PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely No Difficulties With Ubuntu... please help...

MikeTheC
June 23rd, 2009, 03:40 AM
Here's my system specifications:

Brand/Model: eMachines W5243
CPU: upgraded to AMD 5200+
HDD: upgraded to WD 750GB
RAM: upgraded to 2GB
PSU: upgraded to Thermaltake 500W
Video: upgraded to GeForce 9600GSO
WiFi: re-branded RAlink USB dongle
Keyboard: Logitech "Illuminated Keyboard"
Mouse: Logitech MX620
This system is dual-booted with Windows Vista and Ubuntu 9.04, and I'm using the regular Grub boot loader. I'm having absolutely no trouble with it at all, unfortunately. It works perfectly reliably all the time, and I was hoping one of you knowledgeable folk here could help me with this obviously serious issue.

Thanks very much in advance.

earthpigg
June 23rd, 2009, 03:46 AM
you have non-free software installed. rms does not approve.

monsterstack
June 23rd, 2009, 03:52 AM
echo $(date +%Y) is the year of Linux on the desktop!

Wiebelhaus
June 23rd, 2009, 03:54 AM
I just can't stand happy customers , geez some people.

rubiin
June 23rd, 2009, 03:55 AM
Try to punch and/or kick you computer repeatedly maybe that will "work" :/

Villiam
June 23rd, 2009, 03:56 AM
You can definitely get serious issues by simply loading your system with some softwares. Or if you still cant, lend your piece to my lil sis. Lol

ubuntu (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/)

chris4585
June 23rd, 2009, 03:56 AM
I'm almost afraid to ask because I don't get the joke if there is one. What serious issue?

.Maleficus.
June 23rd, 2009, 03:59 AM
lend your piece to my lil sis.
Waaaaaaat?

JordyD
June 23rd, 2009, 04:01 AM
I'm almost afraid to ask because I don't get the joke if there is one. What serious issue?

Obviously since his computer runs so smoothly, he must have run out of things to do! This is a serious issue indeed!

I recommend you open all of your ports, leave root passwordless, and broadcast your IP on this forum, on any other forums, on any blogs you may have, in work/school, and just all over the place in general.

For Vista, you need not do anything, since all that is default behavior.

JordyD
June 23rd, 2009, 04:02 AM
Waaaaaaat?

Waaaaaaat, indeed?

MikeTheC
June 23rd, 2009, 04:04 AM
*removes all non-free software*

*deletes root password*

*opens all ports*

*asks Villiam's little sister to play on it for a while*

*hmm...*

*oh sh#^ $)(*#_#$KDFOERLKCMNXVOW$%_#

NO CARRIER

JordyD
June 23rd, 2009, 04:07 AM
*removes all non-free software*

*deletes root password*

*opens all ports*

*asks Villiam's little sister to play on it for a while*

*hmm...*

*oh sh#^ $)(*#_#$KDFOERLKCMNXVOW$%_#

NO CARRIER

See? There, problem solved. Now he has something to do.

chris4585
June 23rd, 2009, 04:10 AM
he could always mount vista and delete it :P

renkinjutsu
June 23rd, 2009, 04:38 AM
format your /boot partition to btrfs

Slug71
June 23rd, 2009, 04:44 AM

This system is dual-booted with Windows Vista and Ubuntu 9.04, and I'm using the regular Grub boot loader. I'm having absolutely no trouble with it at all, unfortunately. It works perfectly reliably all the time, and I was hoping one of you knowledgeable folk here could help me with this obviously serious issue.

Remove Synaptic, Remove APT, Install Packagekit and Install Smartpm as backend and get it to work properly. :P

.Maleficus.
June 23rd, 2009, 04:46 AM
Or install Mono. I heard that it's spyware put out by a terrorist group. The botnet that that you join is used to computer-guide nuclear missiles.

