PDA

View Full Version : Need to catalog large collection of Vinyl LPs and export to website

ajroach42
June 23rd, 2009, 08:22 AM
I have just inherited the task of cataloging ~15,000 old and new LP records as part of my latest job. I don't want to spend long inputing each album, it would be ideal if the program did as much of the leg works as possible. (thats what computers are for, right?) Final destination, when everything is said and done, is the Virtumart extension for Joomla.

I was hoping there would be an easy way to do this, either input album title or publisher ID or something, and have some program churn away and spit out the relevant info (possibly using the musicbrainz database or the discogs API?) and then managing quantities and stock from joomla (and from our current POS)

Is there a simple way to do this, preferably on my Xubuntu box? Failing a simple way to do it, does anyone have any suggestions for making it a less painful process? Am I looking at things from the wrong direction?

MaxIBoy
June 24th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Well, there are USB turntables you could buy (I have one.)

However, it's still a turntable, you need to manually put the record on, flip it when side A is done, and then move onto the next record.

Maybe a more expensive model might have an automatic record changer? If so, you could load the records five at a time. You could also get a bank of three or four record players side-by-side. The sound will NOT all get mixed together, so you don't have to worry about that (each device creates its own channel.)