PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nvidia settings

nixIT
June 23rd, 2009, 02:01 PM
Hello all,

I have a Dell Latitude D830 plugging into a docking station. All is working correctly, except when I reboot, that is when my Dell 24" monitor goes into standby. I open the lid on my laptop, log in, go to the nvidia settings and adjust my display to get my 24" set. I then try to Save to Xorg.conf and I get the following error:

"Failed to parse existing X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'!"

I even ran the following:

sudo nvidia-settings

and got the same thing. Is there a way to save these setting to my xorg.conf file?

--nixIT

systemgod
June 23rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
Try removing your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (make a backup first!!!). Then try running the NVIDIA tools again, it should create a new xorg.conf.

Note: I had to temporarily change ownership of /etc/X11 to myself otherwise the NVIDIA tool couldn't write to xorg.conf (and couldn't create a backup, changin ownership of xorg.conf alone wasn't good enough)

Nico

nixIT
June 23rd, 2009, 03:40 PM
Try removing your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (make a backup first!!!). Then try running the NVIDIA tools again, it should create a new xorg.conf.

Note: I had to temporarily change ownership of /etc/X11 to myself otherwise the NVIDIA tool couldn't write to xorg.conf (and couldn't create a backup, changin ownership of xorg.conf alone wasn't good enough)

Nico

I tried that, and ran nvidia-settings as sudo, but I got a message that said couldn't open xorg.conf.

Not having much luck with 9.04. :(

--nixIT