PDA

View Full Version : How can I Cross-Compile a program

Ferralll
June 22nd, 2009, 09:53 PM
I have a simple program that I have been writing and would like to be able to compile it on my linux box in to a .exe file, and be able to use it at work on my windows computer.

For the life of me, I can not figure out how to do this. It is either very difficult, or very easy. Either way, I just can not seem to find the answer.

I have written a FORTRAN 77 program, and use g77 to compile it normally.
I would like to find a way to compile it in to a .exe, or change the normal a.out in to a .exe

The program just gets data, crunches some numbers, and spits it back out.

Also, there is no chance that I can download any sort of compiler or any programs on to my windows computer (very strict no free ware policy at work...)

Mirge
June 22nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
Compile it on Linux, then on a Windows computer of your own if available (or borrow a friend's).. compile on Windows.

Or compile in Windows, and run it using wine on linux.

Habbit
June 22nd, 2009, 10:36 PM
$ sudo apt-get install mingw32This will install a MinGW cross compiler that targets the Windows platform. You can build programs with the usual commands (gcc, etc.) by prefixing "i586-mingw32msvc-" to the command name, then run them with Wine. For example:
$ i586-mingw32msvc-g++ hello.cc -o hello.exe
$ wine hello.exe
Hello World!

Ferralll
July 13th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Thanks Habbit for the help...

And I think I am almost there. The "apt-get install mingw32" gave me a wonderful cross-compiler for C++ and those things... but I can not figure out how to do the same thing for FORTRAN 77.

I am trying to figure it out, but so far have had no luck.

pepperphd
July 13th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Can I link to third party, unsupported software that I've never tested or researched ever, like the following FORTRAN to C converter I found on Google? http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Programming/C_and_C___Tools_and_Components/Fortran_to_C_Converter__f2c_.html

Ferralll
July 13th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I might just be retarded... but I can not figure out how the f2c program works.

I have tried using f2c on some programs (including a 3 line helloworld) and I can not get c++, g++ or gcc to compile it. My c++ is very rusty, but I looked at the code that it spit out, and I have no idea what the heck it is saying.

But I saw that mingw has a g77 compiler that can be used with it... I just have no idea how to get it on to my computer. (Not to mention... I have very little idea of how the mingw32 works. The website says that it is for windows and not for linux, so it is of little help to me)

jpkotta
July 13th, 2009, 08:40 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=643778

Kind of old, and I haven't tried it, but I'll bet it will work with minimal hiccups.

Ferralll
July 14th, 2009, 12:51 PM
jpkotta >> Thankyou very much for the link.

I followed the directions on that page, and it worked perfectly. Now I do not have to learn C so that I can cross compile (which I was about ready to give up and do) and I can use my F77.

Thanks again!!