PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite FUD?

monsterstack
June 23rd, 2009, 03:21 AM
In my newsreader I have articles from all over the web beaming marvellous examples of FUD about how Linux is terrible and how it is doomed and so on.

My favourite would probably have to be the Linux is cancer one from years back, although you don't see that one around much these days. You might notice that some of the options in the poll have an element of truth to them; however, all have been used to spread FUD in the past, so they have been included.

Well, what's your favourite?

Arup
June 23rd, 2009, 03:25 AM
Linux is spreading more rapidly than ever, thanks to distros like Ubuntu, PCLOS, SuSE and now even the new Fedora 11 which just works outta box. Problem is that most who are using it are not registering themselves as legit Linux only users and therefore the discrepancy in numbers. Its climbing and climbing fast, trust me on that. People I know who would never even give Linux a second glance come and ask me questions on it.

RiceMonster
June 23rd, 2009, 03:31 AM
Windows is for idiots
Microsoft are going to come in your room, format your hard-drive, install windows and make you pay for it

keplerspeed
June 23rd, 2009, 03:32 AM
I have friends that will not try Linux as they think it's only for geeks. Before even trying it they assume it will be too hard, too steep a learning curve.

But linux does have that image, because thats where linux comes from. Written by, and used by geeks. Unfortunately so many people believe the stereotype that you need to learn to program to use linux.

Skripka
June 23rd, 2009, 03:38 AM
"ZOMG Micro$haft suckz lolz!"

Bachstelze
June 23rd, 2009, 03:39 AM
"Ubuntu is bloated and uncustomizable."

Usually followed by "Arch is so much better".

CJ Master
June 23rd, 2009, 03:42 AM
"zomg micro$haft suckz lolz!"

zomg zomg u linzux noob!

monsterstack
June 23rd, 2009, 03:47 AM
I have friends that will not try Linux as they think it's only for geeks. Before even trying it they assume it will be too hard, too steep a learning curve.

But linux does have that image, because thats where linux comes from. Written by, and used by geeks. Unfortunately so many people believe the stereotype that you need to learn to program to use linux.

That's the impression I get as well. That Linux always has been a geeky pursuit is what makes that line of reasoning so persuasive. It's a shame.

Windows is for idiots
Microsoft are going to come in your room, format your hard-drive, install windows and make you pay for it

OK.

Linux is spreading more rapidly than ever, thanks to distros like Ubuntu, PCLOS, SuSE and now even the new Fedora 11 which just works outta box. Problem is that most who are using it are not registering themselves as legit Linux only users and therefore the discrepancy in numbers. Its climbing and climbing fast, trust me on that. People I know who would never even give Linux a second glance come and ask me questions on it.

Yup, me too.

"ZOMG Micro$haft suckz lolz!"

OK. But conversely, "ZOMG Lunix suckz lolz!" Neither is an example of FUD. It's just idiocy, and idiocy has never been exclusive to users of any particular operating system.

Godwin'd (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7498834&postcount=4).

Arup
June 23rd, 2009, 03:54 AM

LOL this is classic from so called Linux geeks, thanks to them, Linux share would never escalate had it not been for the likes of Ubuntu or SuSE or PCLOS. I have run Arch in parallel with Ubuntu and there was no advantage when compiling, encoding or doing daily tasks, even gtk perf gave identical numbers, both machines were similar in hardware. Its just a nonsensical myth, Arch is of course a pain to setup, the only advantage is a smaller memory footprint but that can be achieved in Ubuntu as well by disabling some services, you will loose the excellent plug n play ability of Ubuntu though.

MikeTheC
June 23rd, 2009, 03:56 AM
My favorite is...

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~aus033/elmer-fudd.jpg

PurposeOfReason
June 23rd, 2009, 03:57 AM

In before "BSD is 1337".

Personal favorite is pretty broad but would be the linux user who always raves over linux, saying how great everything is while ignoring its flaws.

monsterstack
June 23rd, 2009, 03:59 AM
In before "BSD is 1337".

