PDA

View Full Version : 4 most annoying FPS game-play issues

Lateforgym
June 23rd, 2009, 12:00 AM
(As displayed by first person shooter COD World at War):

1.) Developer decided that you are not capable of jumping over a 1 foot high obstacle. While trying to jump over a box an infant could navigate, you die from enemy fire after spending hours trying to get to an objective.

2.) Player must not be able to get the objective too quickly: Have enemy solders appear out of nowhere and kill player; player must agree to sit in an area for a certain time period to make the game seem longer.

3.) AS (Artificial Stupidity) - 6 fellow solders allow enemy combatant (standing right in front of them) to stab you while you are distracted, because you are always force to take point.

4.) The "hit box" doesnt register. AKA you shoot something standing right in front of you and the software was programed to ignore the hit to make the game more challenging. (Yes, I have a higher end computer and lag is not an excuse.)

Now I wont go as far as claiming every single aspect of a game should be interactive, and that you should be able to wander about endlessly, as there is a thing called a developers budget. However, 1985 was a long time ago and this stuff was an issue back then! Oh might I mention that 1985 games cost a quarter of what they do now? Not to mention you could buy PC games used. I dont understand with all the games out there priority #1 for a developer cant be: Dont make game so people can hop over a 1 foot high box!

I realize "get a life you old fart" might be one response, yet I think almost 25 years of gaming idiocy begets a rant or two.

CharmyBee
June 23rd, 2009, 12:25 AM
We can all blame Halo for inventingrevolutionizing FPS games for giving you a 'cinematic experience' with the auto regenerating Cower Shield.

.Maleficus.
June 23rd, 2009, 12:30 AM
1. In CoD, you can jump over any obstacle that a human could reasonably jump over. Those you can't jump over, you can get over by pressing the "use" button (the A button on an Xbox, I don't play the PC version).

2. That's not to make the game longer, it's a game design where the enemies come in as waves, one of the objectives being kill the wave. And in both CoD 2 and 4 (I don't play WoW much) the enemies all came from reasonable areas. No random spawning that I noticed.

3. Don't let them stab you next time :).

4. Maybe a problem with the PC version, because every time I've played CoD: WoW on my Xbox my hits work (assuming I actually hit the guy).

If you want to be able to jump over everything, play Halo. CoD wasn't meant to be an "arcade" type shooter - it's trying to be the every-elusive "simulation" sytle shooter.

Lateforgym
June 23rd, 2009, 12:43 AM
Male,

I play the PC version, maybe thats the problem. For example most objects you can navigate, then you will get to an area where the object is lower then what you have navigated in the past, suddenly you cant get over it. Interesting to know that the console acts differently.

MaxIBoy
June 23rd, 2009, 12:49 AM
If you want to be able to jump over everything, play Halo.What? Halo has to be the lamest, most movement-restricting FPS I've ever played. Remind me to not even try CoD.

Lateforgym
June 23rd, 2009, 01:41 AM
Another example of issues on the PC version. Im at the very end and I cant enter the German Stronghold because it wont let me jump over the sand bags, yet they can send swarms after me who jump over the sand bags like olympic track stars.

By example of the software developer (PC version) Germans in WWII were track heros and Russians had trouble jumping over an empty bottle of vodka.

Lateforgym
June 23rd, 2009, 01:53 AM
Opps I spoke too soon. Apparantly because the game designers have no imagination, I cant jump over a two foot high sandbag (which the Germans can coming at me), Im supposed to sit there for ten minutes, then suddenly one of my Russian comrades blows up the pesky sand bag after which a "nuke" scenaro occurs and of course I die.

Dont buy World at War, PC. COD went down hard in this version.

BTW I also had to restart the whole Shuri Castle level since a glitch had it so a door didnt open, so I wasted two hours checking every single corner of the level.

Icehuck
June 23rd, 2009, 01:58 AM
These issues didn't exist on the Xbox 360 version. Though, who plays CoD4 or 5 for single player? The whole point of that game is the online play.

Bölvağur
June 23rd, 2009, 02:07 AM
These problems are very cod related and not so fps related at all.

1. congrats, you either found a map bug or it was designed to be like that, in cod4 there where only blockers at places that would get you outside the map... well almost... you still can jump on most things and with enough skills you can jump outside few of the maps in cod4 and Im guessitng 5 is the same.

2. this is what we call game play and requires teamwork XOR stragedy XOR skills, any one of those is enough but more is better.
3. dont play the single player? Pick easier level or servers... practice not getting stabbed?

4. hit boxes wasn't that big of a problem.. it was actually the first problem I heard about after cod4 came out (cod5 is based on it and only has minimal advancements from it) but it wasn't THAT bad, I rarely noticed anything on servers with ping lower than 80. I've never (with low ping) complained about not hitting, not with shooting down shipers with deagle form the other end of the map, shooting enemies through walls by the radar when they shoot or or after shooting them with 3 shots from ak 47 (expect lag of about 5 bullets).
When you miss it is mostly your aim.. please record and play back in slow motion.

What cod really misses is the warsow movements, and how brilliant the duel settings are... like you dont die within 1 second just because your oponment camped about.

also cod only should alow the AKs and degle, no extra things, no perks, no kill bonuses and anti camp explosives in your pocket.

However, 1985 was a long time ago and this stuff was an issue back then! Oh might I mention that 1985 games cost a quarter of what they do now?
1. There was no fps back in 1985 so there couldnt have been those problems.
They had much simpler maps, they didnt have mp over internet or even lan, even though I had a dialup..
2. things gets more expensive... going to see a film costs about 350% of what it used to when I first went.

I've played games since 1986 and got on average 20+ hours per week in games past few years (and about 32-35 hr average 2006) and feel well at home with your "I am an old grumpy gamer" but the things you picked on this time just missed every time :(