PDA

View Full Version : Who's got a powerful pc?

blur xc
June 22nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
Any extreme overclockers on here? Not that I'm one by any means, but I just built a new pc w/ some modest goodness inside of it and since browsing these forums have noticed how many people have old, slow computers. Is it because a high percentage of people gave up on windows becasue their systems didn't have the horse power to run at a tolerable speed?

I mean- 1ghz processors, 256mb ram, 40gig hdd, etc... My 'old' worn down, soon to be retired computer is a 3ghz p4, 1gig ram windows machine. I imagine if I wiped it and re installed everything it'd run considerably better. It's been several years on this install of windows. Tons and tons of junk ahve been installed, removed, installed, removed, over and over again. I don't know much about the system registry but I'm sure it's a mess. I've been thinking about rebuilding it for the kids to use, so they can mess it up all they want and not hurt my computer.

BM

Dharmachakra
June 22nd, 2009, 06:54 PM
I've got a decent rig... 9600GT, 2GB RAM, 500GB disk drive...

The 2.2 GHz processor kills me though.

Skripka
June 22nd, 2009, 07:04 PM
Does my rig count? (see sig) :popcorn:

PS-yes, I've turned a 3core into a quadcore, and then overclocked it 30%.

ohbuntu
June 22nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Err... does my rig count? (specs in my sig). Stock frequency of a Core i7 920 is 2.66Ghz and mine is currently running at 3.8Ghz, thanks to the great Noctua NH-U12P air cooler.

I upgraded from an AthlonXP 2400/1GB RAM/Radeon 9600/200GB HDD, so it was like a quantum leap for me, at least on the desktop. Thank God I was pretty much used to dual core processors in notebooks, otherwise I would have probably imagined that I jumped ahead a good 50 years or so.

Therion
June 22nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
My current rig (Obelisk II) runs an Intel C2D E8400 @ 3.0Ghz, with 4GB of Corsair (recently added 2GB when NewEgg had an insane sale on the memory), an nVidia 8800GTS (320MB, older G94 core) and dual WD SATA hard drives (three actually but the third sits dormant in the drive cage 99% of the time): a 320GB system drive and a 160GB "slave" for data and backups and what not.

Obelisk II was built a couple years ago and for the first time in a long while I'm not feeling the urge to upgrade my hardware. I attribute this, mainly, to getting out of Windows-based gaming since that also took me out of the near constant upgrade rat-race that is inherent in Windows-gaming. My rig is no monster-machine by any stretch of the imagination but it sure beats the 1.2Ghz AMD 4200+, ATI 9800 Pro, 1GB of SDRAM "clunker" I recently cleaned and buffed up for a kid in need of a PC.

I'm shocked to hear myself "saying" this, but I'm really enjoying the break from upgrading.

LowSky
June 22nd, 2009, 07:12 PM
I "was using a semi up to date machine with a Phenom x4 9950 at 2.6Ghz
4GB of RAM and a Nvidia 8600GT, it has somehow become my HTPC until I get a new cooler and power supply for my older Athlon 64 3700+ at 2.2Ghz, which does run decently for a single core.

I was trying to "get by" on my Netbook, but its honestly too annoying for constant use. Dont ge tme wrong I love it for quick uses like email and web browsing, but anything more it stinks. and its horrible at playing any video (I'm on HULU way too much). I cant wait to have my quad core up and running for everyday use again.

I am thinking of getting a newer AM3 chip but I fell like wating it out until things get more availible and cheaper.

blur xc
June 22nd, 2009, 07:26 PM
I guess I should've posted my new rig-

intel core 2 duo wolfdale 3ghz
2 x 2gb gskill 1066 pc8500 ram
bfg tech nvidia geforce 9600 512mb vid card
WD 500gb hdd
Zalman cnps9500at cpu cooler- yeah, overkill but it's cool (pun) to see it running at 41c under full load for 20min straight :D
Antec 300 case (way cool case)
Gigabyte ep45-ud3p mobo

Having issues w/ the ram in dual channel mode, so I'm probably going to have to rma the mobo, which sucks. I'll be down a computer until I get it back...or I could just suck it up and run the memory in single channel mode, but that sucks too, not as much in the short term, but forever...