Personal favorite is pretty broad but would be the linux user who always raves over linux, saying how great everything is while ignoring its flaws.

That's not FUD; that's advocacy. The two concepts are almost diametrically opposed.

PurposeOfReason
June 23rd, 2009, 04:02 AM
That's not FUD; that's advocacy. The two concepts are almost diametrically opposed.
Fear
Uncertainty
Doubt

I believe it covers the last two pretty well.

monsterstack
June 23rd, 2009, 04:07 AM
Fear
Uncertainty
Doubt

I believe it covers the last two pretty well.

So you think this sort of thing,

Linux is great! You won't have any problems with it. You can easily play all of your games in Wine! You won't have any problems at all. It's so easy a baby could do it!

spreads uncertainty and doubt? How? It's just fanboi-ism as far as I can tell.

PurposeOfReason
June 23rd, 2009, 04:12 AM
So you think this sort of thing, spreads uncertainty and doubt? How? It's just fanboi-ism as far as I can tell.
If you read the options, none of them do directly, they are all just statements. However, to answer your question, yes I do. How? Doubt is simple. Any person with a working brain (and that uses it) should doubt any blanket statement just for being a blanket statement. Uncertainty is a bit harder, but think about it. Would you not be uncertain about something if I told you it was perfect? Nothing is perfect.

monsterstack
June 23rd, 2009, 04:20 AM
If you read the options, none of them do directly, they are all just statements. However, to answer your question, yes I do. How? Doubt is simple. Any person with a working brain (and that uses it) should doubt any blanket statement just for being a blanket statement. Uncertainty is a bit harder, but think about it. Would you not be uncertain about something if I told you it was perfect? Nothing is perfect.

Sounds to me like you're trying to use FUD as a vague catch-all for any sort of intellectual dishonesty. When anybody comes and says something is perfect, only a fool wouldn't be sceptical, but that is not the purpose of the praise. The purpose of dubious Linux advocacy is to give people a false impression of how worthy it is. Unless you think that the purpose of Linux-fanbois is to give others the impression that the entire Linux community are a bunch of morons, I just don't see it being FUD. That's a little too black-helicopter-y even for the fanbois themselves :P

sertse
June 23rd, 2009, 04:22 AM

+1 Really needs to be an option :P

starcraft.man
June 23rd, 2009, 04:29 AM
"Windows just works".

I just want to bombard these people's computers with BSoDs after that, just to watch them squirm!

Therion
June 23rd, 2009, 04:29 AM
Well for baking I like the Yukon Gold and the Kennebec best I suppose but you can't beat the California Long White for home made french-fries.

Oh, wait. You said FUD.

Heh...

I read that as "SPUD".

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/potatoes-1.jpg

*cough*

Sorry...

RiceMonster
June 23rd, 2009, 04:30 AM
"Windows just works".

I just want to bombard these people's computers with BSoDs after that, just to watch them squirm!

"Linux just works".

I just want to bombard these people's computers with Kernel Panics after that, just to watch them squirm!

MikeTheC
June 23rd, 2009, 04:32 AM
Well for baking I like the Yukon Gold and the Kennebec best I suppose but you can't beat the California Long White for home made french-fries.

Oh, wait. You said FUD.

Heh...

I read that as "SPUD".

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/potatoes-1.jpg

*cough*

Sorry...

Seriously LOL'd at this.

monsterstack
June 23rd, 2009, 04:34 AM
"Windows just works".

"Linux just works".

I just want to bombard these people's computers with Kernel Panics after that, just to watch them squirm!

Oh please, when was the last time either of you ever saw a BSOD or a kernel panic? My last BSOD was under Vista when I tried to use my new graphics card to play a game (which was fixed two years ago), and I've never encountered a kernel panic at all, and I don't know anybody who ever has.

RiceMonster
June 23rd, 2009, 04:35 AM
Oh please, when was the last time either of you ever saw a BSOD or a kernel panic? My last BSOD was under Vista when I tried to use my new graphics card to play a game (which was fixed two years ago), and I've never encountered a kernel panic at all, and I don't know anybody who ever has.

