PDA

View Full Version : p2p packages

jc87
January 19th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I was making some downloads using torrents ( that i will share with other people later because not to do soo would be a promise to be a bad person :) ) , and it occurred me an idea :

Gnu/Linux is in general a big community of sharing , why not extend that to bandwidth sharing ? why not to make a special repos that would work in a similar way to p2p ? in which my repos were like ed2k or .torrent ? wouldt that be cheaper than maintain a full server ?

Off course this is just an idea , and to work it would mean a lot off code writing in the package manager area , but hey , it would not be a good way to contribute to the community ?

prizrak
January 19th, 2006, 04:02 PM
There has been a thread like that laready.

jc87
January 19th, 2006, 04:09 PM
There has been a thread like that laready.

Sorry i done a search before starting the thread using the word p2p but i didn´t find none (just about p2p programs) , so i deduced there was none , my mistake.

UbuWu
January 19th, 2006, 04:47 PM
why not to make a special repos that would work in a similar way to p2p ? in which my repos were like ed2k or .torrent ? wouldt that be cheaper than maintain a full server ?

Off course this is just an idea , and to work it would mean a lot off code writing in the package manager area , but hey , it would not be a good way to contribute to the community ?

It has already been done: apt-torrent http://sianka.free.fr/

Azion
January 19th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Never knew that existed. Handy idea