PDA

View Full Version : Building a debug build of Firefox-3.0 from the source package

jdb2
June 23rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
In an attempt to diagnose what exactly is causing "Couldn't load XRE functions." in this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7502957#post7502957) post, I am attempting to build a debug version of the Ubuntu firefox-3.0_3.0.11+build2+nobinonly source package. Since the Ubuntu Mozilla Team elected to use a tarball within a tarball method to package their source, the first thing that I had to do after 'apt-get source firefox' was 'cd firefox-3.0-3.0.11+build2+nobinonly/; DEB_TAR_SRCDIR=mozilla make -f /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/tarball.mk pre-build
' after which the source tree was accessible for tweaking. I went ahead and edited the 'build-tree/mozilla/browser/config/mozconfig' file and added the following :

ac_add_options --disable-optimize
ac_add_options --enable-debug
ac_add_options --enable-tests

I also added a reference to the above in 'build-tree/mozilla' consisting of a 1 line .mozconfig file :

. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig

After that I built the debs using 'DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="--enable-debug --disable-optimize --disable-strip --disable-strip-libs" fakeroot debian/rules binary' .

When the build finished I installed the debs ( firefox-3.0 and firefox-3.0-branding ) and ran 'firefox --debug' only to get the "no debugging symbols found" output from GDB.

Running 'file /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.11/firefox' produces :

/usr/lib/firefox-3.0.11/firefox: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.15, stripped

So, my question is what exactly am I doing wrong that results in a stripped, optimized build instead of a debug build? I've successfully compiled a debug build from the official Mozilla project tarball but strangely it doesn't error out with "Couldn't load XRE functions."

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

jdb2

jdb2
June 25th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Well I "solved" the problem, although not as I had intended. The fact that the debug build from the official Mozilla Project tarball ran without error is that I did not indicate to the build system that I wanted the build to be dynamically linked against my system libxul. Adding 'ac_add_options --disable-libxul' to .mozconfig fixed that problem. I can now see that there is a buffer overflow in or associated with libxul.

Still, it would be nice to know how to do a debug build of the Ubuntu source package.

jdb2