PDA

View Full Version : [JAVA] Copy specified char range of an ArrayList instance?

Igniteflow
June 23rd, 2009, 02:39 PM
I have an ArrayList, which is basically just a white space separated .csv text file read in line by line, each line being an element. I'd like take each element, take the chars up to the first breaking white space and assign them to an array or string and then delete that content from the
ArrayList element. The point being to separate all the attributes into their own arrays. Do that make sense? Any help would be appreciated

froggyswamp
June 23rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
That sounds like homework, I think you should try and report where you failed. Googling reveals loads of info about how to process cvs files too.

rocketflame
June 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
homework? c'mon, schools over!!! :)
for me anyway [Toronto Canada]

Igniteflow
June 25th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks Rocketflame, yes it isn't home work. As I said it's a project, and this problem is but a minuscule part of it. However, I probably should have been more clear, I had already successfully imported the .csv file and read it into the arrayList, I was just after a way to separate the information by white space. Anyway I've done it now, to others who find themselves looking for a way to do the same thing...

Convert an arrayList object to an array

arrayListNameHere.toArray(arrayNameHere);

Find first white space in the array element

int whiteSpace = arrayNameHere[i].indexOf(" "); // i is an integer signifying element number. The space between the quotation marks can be replaced with whatever char you are looking for

Make a string called substr and copy the contents of the array element up until the first white space to it

String substr = arrayNameHere[i].substring(0, whiteSpace);

* You can use a for loop to iterate this process, thus using i to move through an entire array

Hope this is useful