PDA

View Full Version : Indie Linux Game Studio

Sigurd Suhm
June 22nd, 2009, 12:25 PM
Hello everyone

My name is Sigurd Suhm and I am a hobby game developer. I have a passion for game programming especially and for some reason that passion has grown even stronger after moving to Linux.
By now I've read quite a lot of discussions about the current state of gaming in Linux and I figured this would be a great place for me to try and contribute to the community. After all the whole idea of an open source community is basically that everyone can help out.

Lately I've been having trouble coming up with new ideas and finding out where to go to keep pushing myself forward in programming. And that's when I figured it would be fun to see if anyone would be up for giving it a shot at a small casual indie Linux game studio. What I'm looking for is basically just someone to program and develop with. Personally I'm just thinking casual 2 and 3D games made for the Linux platform. Of course making ports for other platforms would definately be possible.

If anyone should be interested then by all means go ahead and let me know. You could reply here or throw me a mail at:
sigurdsuhm (at) hotmail (dot) com

On a more technical side note I'm mainly using C/C++ but I do have some experience with other things like VB, C#, Java and a bit of Assembly. I was thinking for Linux the best way to go would probably be SDL and OpenGL.

Happy programming and Linux'ing everyone
Regards
Sigurd

curvedinfinity
June 23rd, 2009, 05:07 AM
Hey Sigurd, on behalf of the community, thanks for looking to help! Do you have any experience making games? If you don't, I must warn you that it can take a long time to make games, especially if you are learning everything you need to know along the way.

If that is the case, I would highly recommend planning for the absolute smallest babystep goals. For instance, make a nice 2D game instead of a 3D one. Plan for only 3 levels instead of 20. Make 3 kinds of enemies as opposed to 10.

Just remember that above all, your contribution will be valued by normal users only if it is complete, so aim for the ground and dream about what you'll do after you get there. ;)

Sigurd Suhm
June 23rd, 2009, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the reply curvedinfinity.
I do have some experience by now in making games and I'm aware of the amount of time and dedication it can take to get even small projects up and running. That was also why I didn't suggest making the new hit MMO or something like that. Hehe...

I just think it would be great to find a few people to team up with to actually try and get something done. Of course I'm also doing it for myself. But I've just received so much from this great community since I arrived. And since I actually have some knowledge when it comes to programming I figured this would be a great way to give something back.

jimmyhacker
June 23rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
i recommend you to make a Cube 2/Sauerbraten mod.Its so easy,just modify data/menus.cfg and delete all maps by packages/base,2-click sauerbraten_unix executable,and type /newmap and make some maps,save them with /savemap desiredmapname and put your new map in data/menus.cfg after finding this line= $mainmaps "desiredmapname"

example,you did a map with name jc_indie

go to data/menus.cfg

find this line:

$mainmaps "blah blah old sauerbraten maps wich deleted at beginning"

and delete old sauerbraten maps names and put your maps name inside he quotes

also modify with gimp data/logo.png

its so easy.

or,if you are more advanced,make a Quake 3 mod.they really rock!make some maps with .pk3 extension,if you know SDL,c++,and OpenGL make your engine.you can find cool textures on the web.google it!

also,find Warzone in synaptic and play that game a bit.a good ideea.you can make a big game like Red Alert.

Also,a game like gta 2 or even 3 would be really cool!

punong_bisyonaryo
December 5th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Hi there! How's the game studio comin along?:)

linuxforartists
December 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Your project sounds really cool! I know you're mainly using C/C++, but here's a helpful resource:

Pygame - Python Game Development (http://www.pygame.org/news.html)

Good luck!