BM

SuperSonic4
June 22nd, 2009, 07:29 PM
Yes. It works for me with no slowdown/swap usage.

Therefore it is powerful enough for me and so powerful

Dark Aspect
June 22nd, 2009, 07:33 PM
Not as powerful as I would like it to be, check the first one in my sig. Without overclocking, it would drive me insane since I like to play games.

cmay
June 22nd, 2009, 07:57 PM
i have one pc with specs 2 ghz amd64 and 4 gigabyte ram. its running open solaris.
all other i ave are below 1025 mb ram limit.

the one i use most are amd 3000++ and 1052 mb ram. it runs better than all the ohter.
no matter if it is open solaris or ubuntu i use on it. i dont need anymore than this for my usage apparently.

i am trying to build sound studio out of it right now using ubuntu since i have 64studio problems at the moment.

steveneddy
June 22nd, 2009, 10:57 PM
Most of us who do have older hardware still use it because it delivers great performance with Linux as opposed to any Windows OS you throw at it.

One really doesn't NEED the fastest hardware to run acceptable well with Linux in general and Ubuntu specifically.

My machines:

Laptop - 2.5 years old - Intel Core 2 Duo - 2 Ghz and 2 Gig RAM - runs very well on Hardy

Laptop - Same specs as above only brand new - runs very well on Intrepid

Desktop - AMD 1 Ghz processor - 1 Gig RAM - runs very well on Hardy

Desktop - Pentium III @ 900 Mhz and 512 mb RAM (board won't take more than 512 mb) and still runs very well on Hardy.

I would love to have newer hardware (Intel Quad Core would be nice with 4+ Gig RAM)
but my machines are all running acceptably well and I see no reason to buy any more hardware unless it it really needed.

The first laptop listed is my personal laptop that I use on the road EVERY DAY for the last 2.5 years and it is still faster than ANY Vista or XP machine I come across.

We don't game and occasionally watch a movie on the PC's. They perform better IMHO than anything I see in the stores besides Macs.

After Christmas this year I'm gonna buy a Quad Core laptop to replace this one, but I don't think I really have to, I just want to.

The two desktops are 10+ years old and I expect to get at least that out of this laptop.

I know Windows users that chunk perfectly good laptops after two years because with Windows they expect the slow down (due to the software <bastards>) and replace them needlessly, thinking they are junk.

.Maleficus.
June 23rd, 2009, 12:40 AM
My rig:

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 @ 3.0GHz (stock)
EVGA Geforce 8800GT OC (factory overclock)
4GB G.Skill PC2-8000 @ 1200MHz
Asus Maximus II Formula
200GB Western Digital
250GB Western Digital
Zalman ZM600-HP 600W heatpipe cooled PSU

It's alright for today's standards. Everything except for the memory is at stock speeds because my watercooling setup is sitting unassembled in my basement. I'll get to it eventually.

My old rig:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @3.4GHz (air)
Sapphire Radeon X1600Pro (factory overclock)
2GB Corsair PC2-6400 @ 750MHz
EVGA 680i
No hard drive anymore
Hiper 580W PSU

Meh by today's standards. You might be wondering why the memory is underclocked - I had the FSB running 2:1, CPU to memory. Scores a bit higher on benchmarks than when it's at 800MHz with the same FSB. The 1GHz overclock on air wasn't too shabby though.

PurposeOfReason
June 23rd, 2009, 12:42 AM
I've got a 3.8Ghz i7 920. Going for 4.0 today. Wish I had water for this setup but money is a big tight.:popcorn:

deathsshadow77
June 23rd, 2009, 12:48 AM
Built this rig 2 years ago.
Core 2 Duo e6600 2.4GHz overclocked to 2.7GHz, ati 4850, 2 gigs of ram and a 250gb hdd. only thing i upgraded was the graphics card (started with an ati 1950xt).