My point was they both crash. I've never encountered a kernel panic, and I've encountered a BSoD once. So in short, I agree with you. That was really the point I was trying to make.

starcraft.man
June 23rd, 2009, 04:40 AM
My point was they both crash. I've never encountered a kernel panic, and I've encountered a BSoD once. So in short, I agree with you. That was really the point I was trying to make.

That actually wasn't my point, I intended to place emphasis on the "just works" part. The BSoD bombardment was merely a cruel and twisted punishment. Maybe I should have "magically dropped them in an aged, 3 floor IT nightmare that needs an upgrade" instead. It made sense to my tired brain or maybe not...

I know BSoDs don't happen often now, maybe it's just my nightmare >.<.

Edit 2: Just forget it. Why'd I even bother.... *sigh*

ad_267
June 23rd, 2009, 04:40 AM
I like the, "Linux is only safer because nobody uses it, so no one bothers to write viruses for it."

monsterstack
June 23rd, 2009, 04:42 AM

That's fine.

Anyhow, I don't think brainless advocacy is a particularly Fuddish. Windows advocacy (just like Linux advocacy) doesn't have to involve FUD. I mean, "It just works!" is vague praise. My car just works, too. It only becomes FUD when you go ahead and use that as a jump-off point for telling people that the competition doesn't work.

monsterstack
June 23rd, 2009, 04:45 AM
I like the, "Linux is only safer because nobody uses it, so no one bothers to write viruses for it."

Yeah, that's a good one. For all the zillions of Windows viruses there are out there, you would have thought that someone, anyone, would have written a spreadable Linux virus by now. Linux viruses exist, but there isn't a single one in the wild. Not a single one.

Tipped OuT
June 23rd, 2009, 04:47 AM
Seriously LOL'd at this.

+1 Ahahaa.

CJ Master
June 23rd, 2009, 07:29 AM
My favorite is...

http://www.court-records.net/animation/gant-break(a).gif

Ahaha! Your funny, Udgey!

LookTJ
June 23rd, 2009, 07:43 AM
I gotten a kernel panic after not updating Arch for 4 months. :popcorn:

LookTJ
June 23rd, 2009, 07:45 AM
I'd have to say this one's my favorite

Grant A.
June 23rd, 2009, 07:58 AM
I was talking to a friend about Linux once, and he said that he wishes he could use it, but doesn't, because it's too expensive. >.<

itreius
June 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM
"Linux is better than Windows" and/or "Enjoy the viruses on Windows"

Viva
June 23rd, 2009, 10:16 AM
"Linux is better than Windows" and/or "Enjoy the viruses on Windows"

You read the thread title wrong. This thread is not about favorite facts.

monsterstack
June 23rd, 2009, 10:20 AM
"Linux is better than Windows"
Opinion. Not FUD. Next.

"Enjoy the viruses on Windows"
I'll give you that one, although if it had been, "Windows is more susceptible to viruses than Linux," then it would have simply been a statement of fact.

xpod
June 23rd, 2009, 10:22 AM
Re: What's your favourite FUD?

My favourite(for want of a better term) can begin in any number of different ways but it usually always ends with the same classic line......"and if i cant use it how the hell are mom & pop ever going to manage"

monsterstack
June 23rd, 2009, 10:42 AM
My favourite(for want of a better term) can begin in any number of different ways but it usually always ends with the same classic line......"and if i cant use it how the hell are mom & pop ever going to manage"

Yeah, I see this one a lot, too. Variations include, but are not limited to, "Joe Schmoe", "Joe Sixpack", "my grandma", and so on. The comment any of these terms appears in can usually be translated to, "I am justifying my own ignorance by insinuating that everybody else in the world is equally as stupid as me."

Swagman
June 23rd, 2009, 12:40 PM
Fat
Useless
Dosser

Yup... Describes me perfectly.

I've also had Colonel Panics and Sergeant Segmentations too.. But NEVER on Ubuntu. Those were on PPC Debian back when the dinosaurs were stomping around.

days_of_ruin
June 23rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
My favorite is...

