PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] top edge panel misplaced to right edge

chonacky
June 23rd, 2009, 06:48 PM
I have a problem with the (horizontal) "top edge" panel on my desktop. It has suddenly and without invitation appeared vertically on the right edge of my desktop. I have no idea what I did, if anything, to prompt this shift in location, and I have tried everything I can think of to get it back. No facility in the System/preferences seems to relate to this issue. I need help.

-- Norman Chonacky

overdrank
June 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
I have a problem with the (horizontal) "top edge" panel on my desktop. It has suddenly and without invitation appeared vertically on the right edge of my desktop. I have no idea what I did, if anything, to prompt this shift in location, and I have tried everything I can think of to get it back. No facility in the System/preferences seems to relate to this issue. I need help.

-- Norman Chonacky

Hi and can you right click on the panel and choose properties. Then the orientation select top?

aikiwolfie
June 23rd, 2009, 09:26 PM
A few people had this issue a while back. But I haven't seen it crop up in any recent version of Ubuntu.

If it's the same issue I had it will go something like this. You log into your PC and the top panel has move from the top to the bottom or side. When you try to reapply the correct properties they don't take and the panel moves again next time you log in or just refuses to stay at the top of the screen period.

I can't find the thread that had the solution to fixing this. But I think it was deleting the ".gnome2" directory from your own home directory. To safely try this out. Try renaming that folder if reapplying the settings doesn't work.

I also found this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=914586).

chonacky
June 23rd, 2009, 10:40 PM
Hi and can you right click on the panel and choose properties. Then the orientation select top?

Thank you overdrinker! :KS I have a one-button mouse on my MacBook Pro, so I had to find out how to do a right click before I tried to answer your question. Having done this, I found that the orientation property was "locked". On closer examination, I discovered how unlock it. I then moved the panel back to the top, and re-locked it. So sanity is now restored... well almost. My further question is, "How did this dislocation happen if the position property was locked to begin with?"

Even if you can't answer this further question, I want to thank you for your prompt and helpful response.

Cheers -- Norman

chonacky
June 24th, 2009, 09:13 PM
[quote=aikiwolfie;7505481]A few people had this issue a while back. But I haven't seen it crop up in any recent version of Ubuntu.

If it's the same issue I had it will go something like this. You log into your PC and the top panel has move from the top to the bottom or side. When you try to reapply the correct properties they don't take and the panel moves again next time you log in or just refuses to stay at the top of the screen period.

To aikiwolfie --

Thanks for the advice. In fact my problem was only temporary, not recurrent in the way that yours was. For the record, I was able to fix it once I was advised on how I could use "right click" on the panel to access its properties menu, and use that to readjust the panel position back to the top.

The thing that I don't understand, and that you may have some ideas about, is how this "dislocation" happened in the first place. When I finally access the properties menu it indicated that the location property was "locked" in the right edge position. In fact I had to first "unlock" it in order to shift the location back to the top edge. What's that all about?

The good news is that this dislocation has not recurred, even when I shut down the Ubuntu and cold-started it again.

aikiwolfie
June 25th, 2009, 05:08 PM
No problem :) Have fun with Ubuntu :D

Fangman
July 26th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I am having the same issue- I woke up and somehow my husband had managed to move the darn pannel. I have right clicked on a blank spot on the pannel but there is no unlock function. When I go into properties it says some of these properties are locked down... How do I unlock them! :confused:

I am running hardy 8.04 on a dell mini 12 (preinstalled)

chonacky
August 4th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Dear Fangman (Ms. Fangman?) --

You must have been looking at the thread and therefore must know that I solved this problem after I found out how to unlock this feature of the properties panel. Unfortunately, I did not document how I unlocked it and have now forgotten how. However, the reason I didn't document it was probably because it seemed logical to me at the time. Let me look back at this and I will post the procedure as soon as I replicate it. Give me a few days because I have been on vacation without email in July and have a pile of business piled up. I just found your posting now.

Cheers -- Norman

Fangman
August 5th, 2009, 03:31 AM
chonacky- thank you very much, because i am at a total loss!