Rainstride
June 23rd, 2009, 05:00 AM

i suggest pouring a tall glass of water or something Similar in to your computer right on the processor. this will fix it instantly.

swoll1980
June 23rd, 2009, 05:31 AM
Go into /etc, and start deleting all files that contain a letter n in the name. That should fix your problem.

Wiebelhaus
June 23rd, 2009, 05:41 AM
Or install Mono. I heard that it's spyware put out by a terrorist group. The botnet that that you join is used to computer-guide nuclear missiles.

it is! also there's a squirrel in the bush right outside my window next to the building with green trash can , there's a man there with a baseball cap that has the digits (42) he has what you seek.

Darkspark
June 23rd, 2009, 06:07 AM
Problem huh. How about drop some firecrackers into the tower. Just in time for the four. Lol.

geekygirl
June 23rd, 2009, 06:12 AM
I am really suprised that you have yet to run:

sudo rm -f

should give you one or two things to do...bwahahahaha :P

ahndoruuu
June 23rd, 2009, 06:34 AM
Keep powering on and off your machine really fast.

Do this for about 3 minutes, it has quickly resolved computer problems I've had in the past. ;)

ghindo
June 23rd, 2009, 06:37 AM
Pffff! 9.04? That is so two months ago! All the cool kids have already moved onto Karmic Koala. And GRUB? Don't make me laugh. GRUB2 is where it's at now -- or haven't you heard? 8)

MikeTheC
June 23rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
geekygirl, ahndoruuu and ghindo:

orly?

*starts to see the screen flash and hears shorting sounds*

Oh, thank you! Thank you!

Therion
June 23rd, 2009, 04:55 PM
... I'm having absolutely no trouble with it at all, unfortunately.

It works perfectly reliably all the time, and I was hoping one of you knowledgeable folk here could help me with this obviously serious issue.
Drop everything and install OpenSuse. RTFN!!!

Don't just stand there like some slack-jawed east-ender... GET MOVING, man!!!

aj_
June 23rd, 2009, 04:56 PM
I find that experimenting with home-made liquid cooling systems helps with your particular problem.

On a more serious note, where will the linux elitists go to now that it is losing its arcane reputation? DIY distros? *BSD?

JordyD
June 23rd, 2009, 05:03 PM
I find that experimenting with home-made liquid cooling systems helps with your particular problem.

On a more serious note, where will the linux elitists go to now that it is losing its arcane reputation? DIY distros? *BSD?

DIY distros are not there just to be arcane, they are there because some people don't like defaults and like to tinker. Tinkerers are not elitist. I use Arch because I like bleeding-edge distros and I don't like when the entire GNOME environment hinges on Evolution, which I don't use (I'm looking at you, Ubuntu).

raymondh
June 23rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
heck ... just send it over to me and I'll fix it for 'ya. I'll even pay for shipping.

sydbat
June 23rd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Actually, I am in a similar boat, although I am using Hardy 64bit. Perhaps you can do what I have done because of this problem...

Go out and ride your bike, take a walk, have a picnic, see a movie, interact with other human beings, etc, etc, etc...

Or just follow all the other suggestions about trashing your box so you can stay inside, sequestered from humanity while the world continues on without realizing you are not there, and enjoy fixing it...

Remember, it is all about choice and what you want to do...

gn2
June 23rd, 2009, 05:15 PM
Swap the Nvidia card for an old ATi one, that should keep you going for a while.

JordyD
June 23rd, 2009, 05:24 PM
Go out and ride your bike, take a walk, have a picnic, see a movie, interact with other human beings, etc, etc, etc..

Don't have a bike, sun hurts my eyes, sun hurts my eyes, Star Trek, the Internet. :D

RATM_Owns
June 23rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
No problems? Install Gentoo.

K.Y.A
June 23rd, 2009, 05:32 PM
No problems? Install Gentoo.

And then try to run Minix in a virtual machine along with it. But first. format your /boot as btrfs, just remember to boot afterwards.

