PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Can i install xubuntu to another HDD

Besian
June 21st, 2009, 11:47 PM
I have a question : i have 2 PC's one is Pentium4 and the other is Pentium3 , i have formatted accidentally the HDD of the P3 , and now can i connect the HDD of the P3 in the P4 and install xubuntu ,and then return the HDD on the P3 will it work
And can i install it with USB drive because i dont have a CDRW to burn xubuntu :(

or can i install another distro like this ,maybe Debian

starcraft.man
June 22nd, 2009, 12:46 AM
I have a question : i have 2 PC's one is Pentium4 and the other is Pentium3 , i have formatted accidentally the HDD of the P3 , and now can i connect the HDD of the P3 in the P4 and install xubuntu ,and then return the HDD on the P3 will it work

Yes and no. This is ill advised for the simple reason that when you install Linux, your hardware is automatically detected and configured during installation so all works upon start up (mostly). If you install on a different motherboard/components, this won't be so, you might have to manually tweak some things to get it working right. You can work around this but it's just easier to install on the machine you need to, especially for novices.

And can i install it with USB drive because i dont have a CDRW to burn xubuntu :(
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

or can i install another distro like this ,maybe Debian
You can install any distro you want.