PDA

View Full Version : The new Parted Magic wiped all my drives :(

swoll1980
June 22nd, 2009, 03:29 PM
Everything, both hard drives, my iPod, and even my magicjack. I had most everything backed up. All I lost was my homework for this week. I have to reinstall everything, Linux Windows, all my apps, but oh well, that's what I get. I guess this is just a lesson to keep my backups current. I have no idea what happens. I was just checking it out for new features, and got a unknown hard drive error. When I rebooted it was all gone. I threw a live cd in to check the drive, and they were wiped.

artir
June 22nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
O_O, how was that. It looks like a rm -rf /

andrewabc
June 22nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
How exactly did it wipe multiple hard drives, data on an ipod etc, without you noticing?

swoll1980
June 22nd, 2009, 09:28 PM
How exactly did it wipe multiple hard drives, data on an ipod etc, without you noticing?

What do you mean? I did notice it. That's why I posted this.

Hated On Mostly
June 23rd, 2009, 03:06 AM
What do you mean? I did notice it. That's why I posted this.

I think he is asking exactly what you did? What options did you select? What programs/commands did you run? What was the entire process, from boot to reboot that ended up with everything deleted? Right now no one has a clue what you did, we need details. It sounds like you just popped the CD in and it deleted everything which sounds crazy for Parted Magic to do. So exactly what happened?

swoll1980
June 23rd, 2009, 04:24 AM
I think he is asking exactly what you did? What options did you select? What programs/commands did you run? What was the entire process, from boot to reboot that ended up with everything deleted? Right now no one has a clue what you did, we need details. It sounds like you just popped the CD in and it deleted everything which sounds crazy for Parted Magic to do. So exactly what happened?

I didn't do anything. I was just checking it out. It's almost like a desktop distro now. I used the mounting tool to mount my Windows drive, and it said unknown error of some sort. Then I tried my Ubuntu drive, and it said the same thing. I said oh well, thinking it was just a bug, and rebooted. I got nothing. I tried a Grub fix. There was nothing there. I threw the Ubuntu live cd in to check the files, and everything was empty.