:)

Grant A.
June 23rd, 2009, 07:37 PM
My favorite is...

Hehehe. Shh, it's jackalope season wight now.

Dharmachakra
June 23rd, 2009, 08:06 PM
LOL this is classic from so called Linux geeks, thanks to them, Linux share would never escalate had it not been for the likes of Ubuntu or SuSE or PCLOS. I have run Arch in parallel with Ubuntu and there was no advantage when compiling, encoding or doing daily tasks, even gtk perf gave identical numbers, both machines were similar in hardware. Its just a nonsensical myth, Arch is of course a pain to setup, the only advantage is a smaller memory footprint but that can be achieved in Ubuntu as well by disabling some services, you will loose the excellent plug n play ability of Ubuntu though.

This type of post would be my choice. You also kinda missed the point of Arch by the way...

And basically anything that dramatic, overzealous Ubuntu users say. Windows users, to me, seem much more sensible.

Name change
June 23rd, 2009, 08:08 PM
BoycottNovell; seriuosly that's only FUD that's "destroying" Linux community.

.Maleficus.
June 23rd, 2009, 10:15 PM
Something like this would be my choice.

Tipped OuT
June 23rd, 2009, 10:30 PM
I gotten a kernel panic after not updating Arch for 4 months. :popcorn:

Well whose fault is that? There's updates for a reason.

ghindo
June 24th, 2009, 12:16 AM

hey guys, am i late to the thread?

chaslinux
June 24th, 2009, 12:46 AM
My favourite FUD would have to be "Linux is only for geeks." Often I find it comes from people who fancy themselves to be a Windows GURU. The Windows GURUs that I know often actually have enough sense to respect Linux. Which means the FUD is usually just coming either from people with a vested interest in Windows (e.g. they get paid to slag Linux) or people who just really don't have a clue about operating systems in general. Even some of the Microsoft managers I know respect Linux. I find it funny that a "so called" Windows Guru would think Linux is only for geeks. I find it funny because my wife made the transition to Ubuntu and she did it almost entirely without my help and she's far from being a geek! I one attempted to put Windows 7 on her computer to see if she liked it and she got mad at me and told me to put Linux back on. That was the day I knew my coffee cup was full!

Tipped OuT
June 24th, 2009, 12:53 AM
My favourite FUD would have to be "Linux is only for geeks." Often I find it comes from people who fancy themselves to be a Windows GURU. The Windows GURUs that I know often actually have enough sense to respect Linux. Which means the FUD is usually just coming either from people with a vested interest in Windows (e.g. they get paid to slag Linux) or people who just really don't have a clue about operating systems in general. Even some of the Microsoft managers I know respect Linux. I find it funny that a "so called" Windows Guru would think Linux is only for geeks. I find it funny because my wife made the transition to Ubuntu and she did it almost entirely without my help and she's far from being a geek! I one attempted to put Windows 7 on her computer to see if she liked it and she got mad at me and told me to put Linux back on. That was the day I knew my coffee cup was full!

I have to agree with the "FUD" that, "Linux is for geeks". Why? Well I've never seen a regular everyday person use or know how to use Linux. They all use Windows or Mac.

Because in order to use Linux, you must have basic knowledge on how your computer works. Which regualar everyday people do not. They just press the power button, and point and click there way through.

Yownanymous
June 24th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Windows is for idiots

But, with it being Microsoft, you can safely bet on waiting at least 30 years before they get there, by which time they may well be bankrupt. :D

Yownanymous
June 24th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I have to agree with the "FUD" that, "Linux is for geeks". Why? Well I've never seen a regular everyday person use or know how to use Linux. They all use Windows or Mac.

Because in order to use Linux, you must have basic knowledge on how your computer works. Which regualar everyday people do not. They just press the power button, and point and click there way through.

I dunno actually, I found 9.04 was annoyingly built for an imaginary group of stupid people, thus I stopped using Ubuntu.

kk0sse54
June 24th, 2009, 01:25 AM

I see myself as a regular computer user, I hate programming and sitting in front of computers when I can have a life outside of a square box and I use linux.