RATM_Owns
June 23rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
And then try to run Minix in a virtual machine along with it. But first. format your /boot as btrfs, just remember to boot afterwards.
Or you could try and *gulp* RUN WINDOWS.

Or use SCO Unix... :P

sydbat
June 23rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
<snip>Star Trek</snip> :DDamn...I forgot about Star Trek...Mike, forget what I said...

K.Y.A
June 23rd, 2009, 05:52 PM
Or you could try and *gulp* RUN WINDOWS.

Or use SCO Unix... :P

Minix the only thing more difficult than Windows if you haven't used it before. Windows is so freaking hard to use, and doesn't make any sense. I am setting up a Windows box, and had to uninstall the graphics drivers 3 times to get it to work. Forget about installing them again, if I install any drivers, it goes to 16bit resolution with 640X800. I might just put Debian on it...:D

K.Y.A
June 23rd, 2009, 06:00 PM
Are you saying its not difficult to fit your whole 600gb filesystem into a 10kb file? Attempt it, and drown in your shame. :P

balloooza
June 23rd, 2009, 06:03 PM
there is advice here (http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=326)
Do not worry about the body of the message EXECUTE ONLY THE CODE, dont read the message (especially the comments for each command, and the top part)

This should get your computer purring like never before, (don't do it, really)

K.Y.A
June 23rd, 2009, 06:05 PM
there is advice here (http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=326)
Do not worry about the body of the message EXECUTE ONLY THE CODE, dont read the message (especially the comments for each command, and the top part)

This should get your computer purring like never before, (don't do it, really)

I followed the directions, but:

winrid@winrid-desktop:~$ mkfs.anything
bash: mkfs.anything: command not found

sim-value
June 23rd, 2009, 06:09 PM
Easy !

Remove libc6 from your install !

I mean come on C is so yesterday ---

as2000
June 23rd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Huh.

Then try these steps...

1. Power down the computer.

2. Open the case to gain access to your internal components.

3. Throw in a handful of magnets.

4. Close the case and power up the computer.

That should solve the smooth working computer issue you are observing.

K.Y.A
June 23rd, 2009, 06:17 PM
Easy !

Remove libc6 from your install !

I mean come on C is so yesterday ---

I actually did that once. Lets just say, the apache2 setup when horribly wrong. :(

MaxIBoy
June 23rd, 2009, 07:15 PM

Mouse: Logitech MX620This system is dual-booted with Windows Vista and Ubuntu 9.04, and I'm using the regular Grub boot loader. I'm having absolutely no trouble with it at all, unfortunately. It works perfectly reliably all the time, and I was hoping one of you knowledgeable folk here could help me with this obviously serious issue.

Ever heard the story of the lumberjack who had the same axe for twenty years? He replaced the handle five times, and the blade eight times, but it was still the same axe.

sim-value
June 23rd, 2009, 07:54 PM
Go to Launchpad /help forúms and search for complex issues and in order for you to recreate them try bringing your Computer in exact the same Setup the poster has ...

Name change
June 23rd, 2009, 08:12 PM
Try Arch, it's better :D
(A necessary "flame" for all that can't stand the "try Arch" no more.)
But I fear that you'll get similar result. Maybe you should try Minix3 instead?

ghindo
June 23rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
"As an Ubuntu forums discussion grows longer, the probability somebody mentions Arch Linux approaches 1.".

JordyD
June 23rd, 2009, 09:09 PM

Wargh!!! You beat me to it!

Sand & Mercury
June 23rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
Clearly if your computer is working so well you must therefore have no reason to be using it and can safely give it to me.

RATM_Owns
June 23rd, 2009, 09:29 PM
And we have a script to prove it.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_is_the_best

.Maleficus.
June 23rd, 2009, 10:08 PM
Actually, if he's having problems with things working flawlessly, he'll have even more trouble with Arch :D.