PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Ubuntu App store?

hammer v2
June 23rd, 2009, 10:58 AM
A reall app store where you can by programs and find ALL the opensource ones too.

Seems a logical way to progress ubuntu and for canononical to get some cash in....

BackwardsDown
June 23rd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Atm there is only this:
http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=19&osCsid=a174f13340a6433bb2646066c669f29a

But they want to create ways to sell stuff with the add/remove programs application.

hammer v2
June 23rd, 2009, 11:08 AM
I hope they fix this soon. It's a gaping hole...having the shop on a seperate website is dumb.

madverb
June 23rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
No... the gaping hole is that iPhone doesn't have apt.

hammer v2
June 23rd, 2009, 11:37 AM
No... the gaping hole is that iPhone doesn't have apt.

Haha! I'm sure they use a similar thingy for their app store. Whatever it is, it's very slick.

Oh,
and Cydia (the "other" iphone appstore) DOES use Apt....

monsterstack
June 23rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
Yes, let's have Ubuntu include about ten proprietary applications in the add/remove menu. That will obviously make it successful at last, because the 26,000 free packages we already have just aren't ready for prime time.

spin_on_this
June 23rd, 2009, 11:40 AM
Yes, let's have Ubuntu include about ten proprietary applications in the add/remove menu. That will obviously make it successful at last, because the 26,000 free packages we already have just aren't ready for prime time.

Ironically, the last part of that statement is true.

hammer v2
June 23rd, 2009, 11:45 AM
An Ubuntu app store wouldn't be for the guys who know what they're doin. They'll always revert to the cli or synaptic.

I'm thinking of the grannies and netbook owners all coming on board.
Skype should be in there, so should nero, picassa, crossover, pixel, staroffice, thinkfree, limewire, doom3, Ankh, quake....you get the idea.

It's in the non-techies and developer's interest to make this happen.

It could revolutionize linux software much the same way as apple store has revolutionised smartphones.

monsterstack
June 23rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
ironically, the last part of that statement is true.

My god, you're right! These apps, why, they're useless! 26,000 applications and not a single good one among them. No good software application has ever been available on Linux. It's just a completely useless OS that nobody uses! No really, I agree. Linux users are all masochists. Thanks for letting me know. Whew. Dodged a bullet, there. I'll install Vista ASAP. I advise everyone else to do the same!

spin_on_this
June 23rd, 2009, 12:12 PM
My god, you're right! These apps, why, they're useless! 26,000 applications and not a single good one among them. No good software application has ever been available on Linux. It's just a completely useless OS that nobody uses! No really, I agree. Linux users are all masochists. Thanks for letting me know. Whew. Dodged a bullet, there. I'll install Vista ASAP. I advise everyone else to do the same!

Good boy.

Swagman
June 23rd, 2009, 12:16 PM
Limewire = Frostwire ?

koleoptero
June 23rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
Are there any good commercial apps for linux that can be used in such a store? :confused:

hammer v2
June 23rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
Are there any good commercial apps for linux that can be used in such a store

Yeah, there most certainly are. And the moment word gets out about the app store, you can bet there will be many more.

spin_on_this
June 23rd, 2009, 12:25 PM
Yeah, there most certainly are. And the moment word gets out about the app store, you can bet there will be many more.

Keep dreaming :P

koleoptero
June 23rd, 2009, 12:26 PM
I was hoping for a mention of some. :P I can say there most certainly are pink elephants with wings, but I'd be hard pressed to find one :P :)

hammer v2
June 23rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
I was hoping for a mention of some.

Aw come on guys...work with me here.. :P

how about..
Maya, skype, google earth (pro), pixel, Crossover, nero, Ankh, Quake, doom3, crossover games, money manager, thinkfree office, limewire, prey and the fluendo codecs?

koleoptero
June 23rd, 2009, 12:39 PM

how about..
Maya, skype, google earth (pro), pixel, Crossover, nero, Ankh, Quake, doom3, crossover games, money manager, thinkfree office, limewire, prey and the fluendo codecs?

skype? in a store? :confused:

Also for apps that work with crossover, I'd not include them in a store for a linux distro, although crossover itself is good.

I still don't see any apps that would help professionals, which is probably who'd buy a non-free app mostly.

Tibuda
June 23rd, 2009, 12:43 PM

how about..

If skype is in your list, then you should add opera and adobe flash player.

billgoldberg
June 23rd, 2009, 12:45 PM
A reall app store where you can by programs and find ALL the opensource ones too.

Seems a logical way to progress ubuntu and for canononical to get some cash in....

App stores are for mobile phones, not real computers.

Not that I would ever buy an app for a phone. What is up with that?

Slug71
June 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Ubuntu AppCenter is supposedly gonna be something like App Store.

ssam
June 23rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Click 'n' Run (http://www.crn.com/) app store. has both foss, freeware and pay-for. supports several distros including ubuntu.

Woormy
June 23rd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Ubuntu AppCenter is supposedly gonna be something like App Store.

I hope it's nothing like the Apple App Store. Since when do we ask a company for permission to install software on our hardware?