PDA

View Full Version : Do you like my error page?

K.Y.A
June 22nd, 2009, 03:02 AM
Title page says it all. It's for my server. When someone goes to one of my 8 websites and clicks a link that is bad or types a wrong url it goes to this:

http://www.directoryadmin.info/SOME%20ODD%20ERROR.html

monsterstack
June 22nd, 2009, 03:09 AM
Not bad, but if you're trying to persuade people to stop using IE of all browsers, the best way to do it would be to have this in every page on every site that you run,

if(window.XMLHttpRequest){ //proceed as normal
}
else
{
if(window.ActiveXObject){
document.write "Error 404 Page Not Found"
}
}

If everybody did that, people would soon change their ways.

K.Y.A
June 22nd, 2009, 03:14 AM
Not bad, but if you're trying to persuade people to stop using IE of all browsers, the best way to do it would be to have this in every page on every site that you run,

}
else
{
document.write "Error 404 Page Not Found"
}
}If everybody did that, people would soon change their ways.

How do I make it change to the link instead of say error 404?

monsterstack
June 22nd, 2009, 03:19 AM
How do I make it change to the link instead of say error 404?

Just my luck for making a joke like that! Just use the usual <a href="blah"> html you would normally. Are you serious, though? You want to send all IE users to the sin bin? It's your decision after all :)

K.Y.A
June 22nd, 2009, 03:21 AM
Just my luck for making a joke like that! Just use the usual <a href="blah"> html you would normally. Are you serious, though? You want to send all IE users to the sin bin? It's your decision after all :)

All my sites are Linux based anyway, except one, which will not have this feature. My sites:

www.zephyruslinux.info
www.thelinuxhowto.co.nr
www.directoryadmin.info
www.wbaker.co.nr
mail.directoryadmin.info

SerenityKill3r
June 22nd, 2009, 03:23 AM
You would be a god among mere mortals if you do this :D

CharmyBee
June 22nd, 2009, 03:25 AM
Hey help I can't get into the limbo menu!!!

K.Y.A
June 22nd, 2009, 03:29 AM
Hey help I can't get into the limbo menu!!!

Hit escape, go to game options and find the page that has the game controls. Find the thing that says limbo menu and make the bind letter L again.

K.Y.A
June 22nd, 2009, 03:31 AM
Like this:

}
else
{
<a href="http://www.directoryadmin.info/SOME%20ODD%20ERROR.html">
}
}

monsterstack
June 22nd, 2009, 03:35 AM
Like this:

Almost:

}
else
{
document.write('<a href="http://www.directoryadmin.info/SOME%20ODD%20ERROR.html">text</a>')
}
}

I think. I feel like I'm helping you commit a crime. I shall have no further part of this. :P

K.Y.A
June 22nd, 2009, 03:36 AM
Almost:

}
else
{
document.write('<a href="http://www.directoryadmin.info/SOME%20ODD%20ERROR.html">')
}
}I think. I feel like I'm helping you commit a crime. I shall have no further part of this. :P

Bill Gates is a crime :)

EDIT: This is html, right? I guess I put it into the header?
EDIT2:oooo this looks like css or javahell.

K.Y.A
June 22nd, 2009, 03:43 AM
I can still view the site in windows explorer :(

monsterstack
June 22nd, 2009, 03:45 AM
I can still view the site in windows explorer :(

Yes, it's javascript.

<script language="javascript">
}
else
{
document.write('<a href="lololol">zomg</a>')
}
}
</script>

Better?

K.Y.A
June 22nd, 2009, 04:02 AM
Yes, it's javascript.

<script language="javascript">
}
else
{
document.write('<a href="lololol">zomg</a>')
}
}
</script>Better?

I put it in the body, saved it to server, and ran it in my XP virtual machine using idiot explorer 7. IT still works :( see screenshot.

monsterstack
June 22nd, 2009, 04:12 AM
I put it in the body, saved it to server, and ran it in my XP virtual machine using idiot explorer 7. IT still works :( see screenshot.