Vostrocity
June 23rd, 2009, 12:54 AM
I have THE most low-end C2D ever, a 1.4Ghz. And it's a regular C2D, not a ULV or something. That's pretty much the main bottleneck for me, and sadly I can't do anything about it.

jrusso2
June 23rd, 2009, 12:55 AM
While I do have a 3 ghz core 2 duo with 4 gigs of ram.

I do get a certain perverse pleasure in making my old and obsolete hardware useful by installing Linux.

izizzle
June 23rd, 2009, 12:58 AM
I've got a pretty beast computer IMHO. See sig. I'm getting THIS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128380) motherboard hopefully this week, so it will be even better.

BTW, anyone have any problems with ubuntu and the motherboard I am about to get?

PurposeOfReason
June 23rd, 2009, 01:10 AM
I've got a pretty beast computer IMHO. See sig. I'm getting THIS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128380) motherboard hopefully this week, so it will be even better.

BTW, anyone have any problems with ubuntu and the motherboard I am about to get?
I've used gigabyte before with no problems. I swear by them and ASUS.

.Maleficus.
June 23rd, 2009, 01:56 AM

I never had problems with Ubuntu and Gigabyte before but I did have the northbridge fry on me. The design of your board looks extremely similar to the one I had, and if the northbridge heatsink is anything like mine, you'll want to put a fan on it as soon as you install it in the case.

Firestem4
June 23rd, 2009, 02:21 AM
Well...I'm inbetween functional rigs. As of now half of my computer is awesome, half is old. none of it is working =)

My computer, officially (recently) dubbed Frankestein (because i keep bringing this thing back from the dead), just got a major overhaul.

It now has (and since i ordered the wrong ram, Will have);

AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0ghz [Regor-core] CPU
4gb Crucial DDR3 1600MHZ RAM
ATI (DiamondMM card) X1950Pro 512mb GPU (Older card but the ATI Catalyst 9.3 drivers made an astounding performance boost. The card is good for another year IMO)
1x250g/b 7200rpm HDD, 1x 500gb 7200RPM hdd
Asus Silent Knight II CPU Cooler
Tagain El Diablo Case (A beast of a computer case...By definition it is a Super Tower)
Gigabyte MA7707-UD3P AMD Chipset Motherboard (AM3 socket)
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme-Music edition

MaxIBoy
June 23rd, 2009, 02:30 AM
Phenom X4 9550 @ 2200 Mhz (I've overclocked it before, but my machine sounds like a jet engine when I do.)
Radeon HD 4850 (MSI R4850, basically has an aftermarket cooler out of the box.)
Gigabyte MA786GPM-UID2H motherboard (MicroATX form factor, hybrid graphics chipset, Ultra Durable 3 technology.)
4 gigs DDR2-1066 G.Skill RAM (4*1 gig, massive heat spreaders.)
160 Gib IDE hard drive
250 Gib SATA hard drive

izizzle
June 23rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Well...I'm inbetween functional rigs. As of now half of my computer is awesome, half is old. none of it is working =)

My computer, officially (recently) dubbed Frankestein (because i keep bringing this thing back from the dead), just got a major overhaul.

It now has (and since i ordered the wrong ram, Will have);

AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0ghz [Regor-core] CPU
4gb Crucial DDR3 1600MHZ RAM
ATI (DiamondMM card) X1950Pro 512mb GPU (Older card but the ATI Catalyst 9.3 drivers made an astounding performance boost. The card is good for another year IMO)
1x250g/b 7200rpm HDD, 1x 500gb 7200RPM hdd
Asus Silent Knight II CPU Cooler
Tagain El Diablo Case (A beast of a computer case...By definition it is a Super Tower)
Gigabyte MA7707-UD3P AMD Chipset Motherboard (AM3 socket)
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme-Music edition

Hey I have that case too! It really is a BEAST of a case and weighs a ton. I love it. I'm trying to replace the side-window netting with a plexiglass window.

Firestem4
June 23rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
Hey I have that case too! It really is a BEAST of a case and weighs a ton. I love it. I'm trying to replace the side-window netting with a plexiglass window.

It does weigh a ton but it doesn't matter. I'm not moving it around very often =). Its a great case though, Next one I get will be the newer generation El Diablo