PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] jaunty shipping sans openoffice base?

dgposey
June 22nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
This seems like such a stupid question that I'm embarrassed to ask it, but google has no answers and neither do I, so here goes...

Does a default install of Jaunty not install OpenOffice.org Base (MS Access clone)? Or is it hidden? This is what appeared to happen when I installed it in my computer lab. I'm running Hardy on my personal laptop and it was installed there no problem.

As a side note, I've been singing the praises of Ubuntu for the past few days as an ICT volunteer here in Kenya. It's made me almost ethereal that my students have something other than Win XP to use now.

coffeecat
June 22nd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Does a default install of Jaunty not install OpenOffice.org Base (MS Access clone)? Or is it hidden?

That's interesting. The Jaunty installation that I'm posting from doesn't have OpenOffice base installed. I've done a reasonable amount of tweaking since I installed, but the only thing I've uninstalled is the Transmission BT client. So the answer seems to be that a default Jaunty doesn't include OO base.

In Synaptic it's showing as not installed but available, so it's installable if you need it.

By the way, congratulations for your work with Ubuntu. Excellent!

Dragonbite
June 22nd, 2009, 06:23 PM
Base isn't installed by default, but is easily added via Synaptic. Search under OpenOffice or even "openoffice.org-base".