do I cannot get these bars to go away, I've spent a good amount of time searching, and cannot find anything to fix it.

Please help, happy to provide any needed info.

S-Video outs on a computer are problematic. What you see on your television will look blurry and be in a very low resolution. It will also be centered in the middle of the TV with bars on the side and usually just the bottom as well.

If I had a nickel for every S-Video from PC problem there was, I'd give you half of my earnings and we could retire.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't get there from here.

HIM_Tattoos
June 27th, 2009, 01:29 AM
S-Video outs on a computer are problematic. What you see on your television will look blurry and be in a very low resolution. It will also be centered in the middle of the TV with bars on the side and usually just the bottom as well.

If I had a nickel for every S-Video from PC problem there was, I'd give you half of my earnings and we could retire.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't get there from here.

It's all good man, I just updated today and it works fine, yeah, I dunno, but I'm happy. :)

keithld
June 27th, 2009, 02:53 AM
I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 and I got a new 22" LCD HDTV (16:9) and decided to hook it up to my PC via DVI / HDMI... My Monitor is a 20" (16:10) LCD...

All was cool then I decided I'd unhook the TV and just run my 20" Monitor... Oops now every once in a while Ubuntu thinks I'm still using my TV and the 20" Monitor switches back to 16:9 and the monitor scrolls left/right - up/down so I have to go to preferences > screen resolution and manually change it back every time it does it...

There is one thing I have noticed with Ubuntu, at least in my case is: Everytime there are updates and I do install all of them they seem mess up one thing or another and it takes a few days for Ubuntu to straighten itself out... Which means I quit messing with things and trying to fix it until I knew it wasn't going to fix itself...

There have been atleast 3-updates in the last couple of days and now Firefox is doing it's "I Want To Load in Full Screen Everytime", just like it has a couple of times in the past...

Sooo I just leave it alone and hit F11 for a temp fix and wait a day or so to see if Ubuntu fixes itself... If it doesn't fix itself I open a terminal and run: firefox -safe-mode and surf for a bit and resize the window the way it should be, then exit FF and shut down Ubuntu then start up again and it's usually fixed until the next time...

It seems there's always some "Querk" with Ubuntu but it does get fixed in a short period of time... Usually.... :)