PDA

View Full Version : remove software from wine

Mia1990
June 23rd, 2009, 05:47 AM
using the uninstall wine software there is a red x by all the software i have installed in wine does anyone know what this is and how i can uninstall software in wine i have tried to remove some for over a hour now i went to the terminal and did a sudo nautilus and deleted it that way but it did not remove it from program's menu thank you

bichopro
June 23rd, 2009, 05:50 AM
delete the hidden folder of wine on home maybe work, its .wine

Mia1990
June 23rd, 2009, 06:10 AM
The hidden folder isn't that all there is?

themusicalduck
June 23rd, 2009, 06:16 AM
Uninstalling software from wine doesn't necessarily remove the menu items as well. You have to remove them manually by right clicking on Applications and selecting Edit menus. You can delete items from there. To delete an item from your panel just right click on the item and click Remove from panel.

Don't delete your .wine folder, it'll delete all your programs and configurations so far.

Bucky Ball
June 23rd, 2009, 06:18 AM
I have an ugly feeling you need to uninstall them USING WINE. I could be wrong, but that is how they got there; Ubuntu possibly has no idea what they are or how to get rid of them.

A hassle, but maybe install wine, uninstall the programs, unstall wine. Wine is messy (no joke intended); it leaves crap everywhere and it's seemingly impossible to completely uninstall all its files (just like a Windows gadget!). There are plenty of threads regarding this issue. You can get rid of Wine, but it leaves superfluous files that do nothing but sit there forever after, doing nothing, as you will discover if you uninstall wine, open a terminal and type/paste:

locate wine:)

Mia1990
June 23rd, 2009, 06:21 AM
Uninstalling software from wine doesn't necessarily remove the menu items as well. You have to remove them manually by right clicking on Applications and selecting Edit menus. You can delete items from there. To delete an item from your panel just right click on the item and click Remove from panel.

Don't delete your .wine folder, it'll delete all your programs and configurations so far.
omg thank you so much worked like a charm

xoxo
Mia

Bucky Ball
June 23rd, 2009, 06:22 AM
Good. Now open a terminal and type:

locate wine

Mia1990
June 23rd, 2009, 06:33 AM
ok but the software is still listed in the uninstall wine software and there is red x next to them the red x has always been there i don't know why any clue?

Bucky Ball
June 23rd, 2009, 06:47 AM
The method you have used has simply hidden items in your menu, it hasn't un-installed or deleted anything.

Maybe re-read post #5, Mia.

:)

Mia1990
June 23rd, 2009, 06:56 AM
The method you have used has simply hidden items in your menu, it hasn't un-installed or deleted anything.

Maybe re-read post #5, Mia.

:)

ok i get wine some what.I need to uninstall the software using wine because that's how it got there ok what about any software i have not deleted i know wine flags software that has been removed but if i don't remove it will i need to reinstall it?

Mia1990
June 23rd, 2009, 07:14 AM
never mind the last question i had a blond moment Lol:)

Bucky Ball
June 23rd, 2009, 08:06 AM
Ha! Yea, I was about to post back saying I was a little confused. I have those moments myself sometimes!

So, you have uninstalled Wine, there are programs still there that were installed with Wine?

Wine will not un-install Linux programs. Is this kinda what you are getting at?

Mia1990
June 23rd, 2009, 09:06 AM
all up and going thank you so much your my hero.
Mia

Bucky Ball
June 23rd, 2009, 01:43 PM
Aw, Shucks! Better get my lycra suit out (which one though??). Seriously, it's a pleasure.

Glad to hear it's all up and happening. When wine is uninstalled (and the programs installed using it also), wine itself does leave a lot of it own artifacts/files about, but as I say, they do nothing and I can find no other way of killing them off than doing a complete re-install. If you discover some way let me know.

I installed wine, never used it and uninstalled straight away and have had the remnants on my machinefor over a year to no ill effect (like many other users). Just takes up space, nothing more, and occasionally p****s me off!

Happy Ubuntu-ing! :)