Hrmm, how odd. But then I don't use javascript or Windows much so how would I know? :P Perhaps you should try this instead:

<!--[if IE]>
<script type="text/javascript">
document.write("etc stuff etc")
</script>
<![endif]-->

or maybe this:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" TYPE="text/javascript">
<!--
if( -1 != navigator.userAgent.
indexOf ("MSIE") )
{
location.href="error_page.html";
}
else
{
// load the other version
location.href="other_page.html";
}
-->
</SCRIPT>

Be careful!! And if it still doesn't work, read up on browser-specific code. Start here (http://perishablepress.com/press/2006/09/04/fun-with-downlevel-conditional-comments/).

K.Y.A
June 22nd, 2009, 04:22 AM
Yay, the first one kinda works, but it just says "etc stuff etc" on top of screen, lol.

If I do the
('<a href="lololol">zomg</a>')

It just creates a link that says "zomg"

K.Y.A
June 22nd, 2009, 04:24 AM
I tried

<!--[if IE]>
document.write("<meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="0;url=http://www.directoryadmin.info/SOME%20ODD%20ERROR.html">")
</script>
<![endif]-->And nothing happens...

EDIT: just a typo in code. IT WORKS NOW THANK YOU! I LOVE YOU (well not really).

K.Y.A
June 22nd, 2009, 04:30 AM
Haha, the funniest part is when you visit www.thelinuxhowto.co.nr a piece of java code above the new code makes it take like 3 seconds to load, and you think its gonna work, then just crashes to the error page. Just like a Windows error. :D:D:D

monsterstack
June 22nd, 2009, 04:32 AM
Well I'm glad you fixed it. :P I'm sorry I thought you just wanted a link to the error page. To do a redirect you could also use "window.location" javascript:

<!--[if IE]>
window.location = "path/to/error/page.html"
</script>
<![endif]-->

That'll take the poor IE user directly to the error page. Heh heh. So evil.

frup
June 22nd, 2009, 06:16 AM
On a website that I did the web design on and used to help administer, we used to disallow IE for quite a few things.

IE users could become members,
IE users were given an error message stating that there browser was not standards compliant,
IE users could not download the content, which was the entire point of the site.

From this we got about 55% firefox usage, 5% opera usage and 2% safari usage.

IE 7 came out shortly afterwards. We then sold the website and the new owner allowed IE and pretty much ruined everything that was good about the site.

It saved us a lot of bandwidth and allowed us to use valid XHTML. I couldn't be bothered installing IE's for linux so wasn't going to try make everything work in IE and disallowing it was far easier.

We were getting about 90,000 hits per month.

-grubby
June 22nd, 2009, 11:45 AM
Whoa, wait a second! Isn't one of the main "selling" points of Linux choice? Isn't it a user's choice to use Internet Explorer? Go ahead, ignore Internet Explorer support, but don't purposely break the website for users of operating systems and/or browsers you don't approve of.

P.S: I don't consider it very 'new age' to edit text files to get my graphical hardware working ;)

frup
June 22nd, 2009, 01:09 PM
Choice is excellent, when you know of the different options.

cc8balla
June 22nd, 2009, 01:36 PM
I find it funny that people hate IE so much (trust me, I am one of them) but then code their website, and go to this thread's lengths, to make their website inaccessable to IE users. So basically, you wish to NOT have 50% of the market share visiting your site? Seems awful stupid to me.

IE7 isn't hard to code for, I do it all the time. IE6 is the nightmare, and MOST have upgraded to that. That is a browser I will not code for anymore, and I will not just cut IE users off my site, because well....

...I'm not an elitist, lazy, idiot.

Skripka
June 22nd, 2009, 02:27 PM
I find it funny that people hate IE so much (trust me, I am one of them) but then code their website, and go to this thread's lengths, to make their website inaccessable to IE users. So basically, you wish to NOT have 50% of the market share visiting your site? Seems awful stupid to me.

My thoughts exactly.

Wiebelhaus
June 22nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
That's cool.

Simian Man
June 22nd, 2009, 02:34 PM
No, it's retarded and makes you look extremely unprofessional - even to a fellow Linux user like me.

RATM_Owns
June 22nd, 2009, 02:56 PM
What about mah error page?
http://ratm.net63.net/NONEXISTANTLINK