PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Restore Icons Sizes

Philly Idol
June 23rd, 2009, 03:51 AM
Hey there,

Sorry for such a newbie question, as well as if there is a quick fix for this, but I've searched everywhere and can't find it.

I added a few themes, and icon, sets, and for whatever reason, there was a note saying I needed to install some apt to get it to work, so I opened Synaptic, found it and installed it, but now, for the life of me, I can't remember what it was called, because it stated a part of the install, I had to un-install the one already installed (I know - not very helpful am I).

Anyway, I said OK, and now this setting seemed to cause all my menu icons (Applications/Places/System) to shrink, and even if I switch to some default theme, they're all small :oops: .

I know it was some type of resolution/display apt that started with a G (I keep thinking gtk, or gnome, -something), but I've tried almost everything I've found on Google, other forums, etc., but I just can't get it sorted out ](*,), so if anyone can point me to a thread, or fix (I'll even accept the "uh hello, you just go here and do this :P " comments - I realize newbie's get the gears at times, so I'm game - but not too harsh please :shock: )

I'll still look thru as many settings as I can, and will keep trying, so I'm not just sitting around (who knows, the second I post this, I might find it), but I do trully appreciate any help.

Thanks

raymondh
June 23rd, 2009, 04:10 AM
open synaptic > status (bottom left) and browse through INSTALLED to see if you can recognize what you installed.

Philly Idol
June 23rd, 2009, 05:15 AM
Hey Raymond,

I think I've narrowed it down to a specific resolution install for the entire desktop (i.e. like the 1024x768 / 1280x1024 / etc.), and I think what happened was whatever theme I downloaded required a certain apt, or system setting, to run so that it would display properly, or it triggered the fact that I hadn't actually done it right in the first place (since I'm a complete newbie, and this is the first install of Ubuntu I've ever done in my life).

So, the theme brought the setting fault to light, told me that I needed to correct it (and showed me how) and it "fixed" the resolution settings, so that the system actually was working the way it's supposed to, and I just mistook it for an eror with the display (like I said, I'm new :oops: ).

Anyway, I changed the display to the 1024x768 setting, and the icons looked there normal size (as I thot they were), but then the screen was waaaay too small for me, so I set it back to the 1280x1024, and I'll just have to live with small menu icons I guess.

Unless there's a way to set those icons to the 1024x768 size, and leave the rest of the desktop at the 1280x1024 - or - this whole thing is an actual screwed up setting, and I'll just have to figure it out over time?

I'm still looking through the installed items in the Synaptic manager one line at a time JIC anyway, so I'll post back if I find it (I feel like such a dope for not remembering already ](*,)).

Thanks for the reply tho - I really do appreciate the support :) .

raymondh
June 23rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
Unless there's a way to set those icons to the 1024x768 size, and leave the rest of the desktop at the 1280x1024 - or - this whole thing is an actual screwed up setting, and I'll just have to figure it out over time?

Let's try something ....

- Open up your nautilus file browser
- Go to EDIT > Preferences > Views Tab > Icon View Default

Try to set from there. Note that this will also change your desktop icons

Other than that, I can't think of anything else at the moment. I will post back should something come up .... or when I get my head attached to my shoulder again :)

Congratulations on having fixed your issue. Happy Ubuntu-ing.

Philly Idol
June 25th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Hey Raymond,

I gave your steps a try, but this setting ONLY applied to the desktop icons (I went from 100% to 200% and WHOA :shock: - the desktop icons definitely got bigger).

I still haven't found any specific settings for just the menu's. I tried to find a setting by right-clicking the menu and accessing the properties for them, but there's nothing regarding resizing them (I even tried the panel properties 'pixel' settings, but only the panel icons got bigger).

However, here's a weird thing, I had stretched one of the desktop icons, and just decided to set it back to it's orig size, and suddenly, the Application, and System, menu icons were back to the normal size, but the Places icons were still small :confused:.

I think I'm looking at a few weird bugs with all my themes (icon and otherwise), as I DL'd a new one today (Ultimate Edition 2.2), and I've got some funky pointer now that I love, but when I try to set my Appearance>Visual Effects from none to normal, it fails, so I think I have waaaay more to do/learn before I get all this sorted out (figure I need to fix my settings to get some of the Compiz functions).

Just FYI, my sys specs are:

Mobo/Chipset: Intel 82845G/GL/GE Chipset
CPU: Intel Celeron 1.8GHz - (I know, pretty lame, but it's all I've got for now)
RAM: 768MB - (742MB actual - due to minusing 26MB used for onboard graphics - again - pretty lame I know)
HD: 80GB

raymondh
June 25th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Can you share a screenshot?

Philly Idol
June 25th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Hey Raymond,

I kept playing around with the desktop icons (stretching, reverting, etc), and now all the icons are nice and normal sized.

I'm not sure what the deal is with it, but maybe because my install was sooo new (I just installed last week), and I was busy DL'ing/installing themes/icons, that all the settings were all over the place, and it just needed some 'tweaking' before everything lined up.

Anyway, I was able to take a SS of the entire screen, but I haven't figured out how to take a SS of just the drop menus. When I try to do it, I press Alt+Print Scrn with the drop menu open, but nothing happens.

I'll keep trying, and post it as soon as I figure that one out.

Cheers, and thanks much.

raymondh
June 25th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Hey Raymond,

I kept playing around with the desktop icons (stretching, reverting, etc), and now all the icons are nice and normal sized.

I'm not sure what the deal is with it, but maybe because my install was sooo new (I just installed last week), and I was busy DL'ing/installing themes/icons, that all the settings were all over the place, and it just needed some 'tweaking' before everything lined up.

Anyway, I was able to take a SS of the entire screen, but I haven't figured out how to take a SS of just the drop menus. When I try to do it, I press Alt+Print Scrn with the drop menu open, but nothing happens.

I'll keep trying, and post it as soon as I figure that one out.

Cheers, and thanks much.

You're welcome and glad you have it set to how you want it. I was thinking of also 'stretching' to get the panel icons sized to your liking but thought of having a look-see to get a clearer picture of it.

Nevertheless ... congratulations and happy ubuntu-ing.